Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Tbf @Stevo985 I think we are all guilty of doing this. When we have consistently said a player is crap and they actually aren't we use any small example and extrapolate it to say they were rubbish for the whole game. People have done it for Hogan, Onomah and Whelan this season a lot. 

No I just think he was crap. Did some ok things, did a lot of crap things. 

Last week he was good for a whole 45 minutes. I think that coupled with Whelan being the scapegoat of the month has led to people exaggerating yesterday’s performance. 

I say it again, if Whelan had played like that he’d be getting slaughtered. 

Edited by Stevo985

10 hours ago, striker said:

Has done enough to keep the shirt for the next game and will only get better as a DM if he is given more time there.

Honestly feel it will be a mistake to sell him in this window as he can cover several positions as a utility player unless the kid from Manchester is signed on loan.

It's a difficult one Striker isn't it.

I agree if we sign Axel,  I would rather we Keep Jedi & Thor as the other 2 DMC players.

Jedi and his fitness issues/Playing for Country will still leave us enough cover on a rotation basis that say where Jedi is not in the squad we would see Thor coming on for the last 20/30 minutes in games after Axel gives a fine display in the first 60/70.

I don't see how Whelan fits in as the team looks to progress this season.

I'm quite surprised at some of the comments in this thread, given its the first time I've read it in nearly a year. 

I've not seen nearly enough of him to say he has been 'one of the worst signings ever' and given I barely missed a game last season home or away I've probably seen more than most. 

This might sound revisionist now I realise, but I've seen enough glimpses of him to *think* there's a player in there, in particular he was very good against Rotherham last season until he went off injured. Also against Wigan in the cup earlier this season. I appreciate the poor quality of opposition there, but I can see why he's a successful international for a good side and why we signed him. 

He has been good in his cameos lately too as well as against Barnsley. Not earth shattering but he did a tidy job. He really isn't up there with Tonev. 

I wouldn't be heart broken if we sold him, I'd definitely bring Jedinak back in, but I'd be happy to keep him till the end of the season at least. It's a slog and we need all the capable footballers we can get. 

• Like 4

One thing that BB does over Whelan and Jedinak is pass it off to a player then sprint full pelt into space to get the ball back. Happened time and again on Saturday but Elmo just ignored him half the time and launched it. BB's fitness and movement off the ball is hugely impressive, if we use it more rather than just launching it then some of these strong wins could turn into thrashings. 

• Like 2

Whelan would be excellent if he wasn't debilitatingly slow. Thor doesn't read the game well but makes up for it with his pace and hustle. 

Both aren't ideal. We need someone who can do a bit of both. I hope that Tuanzebe kid can be that player if he comes.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Whelan would be excellent if he wasn't debilitatingly slow. Thor doesn't read the game well but makes up for it with his pace and hustle. 

Both aren't ideal. We need someone who can do a bit of both. I hope that Tuanzebe kid can be that player if he comes.

Yes, Whelan is on the brink of being finished as a footballer, he's physically declined to the point where even the Championship can look too much for him. On top of that he is extremely negative on the ball and when he does give it away it often sets up a great opportunity/ chance for the opposition.

• Like 1

I thought he played really well Saturday.

He was always hassling, forcing them to play backwards and he made some nice interlinking plays with our other CM's which gave them license to get forward quicker. 

He was a bit sloppy on occasion, but he was very solid. 

Against the better teams in the league, I could see him and Jedi combining nicely in a 4-2-3-1 with CH probably making way.  His mobility is a huge factor in the way we could play in the break. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kbdrum88 said:

Looks like he’s set his mind on staying and keeping his place and interestingly mentions the squad change being down to being better drilled in training, Agnew effect ???

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/birkir-bjarnason-aston-villa-transfer-14186711

That's a shame. Money down the drain if there was a deal on the table and we've not taken it. 

Let's hope he gets his performance level up and we get the same kind of money for him in the Summer because there is no chance he'll be contributing at PL level.

Bjarnason: “This is much better for me (DM). I am not a winger who dribbles past 3/4 defenders. In this league, wingers are often supposed to do that and the coaches want a lot of creativity from them. It is much better for me to be more involved in the midfield.” #avfc

https://twitter.com/villareport/status/955465661790158848

• Like 2

On 1/21/2018 at 00:19, terrytini said:

In my view he was nowhere near as consistent as, for the most part, Whelan has been in terms of reading where he would be needed and snuffing things out.

I lost track of the number of times there seemed to be no protection for the back 4 especially second half.

He got around more, which, at home against average opposition I probably prefer to having a blocker, but against better sides I’d rather have Whelan or Jedi doing the job and do the defensive part better leaving other stuff to other players.

I can understand what you are saying.

I thought he did well in "stoking the boiler"....keeping the offensive players fed, by interceptions and a bit of a "pick pocketing", similar to Stan in his hay day.

I don't think he has the ability to defend the center backs like Jed and to a lesser extent Whelan does.

However, I think he is more mobile than them......horses for courses I guess.

just being picky, I thought we lost out to a lot of aerial ball, which Jed would have helped with.....but hey ho, the manager chooses.

sometimes its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

ps He was marked 8 in the B,ham Mail with Hogan & Grealish.

• Like 1

I'd take his energy and enthusiam in the defensive midfield role over Whelans tidy backwards passes. I've said it before, but Whelan is too slow for this league. Really enjoying BB playing that role, he's not always pretty but he gives 100% and puts it about as much as possible. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's a shame. Money down the drain if there was a deal on the table and we've not taken it. 

Let's hope he gets his performance level up and we get the same kind of money for him in the Summer because there is no chance he'll be contributing at PL level.

It's not really that much though we paid 2m to get s replaced would be another loan and I think he can do a job until end of season. Then I agree sell in the summer.

i think if we go up a lot of our first timers will be of interest to a host of first teamers

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Money down the drain is the £1m + wages paid for Glenn Whelan in the summer.

Bjarnason, at PL level, would be as he is now - a rotation option.  I'm fine with that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Money down the drain is the £1m + wages paid for Glenn Whelan in the summer.

Bjarnason, at PL level, would be as he is now - a rotation option.  I'm fine with that.

I agree with you about BB being ahead of Whelan but lets not forget what the later has done for us this season already. 

1 million + wages was/is a snip even if he never plays again!

Â