Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

On 21/01/2018 at 00:53, supermon said:

Well I guess it shows how badly we need a young dynamic DM, with Thors pace, Jedi's aerial prowess and Whelan's ability to read the game, add to that someone who can pass n we'd probably have the next Kante 

Sounds more like a tall white guy with a black and white streaked beard

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I agree with you.  But Elphick may not.   

I've seen this a few times. However well Elphick played when he stepped in, I can't believe he would have a problem with John Terry coming back and replacing him. Other positions and players would have a point - might feel a bit aggrieved - but it's not only our captain, it's John Terry. I reckon he'll have been ok with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

I've seen this a few times. However well Elphick played when he stepped in, I can't believe he would have a problem with John Terry coming back and replacing him. Other positions and players would have a point - might feel a bit aggrieved - but it's not only our captain, it's John Terry. I reckon he'll have been ok with it. 

Can you tell us how he felt about other things, too?     ;)

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The Blues game and the game after I'm certain he got MOTM. He was very good in those games too.

I've edited my post above. I THINK he got it the game after as well but can't be sure.

I think Bjarnasson was very good in his 45 minutes against Forest.
I think he's been atrocious in pretty much every game he played before that.

And I don't think he was good on Saturday. In fact i think he was poor and was given the benefit of the doubt because his name isn't Glenn Whelan.

If Whelan is fit he should be playing ahead of BB. He's a better player.

We normally agree on most things but I have to disagree on this one. 

Against Barnsley his energy and running was top notch and not utilised by other players enough. Whelan is a tougher tackler. Bjarnason has the mobility that Whelan doesn't. I don't mind Whelan at all in all honesty, he still reads the play well but his mind is quicker than his body. 

If I saw Whelan getting the ball, passing it off and having the energy to sprint into space to recieve the ball again and offer an option like Bjarnason did against Barnsley then I'd be hugely impressed but he can't. They both have wayward passing at times but Bjarnason is faster (significantly) in moving play forward either through running with the ball, passing it or just giving people in possession further back an option of a pass with his movement. If Whelan did that then I doubt people would slate him. 

I don't get the hate for Whelan but I don't get you not appreciating what Bjarnason brings to the table on and off the ball in the DM role. I'm not going to judge his performances now based on what he's done previously in other positions. 

He's not the next coming but his off the ball work against Barnsley was immense. We look a lot better going forward now he's in there whilst still not shipping goals. 

I understand is just a few games and form is temporary and he has to keep producing but you don't think he even is producing which I don't get. 

If Whelan goes back in there we'll be back to grinding out wins rather than attacking quickly from deep and putting teams away as we have been. 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2018 at 14:19, VILLAMARV said:

Utility player in ok if unspectacular performance shocker

His extra mobility highlights the deficiency in the other two imo. Doesn't mean for me that when everyone is fully fit he isn't 3rd choice again though.

He might however be more use than Lansbury and or Onomah in the middle. Work rate goes a long way. He's miles behind those two in technical ability though imo.

Its only when we can attract a better quality of player, who can do all the things you mention, hence at present we chop and change, to get the suitable attributes to face the opposition.

He has things Whelan and Jedi don't.....but they have things he don't.....its tricky.

its horses for courses.

• Like 1

There was a moment against Forest when he was the last man and made sure a player couldn't get a cross in on the break. He was at RB position. I was surprised to see him there but he had covered for Elmo who had gone forward. 

It's this kind of covering and tracking back Whelan and Jed wouldn't have the legs for. 

58 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There was a moment against Forest when he was the last man and made sure a player couldn't get a cross in on the break. He was at RB position. I was surprised to see him there but he had covered for Elmo who had gone forward. 

It's this kind of covering and tracking back Whelan and Jed wouldn't have the legs for. 

I mean, Whelan and Jedinak both do that literally all the time (cover for the fullbacks)

Its defensive midfield 101. If a full back goes forward you drop in and cover for them when possession gets turned over. 

Thats like complimenting a goalkeeper for using his hands. 

Edited by Stevo985

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean, Whelan and Jedinak both do that literally all the time. 

Its defensive midfield 101. If a full back goes forward you drop in and cover for them when possession gets turned over. 

Thats like complimenting a goalkeeper for using his hands. 

He followed a fast players chasing a ball over the top all the way from the half way line. No way would Jed or Whelan have managed to keep up. They would have had to drop more centrally to make sure there was bodies. The pace just wouldn't have been there to chase the player. 

This is no dig at Whelan or Jed. It's just a piece of play I noticed from Thor that was something I don't think the others would have the legs to do.  Maybe covering for Elmo was wrong choice of words as it was more tracking a player all the way to the byline and easing him out. 

It would be good if I could post that play but I doubt there will be highlights of it. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

I can't believe people would prefer Bjarnason over a fit Jedinak in the DM role. We win, like, 75% of matches in which Jedinak plays that role or something ridiculous. Bjarnson has had - charitably - about 100 good minutes over three matches in the last month. 

He's less shit at DM than he is elsewhere, but in no way is he a better option than a fit Jedinak in that role. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't believe people would prefer Bjarnason over a fit Jedinak in the DM role. We win, like, 75% of matches in which Jedinak plays that role or something ridiculous. Bjarnson has had - charitably - about 100 good minutes over three matches in the last month. 

He's less shit at DM than he is elsewhere, but in no way is he a better option than a fit Jedinak in that role. 

I don't think anyone would prefer him. The problem is Jed is never fit! 

Â