Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

Just now, Rob182 said:

He has. Jedinak and Whelan have made mistakes that have lead directly to opposition goals. Bjarnason made the odd mistake that just gave the opposition the ball in the middle of the park, which came to nothing.

Also, you mentioned earlier that if Whelan had put in this performance that he’d be slated, but the difference is that Whelan is not as quick or energetic as Bjarnason, so he couldn’t have put in the same performance (and neither could Jedinak, for what it’s worth). We all know Bjarnason isn’t perfect, but I like his workrate in central midfield. He worked hard until the final minute today. We don’t see that consistent level of effort from our other CMs.

Because BB has played what? 135 league minutes this season? Of course he's made less mistakes.

In his time here he's made plenty more though. Maybe they haven't led to goals, but they're still mistakes.

He was crap today. The game passed him by.

We’ll have to agree to disagree @Stevo985. Me and many others around me seemed to think he was an important part of the team today, using his energy to help crowd out the opposition and make timely interceptions. Energy that we have missed in central midfield of late.

• Like 2

In my view he was nowhere near as consistent as, for the most part, Whelan has been in terms of reading where he would be needed and snuffing things out.

I lost track of the number of times there seemed to be no protection for the back 4 especially second half.

He got around more, which, at home against average opposition I probably prefer to having a blocker, but against better sides I’d rather have Whelan or Jedi doing the job and do the defensive part better leaving other stuff to other players.

• Like 1

Jedi is massively limited and lacks mobility, but is really good at the things he's good at.

Whelan used to be pretty good at the role he still has, but has lost a lot of his ability and mobility. He still reads the game well, but his lack of pace thwarts this. 

Thor is OK-ish and way more mobile and a bit better with the ball, rather we play him than the other 2 in home games and games we plan to dominate. 

Jedi can come in when we wan't to sure things up.

Whelan can go in the summer hopefully.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He was crap today. The game passed him by.

I disagree with both of the above claims. I'm not saying he was worth an 8 or 9 but he was far from crap. I thought he made several important interventions including diverting a shot over the bar that could of been a goal for Barnsley. The ref gave us a goal kick for it so it went unnoticed to many (including the shocking poor Channel 5 Championship programme) but everyone around me in the centre of the Holte saw the deflection that their forward was claiming.

• Like 3

For me he did okay today, he wasn't brilliant, but he certainly wasn't poor either. He's by nature a more attacking player and I thought he was disciplined and gave us decent energy. 

I think of the three, he's the best football in terms of making things happen, but Whelan has better positioning and a better knowledge of the position. Whelan also brings a bit more physicality. Jedinak is the worst of the three as a footballer, but he is big; and it is big that we need.

• Like 2

I thought he was ok in some respects today, not sure if he really gave us enough defensive stability though. Sure, you wouldn't expect us to need too much of a defensive linchpin at home to Barnsley, but we were getting overrun in the last 30.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supermon said:

Well I guess it shows how badly we need a young dynamic DM, with Thors pace, Jedi's aerial prowess and Whelan's ability to read the game, add to that someone who can pass n we'd probably have the next Kante 

Young man utd kid we want on loan. Final jigsaw in our promotion push. Shame we can't keep him but if he helps get us up...

Thor did well. Did what Whelan does but offers more going forward. When Barnsley got on top would have been nice to bring on Jedi to nullify them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Did his job the same as Whelan does, but Jedi is a must for me after watching that game. Just for his height alone from dead balls.

I noted this earlier - not just height but positional awareness and willingness to attack and clear it with a header. It really does depend who we're playing against, as some teams are physically bigger and more of a threat than others but I felt we were vulnerable from set pieces all game. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villan_007 said:

He really wasn't. That's overly harsh. He made a few sloppy passes. But he made a fair few crucial blocks and interceptions and took care of all the mucky stuff quite well and gave con and Jack more freedom.

Yeah defo not a 10 but crap is way off the mark.

Tbf @Stevo985 I think we are all guilty of doing this. When we have consistently said a player is crap and they actually aren't we use any small example and extrapolate it to say they were rubbish for the whole game. People have done it for Hogan, Onomah and Whelan this season a lot. 

Hopefully yesterday's sloppy defending has nothing to do with him. One thing is clear: we benefit from Jedinak's strength and superior aerial prowess especially on set pieces. Jedi somewhat makes up for Johnstone's inability to come off his line. 

He’s deffo better as a DM with a clearly defined role than any other position he’s played. I think he could be only guilty of trying too hard as he was a headless chicken in a few of the early games he played.

I saw someone on twitter call him ‘Barney’ yesterday, I’d never heard that before but thought it was quite good.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

In my opinion, his energy and mobility are what we need in that position but with more football intelligence.

Although it looks like he may be sold, I do think we could do with him as a squad player because of his attributes and ability to play in a few positions. However, ultimately this is the area where we need a new signing for me.

Has done enough to keep the shirt for the next game and will only get better as a DM if he is given more time there.

Honestly feel it will be a mistake to sell him in this window as he can cover several positions as a utility player unless the kid from Manchester is signed on loan.

• Like 2

Â