Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

As much as I don't rate him, and I don't, he deserves to keep his place in the team in that position. He brought an energy and a willingness to that position that Whelan and Jedinak never could.
So many times I see Whelan bypassed and chasing the ball. Whelan is probably better on the ball but in this league, we need an engine in the middle and maybe, just maybe, he could be what we've missed in there. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, reykjavik said:

Finally more and more people are beginning to admit Birkir can do something.  Snodgrass, Grealish and Birkir were best against Forest.  Why was Birkir performing better now than before?  Two reason, firstly he got 45 minutes not just shitty 5 or 15 minutes.  Secondly it is pretty clear he is leaving the club.  He needs to play more as preparation for World Cup.

Birkir played safe against Forest.  But he is not DM he should play more attacking.  In this forum some people are maintaining that Birkir might be good for Seria A team but not for Aston Villa.  Does someone believes that second division in England is better and more difficult than first division in Italy?  If AV wants to be one of the best team, as we all hope, the manager has to realize that Birkir is definately key player for PL.  How many Villa players have experience at national level, have played in final tournament for his national team, are experience at top level teams and have been national champion, in addition have also great Champion League experience?

If AV will promoted, Birkir is definately one of the key players for Aston Villa.  I hope Steve Bruce will open his eyes.  I hope SB shows us that he can substitute at half time, like last game, but will not behave like a robot and stop to make automatic changes in 65 minutes or after 80 minutes.

June 27th 2016, Birkir was rated 3 by footballmagazine Kicker, But Rooney, Kane, Sterling got 5 (one is best, five is worst) and Sturridge 4.  Why was Birkir underestimated by Steve Bruce?  And why are many people surprised he showed something at English Chamiponship League level, finally he got some minutes to play?

Some people will say, that was two years ago.  I will reply, what about the national game against Turkey?  Then some people will still stay, small countries have another atmosphere and players play with the heart.  I will replay, why in hell can SB not create such atmosphere that players believe in the club and play with the heart?  That is every managers main task to motivate players.

UTV.  I wish all of you, happy new Aston Villa year.

I agree with parts of that.

Think he'd be more useful centrally in a box to box role. His main assets with us has for me been his mobility and his runs into the box from deep.

Don't agree he would be a key player for us in the PL, I dont think he would be in the Championship either fwiw. But he could be a useful part of the squad and even first 11 this season if used in another role.

Being a "utility player" can be a career (at the particular club) killer as you never get comfortable in 1 position.

16 minutes ago, Rodders said:

good Iuck to him and let him make the move. Whilst he has had a couple of improved performances, he is still no long term solution, option for us. If we can move him on now, I'd be happy to do that 

Yeah, I agree. If getting rid of Thor means we can free up the wages for a striker, then that’s good news. I do like Birkir, but it hasn’t really worked out for him so far.

5 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Just as we found a position he’s good in, and just as he starts to look good...

Parma haven’t a pot to piss in so im assuing the green light he talked about is a free.  No chance id let him go on a free

On 13/01/2018 at 00:49, tom_avfc said:

I genuinely think he may be one of the worst players I’ve seen play for Villa. Tries hard but is so technically poor it’s unbelievable. 

I’m guessing you haven’t been watching Villa play all that long then. ;)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I’m guessing you haven’t been watching Villa play all that long then. ;)

Only 20 years so probably not as long as most on here. I’ll stand by my comment as well to be honest. At the time I said that he’d done next to nothing for us and genuinely looked to have amongst the worst technical ability I’ve seen at Villa. 

One good half in defensive midfield is a start I suppose. I still think he’s unlikely to get much game time with Jedinak to come back and Whelan still ahead of him in Bruce’s mind I’d suggest. The fact it’s taken him about 5 positions to put in a positive performance is slightly concerning also. 

Hopefully he continues to progress but I don’t see him ever playing more than a handful of games for us. 

I agree with Tom. 

Yes he had a good 45 mins on Saturday but everything prior to that has been awful. I’d go along with him and say he’s one of the worst players I’ve ever seen at Villa. Not THE worst. But he’s in the conversation. 

If someone is willing to pay us money for him then sell him. 45 minutes doesn’t change my mind that he’s nowhere near good enough. 

• Like 1

Given a chance in his natural position I believe he would be a very good player for us, but he's not going to get a real chance in our midfield set up which is a shame. Would prefer him to stay but needs to make a move that works for him as it definitely hasn't worked so far. 

2 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Only 20 years so probably not as long as most on here. I’ll stand by my comment as well to be honest. At the time I said that he’d done next to nothing for us and genuinely looked to have amongst the worst technical ability I’ve seen at Villa. 

One good half in defensive midfield is a start I suppose. I still think he’s unlikely to get much game time with Jedinak to come back and Whelan still ahead of him in Bruce’s mind I’d suggest. The fact it’s taken him about 5 positions to put in a positive performance is slightly concerning also. 

Hopefully he continues to progress but I don’t see him ever playing more than a handful of games for us. 

Guess you just weren’t watching when Dhemba Djemba was strutting his stuff then. 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree with Tom. 

Yes he had a good 45 mins on Saturday but everything prior to that has been awful. I’d go along with him and say he’s one of the worst players I’ve ever seen at Villa. Not THE worst. But he’s in the conversation. 

If someone is willing to pay us money for him then sell him. 45 minutes doesn’t change my mind that he’s nowhere near good enough. 

What about his 15 min cameo against Bristol where he scored? his 2 last league apperances have been good. 

To be fair.. i dont think hes been great either.. but players do need time to settle sometimes. Would like to see more of him rather than Whelan if Jedinak is out before we ship him out. We seemed to have control of a game with him at CM.. we dont get that with Jedinak or Whelan. He gave us a lot of energy and calm in possession. Curious to see a little more now at CM.

Edited by KSV

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree with Tom. 

I know you said he isnt the worst, but as bad as he has been in most games this guy for me was the worst . he was utter shite 

image.jpeg.0297172589daf7598090fff7aee34ceb.jpeg

Edited by Demitri_C

Â