Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

Horses for courses innit.  I'd probably bench Thor for Sheffield when we are likely to need more defensive solidity (assuming Jedi / Whelan are fit), but start him at home to Burton when we should be attacking and aiming to up our goal difference,

• Like 2

Id prefer Jedinak for Sheffield as hes by far the better defensive minded of the 2 and i think we will need that.

However id like to see us shift to a more attacking line up as the season draws on and i think Thor offers much more here.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't we bring back Jedinak against Sheffield United recently and he was woeful/made errors for both their goals?

Yes, he played in central defence, scored one and was at fault for their goals. Particularly the second one, if I recall correctly.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't we bring back Jedinak against Sheffield United recently and he was woeful/made errors for both their goals?

As a defensive midfielder he is very decent - as a centre half not so as we saw against the blades.

Just now, Eastie said:

As a defensive midfielder he is very decent - as a centre half not so as we saw against the blades.

I agree - but we brought him back arguably "too soon" previously, and it didn't work out so well.

Should we drop a relatively-in-form (OMG! only 120 mins or so!) player to get him in straight away again?

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I agree - but we brought him back arguably "too soon" previously, and it didn't work out so well.

Should we drop a relatively-in-form (OMG! only 120 mins or so!) player to get him in straight away again?

50/50 on this one - merits to be had in both cases - looking at the opposition though I think jedinak might be the better choice for this game and his height could also be an advantage - I expect sheff to attack is quite a lot and hopefully we can pick them off on the break .

Just now, bobzy said:

IMO we certainly should not.

He (Jedi) needs to be 100% fit and in match form to start games, both to avoid yet another injury and because he's already immobile and limited as it is. Same goes for Whelan.

1 minute ago, sne said:

IMO we certainly should not.

He (Jedi) needs to be 100% fit and in match form to start games, both to avoid yet another injury and because he's already immobile and limited as it is. Same goes for Whelan.

He certainly needs to be be fully for bit how would he be in match form without starting games ?

i certainly see the benefit of barney more in home games where we are looking to be more on the front foot and dictate 

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

He certainly needs to be be fully for bit how would he be in match form without starting games ?

i certainly see the benefit of barney more in home games where we are looking to be more on the front foot and dictate 

Sub appearances and U23's?

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

50/50 on this one - merits to be had in both cases - looking at the opposition though I think jedinak might be the better choice for this game and his height could also be an advantage - I expect sheff to attack is quite a lot and hopefully we can pick them off on the break .

Interesting view - Sheffield United tend to keep the ball on the ground and a lot of their good work comes from the midfield links between Fleck, Brooks and Duffy; none of who are of any great height (I'd guess they're all about 5ft 9 or so).  We need legs in there.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Sub appearances and U23's?

The odd 20 minutes isn’t going to help much - if jedinak is fit I’d be tempted to play him at sheff - if not stick with barney - either way whelan would be 3rd choice for me .

Bruce showed he is not afraid of dropping in form players when elphick missed out ,  I think jedinak may offer more in this particular match - but not so much at home .

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Interesting view - Sheffield United tend to keep the ball on the ground and a lot of their good work comes from the midfield links between Fleck, Brooks and Duffy; none of who are of any great height (I'd guess they're all about 5ft 9 or so).  We need legs in there.

interesting point!

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Was thinking more about his height at set pieces for us than his heading ability in midfield but I’d be happy enough with either to be honest - both have their merits and it’s a nice position to be in 

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Have to stick with thor just for the message it sends. This period now we need everyone motivated and fighting to be part of the team. Would knock a few players, including thor if he was dropped. 

I agree with you.  But Elphick may not.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Whelan got MOTM 3 games in a row during our good run earlier in the season (well, I think it was 3. Was at least 2).

Wasnt that when fans were being sarcastic when he was out of the team and voting him man of the match?

Â