Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

6 minutes ago, a m ole said:

More energy than Whelan, more mobility than  Jedinak.

Providing we only play him in this position, keep him. He’s an asset as a central midfielder.

While that is true, he has less physicality than both, offers nothing aerially and a reason why we're not looking assured from set pieces today IMO. I think he's the perfect understudy for Hourihane. 

I thought he was ok today, and offers genuine competition to Whelan and Jedinak for that DM spot. Overall though i think that's a terrible selection of players and I'm pretty sure the lad from UTD (if he is as good as reported) will have that position nailed down within weeks of joining. 

He did ok today. I thought we hated backwards passing and Birkir was the biggest "offender" of that today. Does the job but I think Jedinak offers more in the air and in physicality. Still think he deserves another start after today.

I actually really like Bjarnason in this defence midfield position. I had him as a contender for MOTM today, after Hogan and Adomah.

He made a few small errors, but other than that, he covered a huge amount of ground, was constantly busting his balls for the team and made a number of smart interceptions. He also didn’t overplay it, which Jedinak can sometimes be guilty of doing. Bjarnason often played the simple sideways ball which we needed, and used to ‘start again’.

In the space of two games I’ve gone from being happy with him getting sold this month, to wanting him to solidify a place in the team next to Hourihane. 

• Like 2

I think it’s not a case of choosing which one to start.

if we are going to continue using a DM, then imo you choose depending on the opposition - Jedi gives us more cover from aerial threats  and Thor gets around more against weaker opposition and Whelan is just sort of there . . .

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't recall seeing an elbow - was he the elbower or the elbowed?

Their striker was booked for putting his arm in BB’s face but a booking was about right, arm a bit high but he wasn’t swinging elbows.

4 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Their striker was booked for putting his arm in BB’s face but a booking was about right, arm a bit high but he wasn’t swinging elbows.

Ah, I thought it was Grealish that had taken that one. It looked like a push in the face from where I was with the palm of the hand, but I am a long way away.

He tidied up well a few times today and did what he had to do but arguably that DM role wasn’t required today and would have been better suited to a second striker 

that said the formation is working so why not stick with it , it’s his  position to lose now  , he’s made fewer **** ups than whelan and Jed after all ....

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I prefer Jedinak by far. 

I think at home against lower half teams, Birkir is a good option. Probably even away matches against lower half teams, but if we need to win a match, I am picking Jedinak as well. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

He really hasn't.

He has. Jedinak and Whelan have made mistakes that have lead directly to opposition goals. Bjarnason made the odd mistake that just gave the opposition the ball in the middle of the park, which came to nothing.

Also, you mentioned earlier that if Whelan had put in this performance that he’d be slated, but the difference is that Whelan is not as quick or energetic as Bjarnason, so he couldn’t have put in the same performance (and neither could Jedinak, for what it’s worth). We all know Bjarnason isn’t perfect, but I like his workrate in central midfield. He worked hard until the final minute today. We don’t see that consistent level of effort from our other CMs.

• Like 1

Â