Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I can understand what you are saying.

I thought he did well in "stoking the boiler"....keeping the offensive players fed, by interceptions and a bit of a "pick pocketing", similar to Stan in his hay day.

I don't think he has the ability to defend the center backs like Jed and to a lesser extent Whelan does.

However, I think he is more mobile than them......horses for courses I guess.

just being picky, I thought we lost out to a lot of aerial ball, which Jed would have helped with.....but hey ho, the manager chooses.

sometimes its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

ps He was marked 8 in the B,ham Mail with Hogan & Grealish.

I thought he did ok. But wasn’t as much of a shield as Whelan who I think is underrated. As it happens I don’t think we need that much of a shield against most teams and in all those cases prefer the forward linking aspect which as you say is Birkir.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I agree with you about BB being ahead of Whelan but lets not forget what the later has done for us this season already. 

1 million + wages was/is a snip even if he never plays again!

Generally speaking Whelan has been poor so I’m not sure what he has done this season to deserve your praise and it will be interesting to see how much of a snip he has been when Villa try to recoup his fee in the summer?

Bjarnson is a much more energetic player than either Whelan or Jedinak with better ability on the ball and it’s been obvious to me for some time that he should be given a run of games at DM. Already shown he could be quite decent there if given time to learn the DM role.

I also feel it would be a mistake to sell him this window when Villa are now pushing for automatic promotion as he can cover several positions if injuries hit again. I’d far rather Villa get rid of Whelan who was always going to be a poor signing.

Wouldn't be sorry to see Tish or Onomah leave either if the lad from Manchester is coming in.

Edited by striker
  • Like 3

Just now, striker said:

Generally speaking Whelan has been poor so I’m not sure what he has done this season to deserve your praise and it will be interesting to see how much of a snip he has been when Villa try to recoup his fee in the summer?

Bjarnson is a much more energetic player than either Whelan or Jedinak with better ability on the ball and it’s been obvious to me for some time that he should be given a run of games at DM. Already shown he could be quite decent there if given time to learn the DM role.

I also feel it would be a mistake to sell him this window when Villa are now pushing for automatic promotion as he can cover several positions if injuries hit again. I’d far rather Villa get rid of Whelan who was always going to be a poor signing.

In fairness you were calling for barney to be given a try in this role a few weeks ago - certainly gives us more energy and looks comfortable so far there 

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

In fairness you were calling for barney to be given a try in this role a few weeks ago - certainly gives us more energy and looks comfortable so far there 

Thanks mate. It could be the new coach has decided to try him there?

Just now, striker said:

Thanks mate. It could be the new coach has decided to try him there?

I think that'll be Steve Bruce who picks the team to be honest. Also as it's a defensive position it would fall under Calderwoods remit? Though obviously they work as a unit. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Money down the drain is the £1m + wages paid for Glenn Whelan in the summer.

Bjarnason, at PL level, would be as he is now - a rotation option.  I'm fine with that.

So we can't afford more money down the drain :D

Whelan is comfortably a better player than BB. And Whelan is crap.

Neither will contribute at PL level. 

It really is amazing what 45 good minutes does for a player.

2 hours ago, striker said:

Wouldn't be sorry to see Tish or Onomah leave either if the lad from Manchester is coming in.

Whelen was a part of the team that has got us to this position so his efforts cant be dismissed, no matter our own persona;l feelings about him. 

Why are we going to try and get money back?  

As for Bjarnson he has good these last 2 days but thats all its been....2 games. Talk of putting Whelans experience out just yet is a bit premature, dont you think?

Dont think we will be getting rid of any of them though.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

So we can't afford more money down the drain :D

Whelan is comfortably a better player than BB. And Whelan is crap.

Neither will contribute at PL level. 

It really is amazing what 45 good minutes does for a player.

Whelan was a better player than BB. I find it zero coincidence that Whelan hasn’t played for 3 games and they’ve been arguably our best 3 performances of the season.

That isn’t to say that Bjarnason is the answer, but I’d much rather have him next season than Whelan. By a very long way.

Edit: 2 and a half games ;)

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Â