Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is he away with Iceland at the moment? They have a friendly with Mexico in the early hours of Friday morning.

Don't think so, all Nordic countries have a "Winter tour" when they play sort of a development team consisting of mostly players from their national league and other Nordic leagues as they are between seasons or have a winter break.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Milosevic was a child hero of mine, ignoring the spitting. It's when I first experienced the Internet and found out he wore a bandana playing abroad. I raided my Dad's draws for a hanky to put on my head. As a result of Savo and searching the draws I found my first ever packaged condom and a load of pocket knives. I stole the crappest looking one assuming it wouldn't be missed. My dad let me keep it but his rubbers were hidden in a jewelry box afterwards, haha. It's mental what stays with you yet I can't remember what I had for tea, two days ago. 

Thanks for the journey that you led me on, Savo and that top corner belter will stay with me forever. 

Ironically I created an account called SuperSavo or something like that but couldn't remember the details to log in. Yet I remember the hanky/rubber Johnny story from when I was 10/11. Mental. 

Very underrated player. Very, very good technique and close control for such an awkward looking guy, he could drop deep, hold it up and play lovely little passes. His goal scoring record wasn't actually that bad for us on reflection, but a string of eye catching misses made him a bit of a joke in the media, shame for such a young player at the time. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Milosevic was a child hero of mine, ignoring the spitting. It's when I first experienced the Internet and found out he wore a bandana playing abroad. I raided my Dad's draws for a hanky to put on my head. As a result of Savo and searching the draws I found my first ever packaged condom and a load of pocket knives. I stole the crappest looking one assuming it wouldn't be missed. My dad let me keep it but his rubbers were hidden in a jewelry box afterwards, haha. It's mental what stays with you yet I can't remember what I had for tea, two days ago. 

Thanks for the journey that you led me on, Savo and that top corner belter will stay with me forever. 

Ironically I created an account called SuperSavo or something like that but couldn't remember the details to log in. Yet I remember the hanky/rubber Johnny story from when I was 10/11. Mental. 

Met Savo in a multi-storey car park in Sutton or somewhere when I was about 8. We scrambled about for a scrap of paper to get his autograph on, he didn't mind waiting. Loved him!

Savo was as far as I can remember extremely hard done by by the refs.

Every time he went into a 50/50 challenge or header against a defender he always got the call against him. To the point I think he got fed up and didn't even bother towards the end.

Same thing has happened to a fair number of mostly foreign target man type strikers, and still does.

I remember when he (Savo) first signed and seemed to go an age without scoring. There was a feeling amongst most fans that once he got 1, he would go on to score loads of goals for us. I was in the Holte when he scored a hatrick (i think it was against Coventry though i might be wrong) and the place just exploded. A very fond memory. 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I remember when he (Savo) first signed and seemed to go an age without scoring. There was a feeling amongst most fans that once he got 1, he would go on to score loads of goals for us. I was in the Holte when he scored a hatrick (i think it was against Coventry though i might be wrong) and the place just exploded. A very fond memory. 

he had great feet for a big man.

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes I also remember the game against Wimbledon which we won 5-0 and he scored 2.

probably the most perfect Villa performance I have ever seen. Wimbledon were on a great run as well at that time

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

probably the most perfect Villa performance I have ever seen. Wimbledon were on a great run as well at that time

The one and only villa game I've seen at Villa Park. With my dad, a ten pounder from stafford. Wearing I think every item of clothing I'd brought for a 3 week holiday. We had 2-3 disallowed as well. Will stay with me for ever.

On 09/02/2017 at 11:43, Wezbid said:

Nice story, this is what supporting your club is meant to mean to people. 

2 hours ago, Villafied said:

The one and only villa game I've seen at Villa Park. With my dad, a ten pounder from stafford. Wearing I think every item of clothing I'd brought for a 3 week holiday. We had 2-3 disallowed as well. Will stay with me for ever.

My memory was it was bloody cold sitting that day on the Holte

45 minutes ago, Regista said:

Concerned about him starting tomorrow. Looked completely lost so far. 

Is also one of those players who steadily jog with no intensity like Stephen Ireland did, infuriates me. 

Early days but I think he looks poor. 

No worries about hiM starting tomorrow with jedinak missing another 3 games - Jed will be missed but bjarnson will do a job for us .

I think he has a job on his hands becoming a regular in the starting line-up.  I think Green and Grealish are better options on the left wing.  I think Amavi is a better wingback and I think both Amavi and Taylor are probably better leftbacks.  I also don't see him ousting any of our centre mids.  It's more likely he'll be the utility player mentioned by @TRO.  That's not damning him with faint praise and it's not writing him off either, because we need players like that.  He'll get plenty of game time and he'll justify his inclusion, plus I also think he's a damn sight more useful than our only other designated utility player, one Mr. Bacuna.

• Like 4

On 2/9/2017 at 09:29, Dr_Pangloss said:

Very underrated player. Very, very good technique and close control for such an awkward looking guy, he could drop deep, hold it up and play lovely little passes. His goal scoring record wasn't actually that bad for us on reflection, but a string of eye catching misses made him a bit of a joke in the media, shame for such a young player at the time. 

Another example of where we used to be..

We used to be able to judge players like Savo and say, no, you're not for us....how the mighty have fallen.

Â