James Bree

Barney_avfc

26 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Is this move definitely on or is it mostly speculation and wishful thinking at the moment? seems to be just Hourihane that we are trying to poach?  

Well, in so far as everything is speculation before we see Mr Bree ITSOTP then yes, it's speculation, but all the internet snippets are strongly suggesting it's a goer.

It's not much I know, but I watched him closely in the Barnsley - Leeds match the other day.

He looked full of energy. quite a big lad (over 6 ft?), good on the ball, tracked back well. Caught out a few times but he is young and will learn. I also felt he might be a good option to switch inside at some point.

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Is this move definitely on or is it mostly speculation and wishful thinking at the moment? seems to be just Hourihane that we are trying to poach?  

Big T also followed him and Hourihane on twitter. Unless they are doing negotiations via DM I think it's a reasonably decent indicator. 

• Like 1

Its great to have a full back that can cross, but I remember Gidman having disagreements with Saunders about the energy required to keep getting up and down the field for 90 odd minutes.....it ended with a parting of the ways.

My first prerequisite for a full back is to be able to defend.

46 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its great to have a full back that can cross, but I remember Gidman having disagreements with Saunders about the energy required to keep getting up and down the field for 90 odd minutes.....it ended with a parting of the ways.

Which is fine—but the way I see it, I am beyond frustrated and jaded by the amount of our attacks that stop dead because Hutton can't cross. To be fair to him, I think this is another thing that is exasperated by the inability of our midfielders to do anything other than move the ball around. I actually like Hutton in many ways: he seems to have one of the best attitudes in the club, but he is limited. We need to be looking to improve as a football team—all the players with any attacking vision have left. Bree sounds promising to me but what do I know, I've never seen him play. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree, but it does depend on the way the team plays.

Our fullbacks get forward quite a lot, which means having a fullback who is awful when he gets in the final third effects us quite badly.

If Bree was excellent at crossing but slightly worse than Hutton at defending, then I think that would be a willing sacrifice to make as I'd say the positive woudl outweight the negatives.

(FWIW I've never seen Bree play so I have no idea about his ability at crossing or defending!)

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree, but it does depend on the way the team plays.

Our fullbacks get forward quite a lot, which means having a fullback who is awful when he gets in the final third effects us quite badly.

If Bree was excellent at crossing but slightly worse than Hutton at defending, then I think that would be a willing sacrifice to make as I'd say the positive woudl outweight the negatives.

(FWIW I've never seen Bree play so I have no idea about his ability at crossing or defending!)

Interesting, I see your point.

I haven't seen him either.....I may be a bit old fashioned in my views on football, but we do seem to allow opposition players to get back in the game too easily......with attacking full backs you are partially playing with 2 centre backs and 1 DM.....its not enough cover in my book.....I like to see durable players in those roles and interacting solidly with the boys in the middle.....I would train them with rope around their waists...just joking.

I agree, it does depend on how we are set up and I also share the view attack is the best form of defence.....but like Gidman said....its a lot to ask full backs to do both tasks.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â