Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Just shows something wrong somewhere to me. If you have simply accepted you are not good enough as a group then you will never be winners. What about saying something like "The rest of us need to get ourselves closer to his level" or something?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

What a absolute fool. So your basically saying the teams shit and we are a man team. 

Some footballers are so thick honestly. You dont say stuff like this in public

Based from what we've seen this season. Is he wrong?

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Smith has bashed his players in the public twice this season

Hourihane is a squad player who has bene poor most of the season so he has no right to say this in public. As for amith he is manager and he can critise them publicly of they have been shit. And if its only twice  then thats pretty good ss we have seen some real woeful stuff this season.

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hourihane is a squad player who has bene poor most of the season so he has no right to say this in public. As for amith he is manager and he can critise them publicly of they have been shit. And if its only twice  then thats pretty good ss we have seen some real woeful stuff this season.

Even the great Sir Alex Ferguson has said he doesn't believe in slating your own players in public.

It's what Jose Mourinho tends to do at the end of his reign and it always backfires at him.

9 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Sub-standard? I think that is harsh, his ability from dead ball situations definitely isn’t sub-standard. He has such a sweet left foot

It's a pity we aren't allowed special teams like in American Football so we could just bring him on for FK's and bench him the rest of the time!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Losers mentality - maybe why he isn't a good competitor on the pitch 

Why don’t you think he is a competitor? He played a big role in our promotion season last season 

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why don’t you think he is a competitor? He played a big role in our promotion season last season 

He's a fair weather player. 

Its all gravy for him when we're on top, but when under the cosh he goes and hides in a Bush. 

• Like 3

Obviously he's correct in what he's saying about Grealish, but it's not something he should express to anyone outside (or inside) the club.

The hope was that our new owners were going to help the club match Grealish talent and ambition but for various reasons they have not been able to. At least not quick enough.

Can't really blame them, so much had to be done in such a short space of time. Still, not one of the players brought in are anywhere close to the level Grealish is and I don't blame him if he want's to take the next step.

As for Conor, he's sadly below required standard for the PL in open play, just like too many of our players. 

Edit: Should add I'm fine with him as a squad player.

Edited by sne

Technically Conor is great and probably the best finisher at the club, he just doesnt really have the physical attributes for the PL.  It's hard to find players with both, especially when you're signing them for a couple of million quid from Barnsley when you're not even in the PL.  I'm pretty confident we will be strengthening the midfield and Conor will be way down the pecking order or moved on.

The Debate: Why Conor Hourihane is the most underrated player in the Premier League

Welcome to The Debate. Each week, four writers argue a set topic from Monday to Thursday before having their views picked apart in a vodcast/podcast on Friday. Then it’s over to you to choose our winner via a poll on Twitter. Our next topic: who is the most underrated player in the Premier League? Carrie Dunn gives a shout-out to the underdog's underdog - Conor Hourihane.

Aston Villa are, let's face it, pretty terrible this season.

The only reason anybody pays them any attention is to talk up the England chances of Jack Grealish (or indeed to mull over his errant behaviour).

It is time, dear reader, to acknowledge their unsung hero, the man who's so often ignored in favour of flashier but less valuable, less industrious players - midfielder Conor Hourihane.

You've got to feel bad for a player who is massively underrated even by his own manager – when Hourihane was recalled to the Villa starting line-up in February Dean Smith said, “Conor's impressed over the last couple of games when he's come on...He's been starved of games over the period since New Year and he deserves a recall so I thought I'd put him in there."

Leaving aside the fact that it was Smith himself who was rationing Hourihane’s time on the pitch, the Irishman pretty much always impresses – he just needs to be given the chance, and you just need to watch him.

Maybe Hourihane is underrated because of the way he managed to carve out a path to the Premier League, unusual in this current era – working his way up through lower league clubs and by his own admission putting in extra hours on the training pitch, and just sticking it out until he had the chance to really shine. He’s played and scored in all four English divisions. Sure, he might be a bit of a late bloomer, but what’s so wrong with that? Just because he didn’t catch the eye as a teenager, doesn’t mean he’s not a vital asset now.

He’s been shunted into the shadows at Villa Park after the arrival on loan of Danny Drinkwater, who’s been a major disappointment there; with Grealish and John McGinn as automatic first-team picks, there’s been only one midfield place on offer, and in the past few months it’s usually gone to the man who’s been Smith’s big-name signing.

Yet Hourihane scores vital goals for club and country, and adds a crucial element of aggression too. His first goal for Ireland - a fabulous free kick - took the pressure off Mick McCarthy in March 2019 as they pushed for Euro 2020 qualification. He’s scored more than one tremendous set piece for Aston Villa, too, and netted ten times in their Championship promotion season last year.

“Some lads are extremely talented; I’ve got a little bit of talent but I’ve definitely made the most of it over the years. Over the next four or five years I feel they’re going to be the best years of my career,” he told the Irish Times last year.

Hourihane is always keen to stress how hard he works and to downplay his natural ability – but working hard is a talent, and one that’s all too often neglected and overlooked. His level of industry and commitment is magnificent – and not appreciated enough.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/the-debate-why-conor-hourihane-is-the-most-underrated-player-in-the-premier-league_sto7717215/story.shtml

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Based from what we've seen this season. Is he wrong?

Doesn't matter if he is wrong or not. For a current player to make these comments publicly, is disgraceful!

I’ve no problem with what Conor said. You could take it as “Jack needs to leave” or you can also take it as “Villa need to strengthen the squad to give Jack the quality he needs to perform to his potential”.

I don’t think anyone would disagree with the latter.

I’m not a massive fan of Conor Hourihane the footballer, but he’s a fighter and he’s given a lot to this club. Massive overreaction from fans to this comment.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I’ve no problem with what Conor said. You could take it as “Jack needs to leave” or you can also take it as “Villa need to strengthen the squad to give Jack the quality he needs to perform to his potential”.

I don’t think anyone would disagree with the latter.

I’m not a massive fan of Conor Hourihane the footballer, but he’s a fighter and he’s given a lot to this club. Massive overreaction from fans to this comment.

Exactly my thoughts. 

I am actually shocked more Villa fans were watching a podcast on a newspaper in Cork because I dont this has made any mainstream media

No surprise at the overreaction as normal

1 hour ago, Condimentalist said:

Losers mentality - maybe why he isn't a good competitor on the pitch 

Bang on. Bottler.

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He's the biggest coward at the club.

More frustrating than actual bad players like Taylor, he'll try when it's nice and easy before shrivelling away as soon as he's dumped on his arse.

Doesn't matter if it's Man City or Burton Albion. If someone gets into him he hides away from the ball for as long as he can before being taken off.

• Like 2

Â