Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I get not liking Hourihane, I really do even if I disagree with it. But thinking Drinkwater is a superior option to Hourihane is just absurd.

He might pass the ball over short distances slightly better. And saying that is generous. There is nothing else he does better. 

I think Hourihane could feel rightly pissed off that this guy keeps getting time on the pitch. 

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I really disagree with this. You know Drinkwater is there, and he wants the ball.

What use is that when he offers nothing creatively and gets walked past like he's not there?

I'm not even sure you could say this is even that much better than Hourihane.

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I get not liking Hourihane, I really do even if I disagree with it. But thinking Drinkwater is a superior option to Hourihane is just absurd.

The manager does?

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Drinkwater reads the game much, much better than Hourihane. He actually did a lot of good stuff vs. Spurs in possession. Is he playing well? No - he's clearly unfit, and looks completely exposed off the ball. But would we have looked significantly better with Hourihane in there? Also no.

Nakamba + Luiz is the answer for me until McGinn is back or Drinkwater is match fit, but they aren't without their own faults. Someone needs to tell Nakamba that he isn't allowed to shoot, ever. Win the ball, give it to someone better. Receive the ball, move it on to someone better. Don't fanny about.

Hourihane still a useful option off the bench, but I'd be terrified starting him against most teams. He's dangerous in attack, but that isn't our problem - our problem is the space we give teams in the middle of the park, and he's just as guilty of that as anyone else.

Spot on

• Thanks 1

What Conor brings to the table:

- Set pieces: Useful, but Jack is getting better at them. Also would probably do better on the 1 FK in a good position per game that Anwar hits slightly over the bar. Very situational

- Scoring - Usually a one-timer as they call it in hockey on the edge of the box. Again, very situational. Not always going to get those chances.

What Drinkwater brings to the table:

- Moving the ball quickly and accurately. Something that Conor just doesn't have in his locker.

With Drinkwater, you know that with more fitness you'll unlock higher levels from him. With Conor, what you see is what you get. He's bypassed in midfield almost as easily as an unfit Drinkwater.

I guess the choice is between whether or not you want a constant passing output in midfield, or someone who can provide a spark on occasion. I fully understand why he's sitting out. Though I will say is that, while Drinkwater is this unfit, it wouldn't hurt as much to play Conor. But then, he needs to play to get back to match fitness so it's a catch 22.

• Like 2

Completely agree with the pro Drinkwater comments vs Hourihane. Unfortunately Connor is a fair weather player and will look good when the going is easy. When the going gets tough he's nowhere to be seen and I can't possibly see the advantage over Drinkwater who I think has more potential and brings a better balance to midfield for our current relegation scrap. That's not to say he shouldn't be subbed if he starts blowing after 60 mins! But for me Connor has alot to prove at this level and im not sure he can cut it week in week out. Lastly if he does make an appearance this weekend I hope he scores another screamer! 

Edited by birdman
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, TRO said:

The manager does?

Do you think Drinkwater is? I get your reservations about Hourihane and I share them but you get some output however minimal it is with Drinkwater we're getting nothing. I honestly thought when he came he would be an upgrade on what we have but he just looks so off the pace, doesn't look like getting up to pace, and he's not even physical. He got a yellow versus Brighton for a stupid tackle, player going nowhere and didnt even "leave a mark" so to say. Hourihane has at least provided a few goals/assists this season. Having said that I don't think Hourihane would suit this system.

To sum it up our midfield is a mess!

3 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Do you think Drinkwater is? I get your reservations about Hourihane and I share them but you get some output however minimal it is with Drinkwater we're getting nothing. I honestly thought when he came he would be an upgrade on what we have but he just looks so off the pace, doesn't look like getting up to pace, and he's not even physical. He got a yellow versus Brighton for a stupid tackle, player going nowhere and didnt even "leave a mark" so to say. Hourihane has at least provided a few goals/assists this season. Having said that I don't think Hourihane would suit this system.

To sum it up our midfield is a mess!

I think the comments on Drinkwater are right and it shows how difficult it is to get players in, if we sign him, in his condition.

but the problem we have, we don't have enough rounded players who can do a bit of everything and the team plays too open, which compounds the problem as opposed to enhancing it.

back to Conor.....goals for are not such a problem for us, conceding is...so Dean has a dilemma, in being best burnt or scolded.

so the deduction from that should be, we need players, playing who are more likely to be able to stop the opposition....I agree with you, Danny is not a physical specimen, that can readily use his muscle to disrupt opposing play, his fitness level adds to that too, but Conor is not physical either......In view of the Physical presence of Nakamba and Luiz, i am quite surprised we signed Drinkwater...but I am not privvy to how difficult it is, to get players in.

I think we have a real non physical bunch of players in our squad with the odd exception...i am surprised it hasn't been addressed better.

I would guess our league position is making it difficult to sign quality players, not just FFP......top of the championship or bottom of the prem ,is probably not much difference in attracting players.

We have much work to do on this imo.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

A moment in the match summed up Hourihane for me. We've countered, Trez has got the ball into a dangerous position and puts it across after quite a lot of work - a smart decision, this time - yet Hourihane hasn't run full tilt to be there to finish it, and just watches and appeals for the ball when it's still well in play, stops, waits, then half arsed run to get it while it's already out for a corner. I really hope we sell him in the summer. 

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

A moment in the match summed up Hourihane for me. We've countered, Trez has got the ball into a dangerous position and puts it across after quite a lot of work - a smart decision, this time - yet Hourihane hasn't run full tilt to be there to finish it, and just watches and appeals for the ball when it's still well in play, stops, waits, then half arsed run to get it while it's already out for a corner. I really hope we sell him in the summer. 

but that attitude breeds at Training grounds, we have too many like that.

....just saying.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

but that attitude breeds at Training grounds, we have too many like that.

....just saying.

I'm not sure about that TRO. I think it depends a lot on the mentality of the individual in question. IMO, I think Hourihane is scared of failure, which is why he shies away instead of putting himself on the line. He doesn't want to be 'not good enough', so it's easier not to try at all. 

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I'm not sure about that TRO. I think it depends a lot on the mentality of the individual in question. IMO, I think Hourihane is scared of failure, which is why he shies away instead of putting himself on the line. He doesn't want to be 'not good enough', so it's easier not to try at all. 

Ironic, as that is exactly what makes you not good enough.

• Like 1

To be honest...I dont think he is good enough for the mo.

Having said that... his mindset is probably not with it at the mo...hasnt had the best of seasons but to see a player in drinkwater who has done sweet f.a in two years....come in and not only jump ahead of him but in to the starting 11 as well.

I know I'd struggle a bit to

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Yeah, i accept that......but i look at Arteta and Anchelotti and see the attitude change in their players from the previous managers and such a short space of time.

Attitudes are bred on training grounds imo.....sure it has to be intrinsic too, but its nutured, collectively.

Conor is a championship player imo....but the money we paid and the money we paid for so called better players, makes you wonder.

Edited by TRO

Â