Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

I can't fathom how he got into this game. You just cannot have him in a match where you're not going to dominate possession, which is most of them for us. I guess Smith thought we'd get more free kick opportunities, but I'd have practically anyone else in a tough away game, even if they have to be shoehorned in. **** it, didn't Konsa play defensive mid a few times for Charlton? At least he'd be a physical presence.

He struggled every single game in the Championship if we weren't dominating, the utter madness to still be starting him in March in the PL is unbelievable.

A weak coward. Got a new 5 year deal in the summer don't forget. 

6 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

I can't fathom how he got into this game. You just cannot have him in a match where you're not going to dominate possession, which is most of them for us. I guess Smith thought we'd get more free kick opportunities, but I'd have practically anyone else in a tough away game, even if they have to be shoehorned in. **** it, didn't Konsa play defensive mid a few times for Charlton? At least he'd be a physical presence.

I understood the reasoning. Extra body in midfield and can fill in for Jack when he roams infield and can interchange with him and Targett. It doesn't take into account that he's too weak and slow to do any of that though. He can have no complaints after this.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic podcast with Hourihane.

Such a good talker, I've always thought this.

His attitude seems right even if the ability isn't there. Reminds me a bit of Beckham in Fergie's book when he said you couldn't tell him he hadn't played well because he didn't believe you and insisted he had. Belief through the roof.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

His attitude seems right even if the ability isn't there. Reminds me a bit of Beckham in Fergie's book when he said you couldn't tell him he hadn't played well because he didn't believe you and insisted he had. Belief through the roof.

Havent listened to it yet but Smith always insists he is the player knocking on his door when dropped. Shows he wants to play for the club 

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

well that's one way of looking at it.

maybe thats why he got hit with a boot on the head from the manager.😀....just kidding.

I think Beckham and Hourihane is a world of difference in terms of ability.....don't get me wrong, left peg from a dead ball, conor is up there with the best and he can ghost in to dangerous positions, very well, but he relies on the ugly work being done for him and we don't have personnel good enough to do that........but when we are out of possession and need to turn the ball over or win the ball back, he is a passenger.

In a game where we are dominating, which is quite rare, he is a delight......unfortunately, in this league, its hard to do.

If we had players in the side, who could make a better fist of that, we might be able to find a place for him, but we don't......Beckham played in a completly balanced side......Conor doesn't.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2020 at 02:44, the_eristic said:

Spot on.

But to be fair, he is not the only one, we have about 5 like that....and there doesn't appear to be any signs yet of us getting one.

Dean for me always seems to value players ON the ball, nothting wrong with that, except in this league he needs to value them more than he does, OFF the ball.

I would say, if he does that, he will be on his way to being a complete manager or Head Coach.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 10/04/2020 at 18:48, TRO said:

well that's one way of looking at it.

maybe thats why he got hit with a boot on the head from the manager.😀....just kidding.

I think Beckham and Hourihane is a world of difference in terms of ability.....don't get me wrong, left peg from a dead ball, conor is up there with the best and he can ghost in to dangerous positions, very well, but he relies on the ugly work being done for him and we don't have personnel good enough to do that........but when we are out of possession and need to turn the ball over or win the ball back, he is a passenger.

In a game where we are dominating, which is quite rare, he is a delight......unfortunately, in this league, its hard to do.

If we had players in the side, who could make a better fist of that, we might be able to find a place for him, but we don't......Beckham played in a completly balanced side......Conor doesn't.

I agree with this and its a shame as well because Conor can be a real lovely player but as you point out, we need that team that he can fit in. 

as much as he is ineffective a lot of the time, we are worse without him, as soon as Luiz and Nakamba became our established midfield we fell to pieces.

and not set pieces as that is what Connor gives us and occasional goals from midfield, I agree he always looks like a luxury we can't afford but i'd argue the goals and service he does 'occasionally' supply is something we can't do without. With our squad limitations Dean needs to find a way of playing him as Samatta needs service.

I do get why people get frustrated with him as he floats in and out of the game and is so lightweight in the tackle, but we have so few options that can do anything.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

as much as he is ineffective a lot of the time, we are worse without him, as soon as Luiz and Nakamba became our established midfield we fell to pieces.

and not set pieces as that is what Connor gives us and occasional goals from midfield, I agree he always looks like a luxury we can't afford but i'd argue the goals and service he does 'occasionally' supply is something we can't do without. With our squad limitations Dean needs to find a way of playing him as Samatta needs service.

I do get why people get frustrated with him as he floats in and out of the game and is so lightweight in the tackle, but we have so few options that can do anything.

I kinda know what you mean......sometimes, I think that, and other times, I can see why he is left out.

The whole team struggles with the necessary level of consistency.

He looks more at home when McGinn is in the side.....Luiz and Nakamba are certainly not the answer, I was honestly expecting better from them.

Luiz due to his age, is maybe worth persevering with Nakamba is too inconsistent for a 25 year old at this level.I think he struggles to read the game and his positioning is hit an miss, struggles to smell danger and deal with it.

I know why Dean plays them in leiu of Conor.....but it hasn't fixed anything.

Edited by TRO

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Well I mean he's right but I'd rather he wouldn't come out and say it.

I'm sure the owners, CEO and manager would rather he wouldn't as well.

Guard down, he just stumbled into it.

More ammo for his agent to be whacking him over the head with when we go down because of sub-standard players like Hourihane.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm sure the owners, CEO and manager would rather he wouldn't as well.

Guard down, he just stumbled into it.

More ammo for his agent to be whacking him over the head with when we go down because of sub-standard players like Hourihane.

Sub-standard? I think that is harsh, his ability from dead ball situations definitely isn’t sub-standard. He has such a sweet left foot

• Like 1

Â