Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

First time in a long time that I've come on here after a game and been impressed with Hourihane. Set pieces were obviously a plus but I thought him and Luiz played well in that midfield today. 

• Like 2

Standard nothingness.

Needs offer himself for the ball and stop hiding.

When he gets it, does he know he can move? I know it's constantly said he's a set-piece wizard but he seems to not want to move if he does ever get the ball in space, just wants to be stationary and send the ball elsewhere. The move when Mings ended up going down on the overlap and Hourihane not moving for the return was classic.

He's a worse player now than the one who joined three years ago.

I'd rather have him standing out on the left wing where he can be as stationary as he wants and cross it, moving Grealish into CM.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Standard nothingness.

Needs offer himself for the ball and stop hiding.

When he gets it, does he know he can move? I know it's constantly said he's a set-piece wizard but he seems to not want to move if he does ever get the ball in space, just wants to be stationary and send the ball elsewhere. The move when Mings ended up going down on the overlap and Hourihane not moving for the return was classic.

He's a worse player now than the one who joined three years ago.

I'd rather have him standing out on the left wing where he can be as stationary as he wants and cross it, moving Grealish into CM.

He is worth having in the team just for his set piece quality alone.

Could be the difference between survival and relegation.

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

McGinn did that a few time’s tonight as well

You think McGinn moved so he couldn't receive it? Didn't see it myself, he doesn't tend to partake in wimpish play. He was up in his advanced position where he usually is, not a good game for John this evening.

What's your point?

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

You think McGinn moved so he couldn't receive it? Didn't see it myself, he doesn't tend to partake in wimpish play. He was up in his advanced position where he usually is, not a good game for John this evening.

What's your point?

Yes I saw times when John made a run so he couldn’t receive it. He doesn't normally. My point is that it wasn’t just Hourihane doing that.

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yes I saw times when John made a run so he couldn’t receive it. He doesn't normally. My point is that it wasn’t just Hourihane doing that.

Hope not, we can only carry so many feeble players. I can only think he was making a run to receive the ball in a different position.

I'd take Hourihane out for the next game and keep him on the shelf until Newcastle, he'll get steamrollered by Chelsea.

I have seen articles recently from journalists praising Hourihane and comments underneath the articles all praising as well. I think the only people that dont rate him is Villa fans

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I have seen articles recently from journalists praising Hourihane and comments underneath the articles all praising as well. I think the only people that dont rate him is Villa fans

I rate him as a squad player

I rate him as a dead ball taker

I don't rate him higher than any of the four more obvious selections - JM, JG, DL, MN.

Thought last night he was included to see if we could get back that relationship he had with Jack n John, unfortunately as decent as it was it didn't hit the necessary level. That said I would try it again as he does allow SJM to get forwards 

which does seem to be me arguing with myself! What I mean is it is only fair to start them all again v Chelsea

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Just compare him to Luiz who many of us feel isn't quite up to speed in this league yet. The only thing Conor has on him is a decent set piece and popping up with the occasional goal.

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He talks such a good game. Sounds like Roy Keane half the time, and not just the accent.

Talks about commitment and training hard and his journey...then spends huge spells of games running away from the ball, losing soft challenges and shirking responsibility. Popping off hospital passes to whatever unlucky soul is near him before he running away again is a particular pet hate.

Last night I noticed him being really reluctant to move whenever he got the ball, it's like he was playing stuck in the mud. Don't know if that's a new habit he's picked up, or I just noticed it more last night. As I said above he's comfortably a worse player now than when he arrived.

Darren Bent but plays CM. Can score goals to keep us up but it's very clear when games aren't suited to him. Last night was a pleasant surprise as it was so slow he didn't get swept aside out the game. I would definitely save him for Newcastle, I don't think Chelsea is a good matchup for him.

Hourihane isn't the most amazing player and we need better, but relative to what we have at the moment he's a valuable asset to us, thinking about it he's probably just as likely to get us a goal as anyone else that we have.

I think our fans and maybe football fans in general tend to be overly critical of midfielders and players in that position rarely get praised unless they possess attention grabbinig qualities to their game like being able to pick out passes, running with the ball, dribbling, making crunching takles and so on, which is why a lot of midfielders that he have had and have, get a lot more stick than they deserve, the likes of Petrov, Westwood, Whelan, Hourihane, and you could probably say the same about Luiz all spring to mind, and it's not just Villa fans, players like Henderson, Winks and Dier get dismissed as 'nothing' players for similar reasons.

Back on Hourhane, if we stay up I'd look to replace him in the squad with better, if we go down I'd keep him as a squad player, but feel we need better, even in the championship, reason being is that I think if we go down we need to start building as much as is possible a team that's going to be good enough for the premier league when we come back up, don't want have buy an entire new team again.

Edited by useless

The key with Hourihane is how many attacking set pieces we’re winning and how much time we’re spending around the opposition box.

If both of those stats are good, he is a very valuable asset.

I’d be tempted to rest him against Chelsea, so that he can start against Newcastle on Wednesday.

5 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

voted him motm, gives us grit together with McGinn in the middle, think he will be crucial for us to stay up, didn't think I would say that...

Gives us grit?

are you sure about that?......I would say he gives anything but grit.

• Like 3

Â