Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Can't believe he didn't come on v Bournemouth with 10 men.

Smith been let down by him too many times, he's lost faith in him.

He hasnt featured for a while, think maybe was a lesson to Conor hopefully. He isn't a bad egg but needs do a bit more

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Can't believe he didn't come on v Bournemouth with 10 men.

Smith been let down by him too many times, he's lost faith in him.

Yeah I think we missed a trick bringing on Trez instead of Conor, also think Nakamba should have come off sooner.

This doesn't mean I think Conor would have meant a sure victory or anything like that mind. But I think he was more suited to play against 10 men and the Trez sub ruined our shape more than it helped.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Meh. He is a championship level footballer. 

Overall,  it seems that way, but against 10 men and a team that are potentially going to be in the championship next season...

The parts of his game that are lacking (effort, "getting stuck in" and consistency), would have  been less of a concern in the situation we were in. Can only assume he has shot himself in the foot and done something to upset Smith as it was a tailor made situation for him in my eyes. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He hasnt featured for a while, think maybe was a lesson to Conor hopefully. He isn't a bad egg but needs do a bit more

I don't think for one minute, he is a bad egg......he is just limited.

He hasn't got the requirements to survive in this league.....He is not a close contact type of player,...... in this league, you will come second in a combative situation and he does.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think for one minute, he is a bad egg......he is just limited.

He hasn't got the requirements to survive in this league.....He is not a close contact type of player,...... in this league, you will come second in a combative situation and he does.

Agree in part, but i'm not sure he is a shirker in terms of effort or physicality, he just hasn't got the legs to keep up with the pace of this league.

He's not going to be able to get stuck in if he can't get near the opposition. It's the same for quite a few of our squad.

19 minutes ago, andym said:

Agree in part, but i'm not sure he is a shirker in terms of effort or physicality, he just hasn't got the legs to keep up with the pace of this league.

He's not going to be able to get stuck in if he can't get near the opposition. It's the same for quite a few of our squad.

This is spot on. I love Conor and have a lot of time for him but the leagues just too quick for him. 

1 hour ago, andym said:

its a point, but i don't think he has the physical tendency of say a John Mcginn

If we get anything close to 6 million I'd be well chuffed. 

He's a likeable character, and his left peg is wicked, but he's just too much of a pedestrian for my liking. No urgency, no ballwinning capability, soft tackles. 

Pretty much the definition of squad material we need to replace. Just like Lansbury. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

If we get anything close to 6 million I'd be well chuffed. 

He's a likeable character, and his left peg is wicked, but he's just too much of a pedestrian for my liking. No urgency, no ballwinning capability, soft tackles. 

Pretty much the definition of squad material we need to replace. Just like Lansbury. 

To be fair he would be a good mid table championship player just for his free kicks and the odd assist and goal.

most mid to lower table teams would probably be ok with him being a passenger for 85 mins if he gained them a few points here and there.

17 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

To be fair he would be a good mid table championship player just for his free kicks and the odd assist and goal.

most mid to lower table teams would probably be ok with him being a passenger for 85 mins if he gained them a few points here and there.

I'd say that's correct. I'd probably even go as far as saying he's a very solid championship player. 

17 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'd say that's correct. I'd probably even go as far as saying he's a very solid championship player. 

Yeah ur prob right, dont think hes a top 6 champ player, but agree with higher mid table.

Just now, MaVilla said:

Yeah and he didn't set the world on fire.

Didn't he score 10 goals, including the goal against Baggies which set us up nicely for the 2nd game at their place, and scored the first in the penalty shoot out? That's decent going! 

You won't hear an argument from me that his lack of physicality will restrict him in the Prem, but he's a really good player for the Championship.  If we had a space in our team for a CAM, in the Championship, he'd be really good, but y'know - Grealish and all that.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Didn't he score 10 goals, including the goal against Baggies which set us up nicely for the 2nd game at their place, and scored the first in the penalty shoot out? That's decent going! 

You won't hear an argument from me that his lack of physicality will restrict him in the Prem, but he's a really good player for the Championship.  If we had a space in our team for a CAM, in the Championship, he'd be really good, but y'know - Grealish and all that.  

Think it's a stretch to say he's really good.  He's decent enough, but even last season I didn't want him as a starting midfielder.

Seems a really likeable guy, has a cracking set piece on him but he doesn't offer a lot outside of that.  No real fault of his, I'm happy with him as a squad player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Think it's a stretch to say he's really good.  He's decent enough, but even last season I didn't want him as a starting midfielder.

Seems a really likeable guy, has a cracking set piece on him but he doesn't offer a lot outside of that.  No real fault of his, I'm happy with him as a squad player.

I think if you put him in the middle, tell him to attack and support attacks and don't bother with defending and getting about, he'd be better.  I can see him as a Lampard-lite.  But we've asked him to play CM and help out with defensive duties - which he's struggled with because he can't get around quickly enough. 

But yea, I agree mostly.  

16 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

yeah he's a decent champ player, as i said before.

We did get promoted, but in 5th, via the playoffs, where were were dragged up by Grealish (and a few others) by literally the scruff of our necks, kicking and screaming, Hourihane is a decent player, for the Champ.

Lets not forget, Hourihane was rotated throughout the season with Whelan, its not even like Hourihane was a nailed on starter for a mid table team that was effectively dragged to promotion by 3-4 players. (Mings, Grealish, Abraham, McGinn, generally speaking)

Â