Graham Taylor

Eastie

59 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

This has knocked the stuffing out of me.

I was only 8 when Ron Saunders left the club so during my time of really properly supporting us then Graham Taylor is the greatest manager during that time by a long way.

I was lucky enough to be at Goodison Park with about five thousand plus other Aston Villa fans for his last game as manager with us. Not one of us left that ground and all chanted Graham Taylors claret and blue army until he came back out onto the pitch 20 minutes after the game had finished. We knew he was off to manage England but we wanted to salute the man who had given us our pride back and some.

I want to salute him again. So thanks for the memories Graham. I will cherish them. RIP

I  about for the Ron Saunders era....but this post sums it all up for me, well said sir.

Very sad and no age at 72....flippin eck, i mean, 72!!!!!

RIP Sir Graham, RIP, forever a very special Villa man

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I was lucky enough to be at Goodison Park with about five thousand plus other Aston Villa fans for his last game as manager with us. Not one of us left that ground and all chanted Graham Taylors claret and blue army until he came back out onto the pitch 20 minutes after the game had finished. We knew he was off to manage England but we wanted to salute the man who had given us our pride back and some.

Is there any footage of this, I'd love to see it?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

I remember being at that game in 2003 when he took to microphone to say how sorry he was for us being shit that season and was booed by a number of villa fans, i sat there thinking this club owes so much to him,this isn't the way to go.

He refused to sign a confidentiality clause whenhe left cus he wanted us all know that 

"Aston Villa is run by doug Ellis, on behalf of Doug Ellis for doug Ellis"

geniunely knocked the stuffing out of me this.

I was a shame that season happened and initally soured peoples memories of him (the two SHA results obviously played a massive part).

I was only 14 back then so was ignorant of what he achieved in his first spell especially as it's a very similar situation to now and we're all seeing there's no quick fix to getting us out of this league.

I also met him at the 2011 Grassroots football show at the NEC and can confirm he was as courteous and friendly as all the other ancedotes on here and elsewhere are portraying him as.

As Mark says there's not enough gentlemen left in Football. The Football world is a much poorer place without his presence.

The one man who tamed Deadly Doug.

If only more high profile figures, notably within football and politics, handled themselves with the dignity and integrity of Sir Graham.

As George Gavin would play on BRMB whenever Villa scored - "And did those feet, in ancient times..."

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

I remember being at that game in 2003 when he took to microphone to say how sorry he was for us being shit that season and was booed by a number of villa fans, i sat there thinking this club owes so much to him,this isn't the way to go.

He refused to sign a confidentiality clause whenhe left cus he wanted us all know that 

I was at that Sunderland game, he and the team gave a lap of honour at the end and he got dogs abuse from some sections, it hasn't sat right with me since. Yes it was a terrible season, we lost to newly promoted Blues twice and stayed up by the skin of our teeth, and yes he did personally drop the ball, especially in terms of the players he let go and subsequently bought in, but he never, ever deserve the abuse he got that day. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Couldn't agree more. 

Very sad news and when you think of Lambert and Sherwood under Lerner it shows you what a true bloke he was, putting the club and fans first.

Who else would have the class and show the respect to fans to get on the microphone after a poor season? Who else would turn down compensation so that he could be honest when airing his public views?

It's a shame there's not more people, never mind football managers, with the attitude and conduct of GT.  

• Like 3

Actually how I forgot this I don't know but I spent over an hour with Sir Graham in about 2002 I think it was - he showed me all round Bodymoor Heath (I had been interviewed for a vacancy - which I didn't ultimately get) but GT was honest in that he had already decided who to give it to and was so friendly and amenable.  Lovely man

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

There had better be something special planned next home game to say goodbye!

RIP Graham.

Guys I was thinking for aTribute for home game why don't we do something special in the 20th minute of the game? I read a few of the posts in this thread saying he came out after 20 minutes to say goodbye in the Everton game to say farewell. How about we do same gesture back?

• Like 2

I said at the time of it happening that I had met Graham Taylor when he came to the prison I worked at, to give encouragement to the officers who were doing a sponsored 'row' for a charity(think it was air ambulance). He shook hands and I mentioned about his 2 (arguably) best signings - Platt and Rambo. All he said was how pleased the Chairman was with the profit when we sold them ! I thought he was a brilliant bloke to take time to speak to me (a nobody). I wonder if there is an ounce of guilt in the (so called) 'journalists' of the Cockney press that pilloried him when with England . RIP   

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

We lost Boateng and Merson that season, and we got in Kinsella and Leonardsen.  It was a write off before it began but this is Deadly for you.

I don't remember GT's first spell but I always grew up knowing what he did for ourselves and Watford.

There was a reality TV programme on quite a while ago that I cannot recall that well. GT was in it though and he was either coaching celebrities or youngsters in some form. I was so impressed. He was such a nice guy, encouraging and humble, and still so clearly passioniate about football and helping people improve. I just remember thinking I would love to have played for this guy.

Edited by rodders0223

Â