Graham Taylor

Eastie

This man was a major part of my great love affair with the club. He was the manager when football and Aston Villa clicked for me. I'd been to a few games prior to him taking over, but that first season in the old Division 2 was when it all started to make sense to me. He was also responsible for bringing in three of the best players I've ever seen on a football pitch (McGrath, Platt, and Yorke), as well as bringing Sid back to the club (I only edited a post in the 'Modern Legends' tread earlier today, to acknowledge this).

I'm genuinely a bit emotional writing this. He was a hero, and he'll forever be a Villan.

RIP Sir Graham. Holte Ender In The Sky.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

This has knocked the stuffing out of me.

I was only 8 when Ron Saunders left the club so during my time of really properly supporting us then Graham Taylor is the greatest manager during that time by a long way.

I was lucky enough to be at Goodison Park with about five thousand plus other Aston Villa fans for his last game as manager with us. Not one of us left that ground and all chanted Graham Taylors claret and blue army until he came back out onto the pitch 20 minutes after the game had finished. We knew he was off to manage England but we wanted to salute the man who had given us our pride back and some.

I want to salute him again. So thanks for the memories Graham. I will cherish them. RIP

I was there as well and remember that, also we were singing Graham Taylors claret and blue army before half time, never stopped singing it all through half time and carried on for a number of mins into the second half, the longest chant I have ever witnessed from us or anyone else, indeed at the end of the match the Everton fans to a man leaving on the left hand side applauded us Villa fans, after the match said they had never witnessed fans like us before. Back to the topic RIP GT. another HITS.

• Like 4

WTF  !!!

Gutted - a truly unique man, whose like we shall never see again.

He had the ability to always do the sensible level headed thing - Yet at the same commanded the respect of the players and swiftly kicked anyone up the ass if they stepped out of line.

I loved the time he returned to VP as watford manager - as he he took his seat the whole ground rose in applause to salute him.

His time as England manager was doomed from the start, as the london press wanted 'El Tel' as the manager and reverted to disgraceful levels to undermine him.

Goodbye Sir Graham, I wish there more who shared the values of decency , Honestly and  integrity that you displayed.

• Like 2

I was on my way to Libya, of all places, for work. 

At the airport I picked up a copy of the Irish Independent. 

They had a picture of Graham with Paul McGrath and Kent Nielsen, having signed them the day before. 

Genuinely exciting. 

Thanks for everything Graham and rest in peace. 

• Like 2

Such sad news.

I met Graham a couple of times and he was very polite to me as a young man somewhat in awe of him. I was also at Goodison for his final game in his most successful period at Villa and remember the constant chanting of his name. It left the Everton fans stunned.

My thoughts are with Graham's family and friends.

1 minute ago, Hev said:

What truly sad news.   RIP Sir Graham Taylor.  True Villa Legend.    What may have been for us had England not come calling !

Truly believe he would have built a great dynasty at villa had the  England job not taken him away .

27 minutes ago, tismyk said:

I was there as well and remember that, also we were singing Graham Taylors claret and blue army before half time, never stopped singing it all through half time and carried on for a number of mins into the second half, the longest chant I have ever witnessed from us or anyone else, indeed at the end of the match the Everton fans to a man leaving on the left hand side applauded us Villa fans, after the match said they had never witnessed fans like us before. Back to the topic RIP GT. another HITS.

You’re right. That day was all about saluting him. I actually travelled up with an Everton fan and his dad and they sat in the home end and me, three mates and my old man were in the away end and like you say the Everton fans after the game said they had never witnessed away support like it.

It was a cracking game as well and a fitting way for his stint with us to finish. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up that day when he came back out to acknowledge us and just thinking about it now brings a lump to my throat.

No Villa manager has been loved like he was since and there won’t have been many before. We were crying out for a Graham Taylor now and if we have one, or eventually find one, half as good as he was during that first stint we will be very lucky.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

This has knocked the stuffing out of me.

I was only 8 when Ron Saunders left the club so during my time of really properly supporting us then Graham Taylor is the greatest manager during that time by a long way.

I was lucky enough to be at Goodison Park with about five thousand plus other Aston Villa fans for his last game as manager with us. Not one of us left that ground and all chanted Graham Taylors claret and blue army until he came back out onto the pitch 20 minutes after the game had finished. We knew he was off to manage England but we wanted to salute the man who had given us our pride back and some.

I want to salute him again. So thanks for the memories Graham. I will cherish them. RIP

You must be of a similar age to me then. GT in his first stint is probably the last time a manager to leave Villa on a high and not under a cloud. The man who bought us God, Yorke and Platt for small transfer fees, probably the best acquisitions in my time of supporting Villa.

• Like 1

Saved us when we were in freefall as a club, and with a pretty average team, took us to within a whisker of pipping a world class Liverpool team to the title. Only the best managers can do that. In a sport that can be both brutal and cynical, he showed that nice guys can win. A true gentleman and a great servant of AVFC, who came to this clubs aid in its hour of need. Thanks for the memories Graham. 

• Like 3

Very sad news, rest in peace.

Echoing what others have said, I'm a bit too young to remember his first spell in charge but I hold him in high regard for what he achieved with the club.

From his time at Wolves I heard stories about how friendly and approachable he was and it's nice to hear that others on here also found this to be the case. 

Â