Graham Taylor

Eastie

I'm 25 years old and I'm saddened by this deeply, I remember when he was Villa manager back in 02/03 just about, so I'm obviously too young to remember his first spell in charge of the football club. He was a good football man who always came across well on television, it's sad to hear that he's died, I'm surprised that there aren't more pages of this thread. He had good opinions of the game and understood it well, it's a shame he's died :(

Very sad to hear the news of him passing. 72 is no age in this day and age. Always came across as a incredibly nice fellow and that is echoed in the tributes pouring out today in the football world. My thoughts go out to his friends and family.

I was of that age when he was manager, where football was my life. I was 7/8 when i really remember just falling in love with this club, you know... those memories where you just feel like nothing matters more than Villa. When you are that age your team is everything to you and you are blinded by what is outside - I remember going to football training in my shirt, I remember getting my first pair of Villa shorts to go with my top and pretending I was David Platt! I also remember one moment in a game where I decided I would run with the ball into the box and try to score (I was 9) and I remember being shouted at as I was supposed to stay in the middle - but I had seen Platty do the same the week before!

So Taylor and his team really impressed onto me what Aston Villa means. Of course I was a fan before that (and actually my first defeat was a few years before (the Dell 1987) - but for me, my real memories of Villa started just before the 90s, I remember Taylor being a big part of that.

He did wonders for us and I am not sure we will ever have a manager that great again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DK82 said:

I also remember one moment in a game where I decided I would run with the ball into the box and try to score (I was 9) and I remember being shouted at as I was supposed to stay in the middle - but I had seen Platty do the same the week before!

You needed a Sid Cowans to play you a pass, to get on the end of. 

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Some absolutely lovely tributes on social media and across the net from ex-players, managers and the fans.

For those fans who missed his first stint in charge, I can tell you he was every bit as good as you have heard, and he did it all with a dignity and class that's sadly missing from many of his contemporary counterparts.

A football man through and through, and someone who had a genuine love for the game.

R.I.P Sir.

Had come on this thread to say exactly this.  He was not just a well respected football man, but a gentleman and the game will be poorer without him.  RIP. 

Â