Graham Taylor

Eastie

49 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Expect 90 minutes of graham Taylor's claret and blue army on Saturday. 

Was anyone at that legendary away day at Goodison when the thousands of villa fans sang it none stop.

Having read through this thread it sounds like there were a few of us there. One of the most memorable games I have ever been to. He got the send of he deserved that day.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Met him a few times as did my daughter whom was in awe of him. Made her feel at ease and was such a wonderful person. Put Ellis in his place and did things his way to lead us back to the top! Rip sir graham was an honour and privilege to know you and have you as manager of this great football institution 

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Amazing.

Listen to the bit between 2:45 and 3:15 - how prophetic!

Elton was spot on

Isn't it just.

just before then the "He'd give me stick when I haven't been behaving properly" comment around 2:40 I think alludes to EJ's alcoholism and GT being instrumental in getting him right. Taylor spoke a few years ago on 5live about Elton coming round his house and GT sticking a pint of brandy in front of him and telling Elton he may as well drink up coz that's what he's doing anyway.

the bit in that interview with EJ about it not being right to ask Villa for any money for him is incredible by today's standards though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Absolutely gutted

The first Villa manager I remember and still the best. What he did in his first spell here was astonishing. Took over a wreck of a club and got us promoted at the first attempt after a poor start. First season back in the top flight was a season of consolidation (but we put 13 past small heath in 3 cup games!) and in his third season we nearly won the league. We were the best team in the country for a long spell that season and was only inexperience and a lack of a goalscorer which cost us. McInally had been sold to Bayern Munich in pre season and we went into the season with Ian Olney (youth striker) up front before Cascarino was purchased with 10 games to go (rumours are he wanted Sheringham but Doug wouldn't pay the fee). We lost to a Liverpool team packed with stars like Barnes Beardsley, Aldridge, Houghton, McMahon and a returning Ian Rush. Our team was a rag tag bunch of discarded older players (Paul McGrath, Derek Mountfield), canny lower division signings (Stuart Gray, Chrissy Price, David Platt, Ian Ormondroyd) and youth (Ian Olney, Tony Daley). GT purchased all of them and also a young lad from Trinidad and Tobago called Dwight Yorke who he spotted on a beach! 

We spoke about club legends recently and I mentioned the 3 players who are the best I have ever seen down the club - all three were purchased by GT. Platt, McGrath and Yorke. Plus he brought Cowans back home from Bari. The vast majority of his signings worked out well. Am I right in thinking he purchased Rambo McInally as well? What an eye for a player! 

He was an absolute legend for what he did here between 1987 and 1990 and he's up there in my eyes with the likes of Ron Saunders, Eric Houghton, Jonny Dixon, George Ramsey, William McGregor and the other giants in our wonderful clubs folklore. 

What is staggering is that it won't just be us Villa fans dishing out plaudits like this. If anything his achievement at Watford was even greater! - fourth division to the first in five seasons and runners up in the league and FA Cup. At Watford! GT is a legend for 2 clubs and there aren't many people who that could be said about.

RIP Graham. You made me love Aston Villa and football when I was a snotty nosed kid on an Erdington estate and I will always love you for that.

:(

graham_taylor_tw.jpg?itok=abL6Qv6b

Would appear we are of very similar age/background as I could relate to every single word of that, but not have put it quite so eloquently....bravo and RIP Sir Graham 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Where there was darkness, he brought colour and light.  RIP Graham Taylor...

Sir-Graham.jpg

Love that. Do you mind if i use that on my FB?

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

This is the first time I have seen this today. When you think of how the press treated him during his time with England then this is really sad. He was someone who always gave his best and genuinely cared. Such a decent man.

What a bloody great man, if only everybody was like him. 

• Like 2

Â