Graham Taylor

Eastie

I've just realised that this is the first time in my life that I've been genuinely upset by the death of a person that i don't know personally.

I'm not to sure if that says more about me or Sir Graham? 

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

This is the first time I have seen this today. When you think of how the press treated him during his time with England then this is really sad. He was someone who always gave his best and genuinely cared. Such a decent man.

This is sad Mark - good people always shine through though and I do not think anybody could rob Graham Taylor of that. More people today could do with those qualities exhibited in that video and throughout his career. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I hope that today shines a light on how good he was as a manager. For too long he's been defined by the England job.

He took Watford from the 4th to the 1st division in five seasons. They played in the UEFA Cup.

He left Watford in 9th position in D1 to come to a relegated Villa. That's how much he wanted to come here.

He can tell you what he found in his own words:

get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=29929

To put things in perspective for younger Villans:

Sir Alex took over at Man Utd on 6 November 1986 when they were second from bottom in D1. Sir Graham took us over in May 1987 having just been booted out of D1 (finishing bottom) and starting life the coming season in D2.

Sir Alex had just over 6 months head start on Sir Graham PLUS he had a full season of D1 football over Sir Graham in which to attract better players.

Here's their standings at season's end 1990 in D1:

2nd, Aston Villa. P38, W21, F57, A38. P = 70.

13th Man Utd P38 W13, F46, A47, P = 48.

I hope this gives you some measure of his achievements. In 60 months we had built on the foundation of being kings of all we surveyed to being the bottom club in D1.

There is always pride in Aston Villa. It's an English football institution. What we lost was dignity. It was humiliating to watch the decay end in being dumped out of a division we ruled not so long ago.

In his first season with us in D2 we finished runners-up to Millwall and went back up to D1. In his second and our first season back, we scraped survival. In his third season, he took us to second in D1.

I am sorry for those who didn't see the 89/90 season. It was a hell of a time to be a Villa fan. He brought us Yorke, Platt, McGrath, Nielsen. He brought a grateful Sid back from Italy.

He built a side that feared nobody. The football was often far better than he was ever given credit for. It's true that Watford was often route one. But what could he do?

He showed at Villa why he came to Villa - we had the clout to extend his horizons, and how well he used this new canvas.

When he left, I was heartbroken. But when you look at what he built, younger Villans, you owe him gratitude. The shade you and we enjoyed under Big Ron was because Sir Graham planted the acorn those years ago. He found a foundation of clay and built a foundation of rock.

I've wondered, what would he have done if he stayed? Under HDE, I'm not sure he would have done much more. His standing would have grown, IMO. But eventually HDE would have penny-pinched him on a top player and Sir Graham would have walked.

He once said - 'HDE and I have a love-hate relationship. He loves me.'

The tantalising prospect is this - what if Sir Graham had a manager equally as ambitious and without ego? I think he would have strengthened us even further. I think we would have had more success. He probably would have stayed too long and we probably would have drifted, but who knows who we would have brought in at that time.

Ifs, buts, maybes, couldas, wouldas, shouldas.

What I know for sure is that Sir Graham was an old-school gentleman from the time when being a footballer was a profession and not a status. He treated players as adults and fans as friends.

Today is not just the loss of Sir Graham but of a treasure from a great age of football that I, through rose-tinted spectacles and as I write this, a tear in my eye, miss.

Younger fans don't know that time. You can never recapture what you never had.

As time marches on, we lose these wonderful characters - outspoken, unspun, usually the highest paid person at the club.

You may not have seen much of him, but due to what he built you will surely have felt his legacy. I feel privileged to have witnessed him and his work first-hand and I am very proud that this institution called Aston Villa is so closely entwined with the gracious, humble, fun, kind, and wonderful football man that was Graham Taylor.

Graham, thank you for giving us back not just our status but our dignity and making it thrilling to be a Villan once more. Give me best to Dalian when you see him.

Mate this is a terrific post. Great effort to sum things up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I hope that today shines a light on how good he was as a manager. For too long he's been defined by the England job.

He took Watford from the 4th to the 1st division in five seasons. They played in the UEFA Cup.

He left Watford in 9th position in D1 to come to a relegated Villa. That's how much he wanted to come here.

He can tell you what he found in his own words:

get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=29929

To put things in perspective for younger Villans:

Sir Alex took over at Man Utd on 6 November 1986 when they were second from bottom in D1. Sir Graham took us over in May 1987 having just been booted out of D1 (finishing bottom) and starting life the coming season in D2.

Sir Alex had just over 6 months head start on Sir Graham PLUS he had a full season of D1 football over Sir Graham in which to attract better players.

Here's their standings at season's end 1990 in D1:

2nd, Aston Villa. P38, W21, F57, A38. P = 70.

13th Man Utd P38 W13, F46, A47, P = 48.

I hope this gives you some measure of his achievements. In 60 months we had built on the foundation of being kings of all we surveyed to being the bottom club in D1.

There is always pride in Aston Villa. It's an English football institution. What we lost was dignity. It was humiliating to watch the decay end in being dumped out of a division we ruled not so long ago.

In his first season with us in D2 we finished runners-up to Millwall and went back up to D1. In his second and our first season back, we scraped survival. In his third season, he took us to second in D1.

I am sorry for those who didn't see the 89/90 season. It was a hell of a time to be a Villa fan. He brought us Yorke, Platt, McGrath, Nielsen. He brought a grateful Sid back from Italy.

He built a side that feared nobody. The football was often far better than he was ever given credit for. It's true that Watford was often route one. But what could he do?

He showed at Villa why he came to Villa - we had the clout to extend his horizons, and how well he used this new canvas.

When he left, I was heartbroken. But when you look at what he built, younger Villans, you owe him gratitude. The shade you and we enjoyed under Big Ron was because Sir Graham planted the acorn those years ago. He found a foundation of clay and built a foundation of rock.

I've wondered, what would he have done if he stayed? Under HDE, I'm not sure he would have done much more. His standing would have grown, IMO. But eventually HDE would have penny-pinched him on a top player and Sir Graham would have walked.

He once said - 'HDE and I have a love-hate relationship. He loves me.'

The tantalising prospect is this - what if Sir Graham had a manager equally as ambitious and without ego? I think he would have strengthened us even further. I think we would have had more success. He probably would have stayed too long and we probably would have drifted, but who knows who we would have brought in at that time.

Ifs, buts, maybes, couldas, wouldas, shouldas.

What I know for sure is that Sir Graham was an old-school gentleman from the time when being a footballer was a profession and not a status. He treated players as adults and fans as friends.

Today is not just the loss of Sir Graham but of a treasure from a great age of football that I, through rose-tinted spectacles and as I write this, a tear in my eye, miss.

Younger fans don't know that time. You can never recapture what you never had.

As time marches on, we lose these wonderful characters - outspoken, unspun, usually the highest paid person at the club.

You may not have seen much of him, but due to what he built you will surely have felt his legacy. I feel privileged to have witnessed him and his work first-hand and I am very proud that this institution called Aston Villa is so closely entwined with the gracious, humble, fun, kind, and wonderful football man that was Graham Taylor.

Graham, thank you for giving us back not just our status but our dignity and making it thrilling to be a Villan once more. Give me best to Dalian when you see him.

Absolutely superb post - Sir Graham was the man in charge as I grew up. every ounce of frustration I feel when we lose and every jolt of joy I get from a win or a goal is because of the fanaticism his villa sides installed in me as I grew up. He was a giant for us in a time when we needed it most. 

• Like 1

What more can we say other than thank you Graham for everything you gave us- not least the legend that is Paul McGrath- it's thanks to you that I watched one of the worlds greatest ever footballers play in claret and blue each week.

RIP 

• Like 2

What shit news, won't be bumping into him in Dillons in Mere Green anymore then. Especially seeing as they **** pulled it down and I haven't lived there for 20 years or so...

GT Mk1 was something special, the likes of which we really, really need to see again now. Football inevitably moved on, but for 80s football in the UK there wasn't many who were better. Anyone who did what he did at Watford has to be seen as special, the fact he then came to us in D2 and quickly got us runners up in the top league immediately afterwards proves that he was special. That was the top of his game and what he should be remembered for.

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Love Tony Daley's chip in there!

Love Tony Daley. My hero.

GT was so instrumental in his career in particular. Some of his best years here were under GT. I think I'm right in saying he handed him his England debut too. Took him to Wolves despite the injuries when he was there and then again to Watford on his return to Vicarage Road.

Is he still coaching at the Wolves? (Why have we never brought him home?) If so or either way it seems fitting our next game is against them. Even more so if he'll be on the bench.

• Like 3

Heretic, your post sums up us how Villians of a certain age felt about Sir Graham. Football has lost a true gent. I never met GT, but If I had, I would of shook his hand and thanked him for putting Aston Villa back where it belonged.

RIP

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Expect 90 minutes of graham Taylor's claret and blue army on Saturday. 

Was anyone at that legendary away day at Goodison when the thousands of villa fans sang it none stop.

Posted 8 hours ago · Report post

8 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

This has knocked the stuffing out of me.

I was only 8 when Ron Saunders left the club so during my time of really properly supporting us then Graham Taylor is the greatest manager during that time by a long way.

I was lucky enough to be at Goodison Park with about five thousand plus other Aston Villa fans for his last game as manager with us. Not one of us left that ground and all chanted Graham Taylors claret and blue army until he came back out onto the pitch 20 minutes after the game had finished. We knew he was off to manage England but we wanted to salute the man who had given us our pride back and some.

I want to salute him again. So thanks for the memories Graham. I will cherish them. RIP

I was there as well and remember that, also we were singing Graham Taylors claret and blue army before half time, never stopped singing it all through half time and carried on for a number of mins into the second half, the longest chant I have ever witnessed from us or anyone else, indeed at the end of the match the Everton fans to a man leaving on the left hand side applauded us Villa fans, after the match said they had never witnessed fans like us before. Back to the topic, RIP GT. another HITS.

The Dougal Mob, singing in the rain.

Edited by tismyk
  • Like 3

A true gentleman of the game. Very very sad news. 

I loved listening to him summarising on Five Live. He had a passion for the game, and a decency you could hear in his voice. I wish I had experienced his first spell at the club, but sadly it's just a couple of years before my time. But the compliments and tributes on this thread say it all really. 

• Like 1

I think this would be a good time for the club to think seriously about recognising what Villa Managers have done for the club over the years. I think Graham Taylor is worth something like a statue as is Ron Saunders (who I would like to think could have one that he is still able to unveil himself) given a former chairman already has a stand named after him.    

• Like 3

Â