Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

At least he knows the club so another new player variable is reduced!

Is it a fluke the defence was so good towards the end of the season? He will be fine for the championship, not outstanding, but up there with the better ones we could hope for.

Glad to see him come back. Loan signings can be hit or miss, but with SJ, we now know that he is at least solid, if unspectacular. Some stability at the back is definitely needed, and he did well towards the end of last season. With JT in front or even coaching Chester & others, things could be a lot more solid defensively. If he picks up where he left off, it will be good business and we would have to be considered as first choice for him once he leaves Utd then. 

38 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

This is even more underwhelming than the Marlon harewood signing. The biggest of mehs.

I think that is abit dramatic to be honest its only a loan not a 21 year deal 

• Like 3

He still has time to develop so too early to write off yet. Plus, he now has a bit of stability and will be number 1 (probably), which should give him a confidence boost also.

I would have preferred a more established 'keeper to be honest but I am not against giving this lad a chance to prove himself.

Edited by villarocker

5 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

I hate this being a loan.  We should not be developing a goalie for a second year for Man U.  

Is this loan with option to buy?

If it is I hope there's a pre agreed fee involved, If Sam has a storming season and we go up then they will be demanding silly money as is per the usual case with the Sky 4. 

Glad to see him back though, I'm one of the minority, judging by the posts here, who think he's a very good 'keeper.

37 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

If it is I hope there's a pre agreed fee involved, If Sam has a storming season and we go up then they will be demanding silly money as is per the usual case with the Sky 4. 

Glad to see him back though, I'm one of the minority, judging by the posts here, who think he's a very good 'keeper.

They will only have a 12 month option so won't be demanding silly money next summer .

I don't want Johnstone, BUT a loan kind of makes sense in our situation.

Assuming we're promoted this season, we may be in a position next summer to attract a better keeper, so being able to send this one back and not have him stuck on our books might make sense.

38 minutes ago, Gillz said:

Whilst i dont think SJ is a super keeper, he's not as bad as some people are making out on here.

Importantly too, he already has an understanding and relationship with the defence / team. In my opinion one of the biggest issues we've had in the last few years is the constant revolving door of players being bought and sold making it nigh impossible to actually develop a team who know and can play with each other.

The understanding is there for all to see.

Chester and Baker know that if the ball is anywhere in the area, including the 6 yard box then deal with it...because Johnstone isn't going to.

:trollface:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kingman said:

He's only got a year to run on existing deal at Utd so we could land him on a free next season if both club and player are happy. 

United have another 12 month option on his contract after next season - probably a nominal fee .

Edited by Eastie

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

United have a 12 month option to extend his deal in 2018 .

Goalkeeper Sam Johnstone has signed a new contract at Manchester United which keeps him at the club until June 2018 with the option to extend for a further year.

Johnstone, 23, has come through United's academy system and has been with the club since he was 10 years old. Sam has represented the club at every level before being promoted to the first-team squad.

Johnstone told ManUtd.com: "I am delighted to have signed a new contract. I have been with the club since I was 10 years old and have grown up here. The last 13 years have flown by and I have enjoyed every moment of my time here so far. I am working with world-class goalkeepers every day and now I am going to use all that experience to push myself and show the manager what I can do."

Jose Mourinho said: "Sam is a goalkeeper with great potential. He is a very professional young man with a great attitude to the game. He has progressed immensely even during my short time at the club. I am delighted he has committed his future to Manchester Un

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Oct/Goalkeeper-Sam-Johnstone-signs-new-Manchester-United-deal.aspx

Thanks eastie didn't know that but from what Jose says he is highly regarded so I can't for the life of me see what the coaches on here find wrong with the loan deal. They may take up the option so they get money for him but I wouldn't be amiss if he signed for us. As someone said he knows a good player via he's watched villa a long time, so have I (56 years to be exact) and I've seen some great and some duff players and Johnstone is not one of the duff ones!

Edited by nazvfc
  • Like 1

People say he got better, but the only thing they have to say about him in a positive way is that he kept a lot of clean sheets.

I really don't think this proves anything. If the opposition dont have any shots on target of course he will get a clean sheet. We were playing with a back 6 with a further 2 defensive midfielders and the wingers helping out. You could stick any keeper in the world in that team and they'd keep a clean sheet.

Can any one of those that think he is a good keeper please point to a good save that he made that wasn't straight at him, because I cant remember a single top save where he had to dive. 

It seems if the opposition shoot away from him then its a goal. A prime example is the Fulham game where they only had 5 shots on target and scored 3 goals. The difference in the other games is that we became more and more defensive as the season went on so the opposition couldn't test him other than long range efforts down his throat.

• Like 1

It's not a bad thing it's a loan, I'd rather have him for 12 months (untill we get promoted????), and then attract a higher quality keeper in the prem.

He's definitely good enough for this level, and the familiarity he has with the setup is big positive.

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

People say he got better, but the only thing they have to say about him in a positive way is that he kept a lot of clean sheets.

I really don't think this proves anything. If the opposition dont have any shots on target of course he will get a clean sheet. We were playing with a back 6 with a further 2 defensive midfielders and the wingers helping out. You could stick any keeper in the world in that team and they'd keep a clean sheet.

Can any one of those that think he is a good keeper please point to a good save that he made that wasn't straight at him, because I cant remember a single top save where he had to dive. 

It seems if the opposition shoot away from him then its a goal. A prime example is the Fulham game where they only had 5 shots on target and scored 3 goals. The difference in the other games is that we became more and more defensive as the season went on so the opposition couldn't test him other than long range efforts down his throat.

I went to the QPR game and thought he was immense, that's the think about young (very young for a keeper)...is the consistency and confidence factor.

8 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Interesting highlighting of the Fulham game.  I'm guessing you don't remember their goals at all?

He's a young keeper who had some very good performances, some very bad performances and a lot of average ones.  He's spent a season with the majority of our defence which gives him a slight advantage over an entirely new signing - the main reason here being that I don't think there is an outstanding keeper who is available at this level.  He's absolutely fine and will be absolutely fine again next season.

Our main problem isn't a defensive one.

Â