Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

Quite happy to have him back after going through a period of calling him everything under the sun for his first few games here

If he can keep up the clean sheets he is doing his job regardless of us having no defence or 6 at the back.

Some of the best keepers in the world only have to face 2 or 3 shots per game because they are playing for real Madrid against a pub team etc, As long as they are making the saves when needed they are doing what they are paid for.

8 clean sheets in 20 odd games is very good going  and puts him not too far off some of the best rated keepers around who play for much better teams than us.

Considering when he came he looked like he was trying to juggle the worlds slipperiest ball every time it came near him it would seem that he improved quite a lot over the course of his time here so hopefully he can carry this progress on again this year.

As a comletely meaningless comparison, De Gea only kept 16 clean sheets in 45 appearances for what people considered to be a Jose Mourinho ultra defensive Utd last season.

He has a decent kick too which can instantly turn defence into attack as seen by his "assist" against Norwich

There are a few reasonable saves in this vid :

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, NIVillan said:

I hate this being a loan.  We should not be developing a goalie for a second year for Man U.  

Is this loan with option to buy?

I think ManU are trying to punish us for revealing SJ as what he is.

A shit GK who doesnt dominate his 6yrd box let alone the penalty box, Punches because he cant/wont catch, lets in shots that are not at him, his kicking and distribution is awful.

On 7/7/2017 at 23:31, TrentVilla said:

As I've said several times, people in the game and in a far better position than I really rate him. Just don't see it myself.

An Honest man.

I thought Des Bremner was a weak link in the '81 side......then I grew up as a supporter as the years rolled by and realised I was talking tosh.....It took me time to fully understand a DM role.

sometimes Trent, we can't see things, it doesn't make us wrong, it just means merely that, we can't see it.

The good thing is....... we can always change our mind.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

There are a few reasonable saves in this vid :

Exactly what I'm talking about, I don't see any brilliant saves in that video - just bog standard saves that are pretty much straight at him, ones that if he hadnt saved would be considered weak goals to concede from a goalkeeper.

You compare that highlight reel to some good shot stoppers and theres a complete world of difference. 

The clean sheet tally really is fooling some people into thinking he's a good keeper.

• Like 1

Honestly I don't particularly care about spectacular shot stopping. it's nice luxury to have, but it's low down in importance.

If johnstone could only pull off the saves in that video, but was very good at positioning, commanding his box, catching the ball, distribution, organising defenders etc then he'd be more than adequate at this level.

The problem is he's not very good at much of that. That's where the real weakness lies.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gillz said:

Whilst i dont think SJ is a super keeper, he's not as bad as some people are making out on here.

Importantly too, he already has an understanding and relationship with the defence / team. In my opinion one of the biggest issues we've had in the last few years is the constant revolving door of players being bought and sold making it nigh impossible to actually develop a team who know and can play with each other.

I can get behind the latter part of your post. It is nice to have consistency. Our only addition to our back line so far has been Terry so having Sam back definitely helps.

For the first part, I don't think Sam is a bad keeper. I don't think really anyone who watched him last season would say he is a bad keeper, but rather he is just a nothing special keeper. I think we are disappointed with this signing because we are supposedly wanting to challenge for promotion, and Sam doesn't really give me confidence that he can potentially carry a few matches for us if need be. I just don't want us having a great keeper to stop us from being promoted. Last season Gollini's early errors stopped us from picking up points and potentially got RDM fired. 

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Exactly what I'm talking about, I don't see any brilliant saves in that video - just bog standard saves that are pretty much straight at him, ones that if he hadnt saved would be considered weak goals to concede from a goalkeeper.

You compare that highlight reel to some good shot stoppers and theres a complete world of difference. 

The clean sheet tally really is fooling some people into thinking he's a good keeper.

You're using games like Fulham 3 - 1 Villa to show how "bad" he is.  A game where they scored 2 of their goals directly from deflections (one off the bar, one off Bakers(?) head).

The clean sheet tally is just as relevant as misleading "shots" information.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

He has a decent kick too which can instantly turn defence into attack as seen by his "assist" against Norwich

I could not disagree more. His distribution is woeful and usually consists of collecting the ball, looking to his CBs or out wide for a quick throw. Changing his mind. Then panic. Then hoofing the ball as hard and as far as he can. Usually into the Doug Ellis or 30 yards ahead of Kodjia.

• Like 1

Player certainly divides opinion.  In the last few pages I read :

1. awful signing which has ruined my life 

2. Awful signing but expected it

3. ok signing

4. ok signing as long as only a loan

5. ok signing but gutted it's a loan 

6. Ok signing but would prefer someone with more experience. 

Im in the 6 camp but as he showed some improvement I am leaning towards the 4 camp.  

• Like 1

I am happy with it being a loan.

If we get promoted, he's probably done a good job and we can either by him permanently or get a better keeper. The likelihood is he will never make it at Man Utd so we'd be odds on to sign him again.

If he doesn't improve we aren't stuck with another underperforming player.

If we don't get promoted, Bruce is out and the next new manager gets his own keeper. 

5 hours ago, TRO said:

An Honest man.

I thought Des Bremner was a weak link in the '81 side......then I grew up as a supporter as the years rolled by and realised I was talking tosh.....It took me time to fully understand a DM role.

sometimes Trent, we can't see things, it doesn't make us wrong, it just means merely that, we can't see it.

The good thing is....... we can always change our mind.

I'm always honest in my opinions, I'd like to think I'm a pretty good judge of a player as well especially when judging potential.

But there is a huge amount we don't see, in terms of players training and their character etc.

Based on what I have been able to see with Johnstone I'm far from convinced he is the keeper we need this season. That's not to say he isn't or won't be a good keeper but for me he is just too raw.

• Like 4

A loan suits us and Man Utd. What's the problem, he's better than our other players - great stats from Late January onwards (after our key players returned). Probably a purchase clause if we want it at the end of the season.

Personally I would have preferred a solid if unspectacular keeper with a bit of experience. However it's very harsh some of the criticism. He was a bit dodgy in some early games and had a couple of wobblies later but we did concede very few goals last season, if was our main success really so he really can't have been that bad can he! 

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

A loan suits us and Man Utd. What's the problem, he's better than our other players - great stats from Late January onwards (after our key players returned). Probably a purchase clause if we want it at the end of the season.

I rarely think loaning players benefits us, I can't think of many examples where it has but that's a different debate.

I don't think anyone is saying getting Johnstone is a 'problem' as such, I think some, myself included would like a little more experience between the sticks next season.

Johnstone showed some good form and some bad form last season, he may well go on to be an excellent keeper but I want the best keeper we can get next season. Beyond that I'm not really bothered because we must go up next season.

So I think I would rather have had Ruddy on a free for example.

As for a purchase clause, there won't be one. Johnstone has this season on his contract then United have an option for an additional year, putting in an agreed fee makes little sense for either club.

• Like 2

Thought he improved as his time in the side went on. Would be lying if I wasn't hoping for somebody with a better reputation or a little more experience but I think he will be serviceable. 

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I rarely think loaning players benefits us, I can't think of many examples where it has but that's a different debate.

I don't think anyone is saying getting Johnstone is a 'problem' as such, I think some, myself included would like a little more experience between the sticks next season.

Johnstone showed some good form and some bad form last season, he may well go on to be an excellent keeper but I want the best keeper we can get next season. Beyond that I'm not really bothered because we must go up next season.

So I think I would rather have had Ruddy on a free for example.

As for a purchase clause, there won't be one. Johnstone has this season on his contract then United have an option for an additional year, putting in an agreed fee makes little sense for either club.

I think Milner was our best loan and Kyle Walker was the most gutting loan because we developed him and look at him now.

Blues and wolves have got stockdale and ruddy both on a free - good business from them -I'd have preferred one of those - johnstone is neither great or shit , an average keeper who improved as the season went along - we could have done better but let's hope he has a great season 

In pretty much every position, we have someone who should be too good for this level or should be one of the best players at this level. 

Our 2 goalkeepers, a key position, can't have that said about them. 

It's a big gamble, chances are that as a young keeper he's going to hit a bad patch at some point in the year and can we afford one? 

Think this is a really big gamble by the club and I can't for the life of me see why we are taking it. It might work and he might be superb but it's a risk this club shouldn't have to take right now. 

Â