Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

4 minutes ago, Boskos Angel said:

I really don't get why some people on here have a go at him? I cant think of one huge error he made if I'm honest? I think he's decent

The only issue I think I can get him for is starting his time here too well, he put on a world class performance in his debut for Villa and then went "downhill" a bit after that. I think it caused far too many fans to be way too critical of a guy that had 8 clean sheets in 21 games, we haven't had a goalkeeper putting out stats like that since Friedel? For his age this guy is more than good enough for us in the Championship.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Boskos Angel said:

I really don't get why some people on here have a go at him? I cant think of one huge error he made if I'm honest? I think he's decent

Forest away was a shocker!

Crap keeper, i'm feeling a lot less confident of promotion.

Lets hope we can somehow average 2 goals a game under Bruce because were going to concede a load of cheap goals.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Crap keeper.

Lets hope we can somehow average 2 goals a game under Bruce because were going to concede a load of cheap goals.

Promotion looking less and less likely.

Something we didn't do during his previous spell here is suddenly going to happen and promotion is now less likely.

**** lol.

5 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Welcome Sam. 

Lets hope you can progress nicely this season. I'm sure there will be a permanent move if you do! 

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Their winner?  Chester's (I believe) fault.

No the one he spilled ,  I'm not against johnstone personally , I thought he impressed after a dodgy start and I think he will be fine - I'm not delighted but not upset he's joined either .

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The equaliser.

Jonathan Kodjia had put Villa ahead but an error from Sam Johnstone gifted Britt Assombalonga the equaliser on the stroke of half time.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/nottingham-forest-2-aston-villa-12556596

Yeah - he's made a couple of mistakes.  Same as our defence.  Same as most players in the world.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah - he's made a couple of mistakes.  Same as our defence.  Same as most players in the world.

Indeed he has , I was replying to the poster who said he couldn't think of a bad mistake johnstone had made that's all .

Johnstone will be fine for us and I see no reason to worry about him - I'm more concerned about the back up for him if he gets a bad injury as I'd hate to see bunn in goal.

• Like 2

Oh dear. I was hoping this wouldn't happen. Nowhere near good enough for a side who are supposedly trying to break into the top 6. 

It is starting to look as though we really don't have a pot to piss in and if thats the case then how anyone can expect us to go from 13th to 1st or 2nd is genuinely beyond me. 

We desperately needed to bring in a quality, experienced goalkeeper. This is evidently not going to happen and to me that is a monumental error.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Oh dear. I was hoping this wouldn't happen. Nowhere near good enough for a side who are supposedly trying to break into the top 6. 

It is starting to look as though we really don't have a pot to piss in and if thats the case then how anyone can expect us to go from 13th to 1st or 2nd is genuinely beyond me. 

We desperately needed to bring in a quality, experienced goalkeeper. This is evidently not going to happen and to me that is a monumental error.

Huddersfield went from 19th to promotion so it can be done as Fulham and reading also went from low table to play offs the next year - johnstone will be ok for us and will have a very strong defence in front of him - I think it was said at the time that we did most of our business in January and this was always going to be a quitter transfer window regarding signings.

We brought 8 in only 6 months ago .

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Huddersfield went from 19th to promotion so it can be done as Fulham and reading also went from low table to play offs the next year - johnstone will be ok for us and will have a very strong defence in front of him - I think it was said at the time that we did most of our business in January and this was always going to be a quitter transfer window regarding signings.

We brought 8 in only 6 months ago .

I don't think we can compare other clubs to our situation. We brought 8 in because we were still almost the same side that stank out the Premier League just 6 months earlier. We were desperate. But we need more improvements to the side who finished bottom half last year and Sam Johnstone is not one of them. 

We aren't going up unless we improve the squad significantly. It's seems quite clear to me, that neither are going to happen any time soon.

Edited by One For The Road

I'm hoping he can fulfil his potential.

good size for a modern day keeper has much to learn and develop, hoping he can grow in confidence with us.

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I don't think we can compare other clubs to our situation. We brought 8 in because we were still almost the same side that stank out the Premier League just 6 months earlier. We were desperate. But we need more improvements to the side who finished bottom half last year and Sam Johnstone is not one of them. 

We aren't going up unless we improve the squad significantly. It's seems quite clear to me, that neither are going to happen any time soon.

I think even if we sign no more that we have a very good chance of going up - winning breeds confidence and I pray we get a good start as if not the pressure will grow on Bruce - I certainly fancy us for automatic promotion.

17 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

That has just tickled me.....I had a vision of 40,000 with gas masks sitting there patiently for the team to come out......and a sort of deep muffled hum around the ground as opposed to a cheer when they appeared.:D

just my sad, but vivid imagination.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm hoping he can fulfil his potential.

good size for a modern day keeper has much to learn and develop, hoping he can grow in confidence with us.

Not really a place for him to learn is it, bearing in mind that if we don't get promoted this season were screwed.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

Â