Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

As with last year, it'll get pretty old pretty fast if we're conceding from one of the three soft shots they have on target the whole match.

Showed nothing for me last year.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Blues and wolves have got stockdale and ruddy both on a free - good business from them -I'd have preferred one of those - johnstone is neither great or shit , an average keeper who improved as the season went along - we could have done better but let's hope he has a great season 

All of them had incredibly similar seasons last time round.

It's amazing the amount of stick Johnstone gets. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

All of them had incredibly similar seasons last time round.

It's amazing the amount of stick Johnstone gets. 

I do agree he gets too much stick, but at the same time he's not very good.

He's not a terrible signing or a terrible option. But he's shown nothing in a Villa shirt to suggest he's the best option we could have got.

I don't think Ruddy would have been better. I think he's regressed the past few seasons.

Stockdale would have been comfortably better though.

Hopefully Johnstone has some potential left that he hasn't yet realised, and he'll do it next season. If not then we've made a very average signing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I think ManU are trying to punish us for revealing SJ as what he is.

A shit GK who doesnt dominate his 6yrd box let alone the penalty box, Punches because he cant/wont catch, lets in shots that are not at him, his kicking and distribution is awful.

Take this from a baker, the size of the humble pie you are creating is going to be way too big for you to eat on your own. I just hope some of your 'likers' are happy to help you eat it when it's baked. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3

I actually didn't think we were up to much at the back last season. Positionally the vast majority of them, including Chester, were average and that probably didn't help him so I'm hoping an improvement in the defence will help his confidence and in turn improve his performances.

8 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Take this from a baker, the size of the humble pie you are creating is going to be way too big for you to eat on your own. I just hope some of your 'likers' are happy to help you eat when its baked. 

Well said  Nathan . (Baker ;) )

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I actually didn't think we were up to much at the back last season. Positionally the vast majority of them, including Chester, were average and that probably didn't help him so I'm hoping an improvement in the defence will help his confidence and in turn improve his performances.

I think having JT in front of him will help him immensely!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He's not a terrible signing or a terrible option. But he's shown nothing in a Villa shirt to suggest he's the best option we could have got.

I don't think Ruddy would have been better. I think he's regressed the past few seasons.

Hopefully Johnstone has some potential left that he hasn't yet realised, and he'll do it next season. If not then we've made a very average signing.

I think it's inevitable he won't have fulfilled his potential yet. He's 24 years old with less than 100 games in him. 

I thought he had a good second half of the season and looked as solid a keeper as we've had in a while. My worry is that the £3-4 million which we would have been looking at paying this summer is going to look incredibly cheap next summer if he has a good season and we go up.

I don't get the loan rather than buy for that reason. It wouldn't have broke the bank to buy him and if he didn't improve as we'd like he's still a good backup to a better keeper we could have got next Summer.

40 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I don't get the loan rather than buy for that reason. It wouldn't have broke the bank to buy him and if he didn't improve as we'd like he's still a good backup to a better keeper we could have got next Summer.

If we'd bought him then we'd be in the Prem next season and have a keeper we'd just bought who isn't good enough for the league we are in.

A loan is prudent, imo. He's adequate at this level so having him for a season makes sense.

Unless he improves dramatically then he won't be good enough to make the step up to the Prem with us.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If we'd bought him then we'd be in the Prem next season and have a keeper we'd just bought who isn't good enough for the league we are in.

A loan is prudent, imo. He's adequate at this level so having him for a season makes sense.

Unless he improves dramatically then he won't be good enough to make the step up to the Prem with us.

He's good at Championship level in my opinion with the potential to improve. If he does improve then we're going to regret not taking him at this Summer's price is what I was saying.

Additionally, if he doesn't improve he is still better than any other keeper we have at the club so would still be a good option as backup unless we are going to sign both a starting and sub keeper if we get promoted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I would be pretty surprised if Stockdale made many more saves or conceded far fewer goals than Johnstone (on average) last season.  And he got "Goalkeeper Of The Year".

42 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I would be pretty surprised if Stockdale made many more saves or conceded far fewer goals than Johnstone (on average) last season.  And he got "Goalkeeper Of The Year".

Both of which aren't particularly reliable measures of a goalkeeper's ability to be perfectly honest.

• Like 2

He is a generally a good shot stopper which to be honest every keeper should be. The biggest problem for me was he was scared to come off his line. I did see improvement in this area though as he got more cofident but he really needs to start commanding his 6 yard area more. I'm never seen defenders have to head the ball away near their own goal line so often like Baker and Chester had to last season. 

23 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I think ManU are trying to punish us for revealing SJ as what he is.

A shit GK who doesnt dominate his 6yrd box let alone the penalty box, Punches because he cant/wont catch, lets in shots that are not at him, his kicking and distribution is awful.

Im not talking about his abilityetc.  That I have to rely on Steve Bruce and the goalkeeping coach Gary Walsh who really rates him.    But we shouldn't be loaning him for a second season.  We had our try before buy last season.  We need to be embedding a goalie who will be our goalie for next say 5-10 years.

Unless this is loan then buy to get around FFP, I don't see the point.  If he has a great season with and due to us, we then are probably going to lose him.

As for it being good to loan as he is average and we can get rid when promoted, there will always be buyers see the kid from Barca we bought.

United official site has not confirmed it yet -

Sweden international Victor Lindelof was the Reds' first arrival, sealing a move from Benfica last month, before Romelu Lukaku arrived on a five-year deal from Everton.

UNITED INS & OUTS - SUMMER 2017INVICTOR LINDELOF (BENFICA)ROMELU LUKAKU (EVERTON)

OUT 

KAYNE DIEDRICK-ROBERTS (RELEASED) 

JOSH HARROP (PRESTON NORTH END)

ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC (CONTRACT EXPIRED)

FAUSTIN MAKELA (RELEASED) 

REGAN POOLE (NORTHAMPTON, LOAN)

WAYNE ROONEY (EVERTON)

DEAN HENDERSON (SHREWSBURY, LOAN)

Story updated 10/7/2017

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2017/Jul/manchester-united-ins-and-outs-summer-2017-transfers-and-signings.aspx

4 hours ago, NIVillan said:

Im not talking about his abilityetc.  That I have to rely on Steve Bruce and the goalkeeping coach Gary Walsh who really rates him.    But we shouldn't be loaning him for a second season.  We had our try before buy last season.  We need to be embedding a goalie who will be our goalie for next say 5-10 years.

Unless this is loan then buy to get around FFP, I don't see the point.  If he has a great season with and due to us, we then are probably going to lose him.

As for it being good to loan as he is average and we can get rid when promoted, there will always be buyers see the kid from Barca we bought.

What's the point in John Terry then? We are signing players to improve the team this season. SJ will be here a long time if we go up. That's the most important thing. Whether that be signing Terry for a year or SJ. 

18 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Both of which aren't particularly reliable measures of a goalkeeper's ability to be perfectly honest.

Agreed - but the main thing people are saying is that he doesn't make saves. Very few shots per game = goals etc.

Stockdale is in this same boat. 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Agreed - but the main thing people are saying is that he doesn't make saves. Very few shots per game = goals etc.

Stockdale is in this same boat. 

Fair enough, but like I said previously, his shot stopping ability is actually pretty low down in the list of things I want a goalkeeper to do well.

Of course he needs to save shots, but I'm much more interested in other areas of his game. And Johnstone doesn't impress in many of them. And neither is he a spectacular shot stopper to make up for it.

Â