The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

4 hours ago, John said:

36 points and 10 points behind sixth tonight. We simply need to win all of our 10 remaining home games and 3 of our last 8 away games and bingo we have 75 points!

It's not going to happen or nearly happen though is it? A more realistic target is 14 points from our remaining games to hit 50 points and safety. It would also be nice to finish above Small Heath....It's a sad, sad situation.      

and its getting more and more absurd

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We are going to be down in this league for a long time...and before you know it the parachute payments will run out, the club will be hemorrhaging money, players will be sold at a loss, the wage bill will be slashed,  two bit journeymen will be brought in and we will forever be playing catch up or fighting off league 1.We have seen it before. Many times. Maybe some people like blissful ignorance but this is reality. There is nothing at this club which tells me we will be going up anytime soon now. All hope is lost.

Sadly on the evidence of last night this is how I see it. Don't look like we are going up anytime soon with shite like this

• Like 1

Time now to look towards next season and hit the ground running - Bruce needs to get his team tactics and formation sorted and have a solid run to build confidence - really pointless bringing in Johnstone as he won't be here next season and it's just doing United a favour not us .

I would bring in bree and Taylor at forest and introduce a passing game rather than the shit tactics of recent away games - get jedinak sitting  in front of the back 4 and hogan and kodija up front - Bruce needs to find his best team and formation and is a long way off right now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We are going to be down in this league for a long time...and before you know it the parachute payments will run out, the club will be hemorrhaging money, players will be sold at a loss, the wage bill will be slashed,  two bit journeymen will be brought in and we will forever be playing catch up or fighting off league 1.We have seen it before. Many times. Maybe some people like blissful ignorance but this is reality. There is nothing at this club which tells me we will be going up anytime soon now. All hope is lost.

Agreed. Like people mentioned last season, it was the worst time to go down with the massive increase in TV money. If we don't go up in the next 2 years, we'll just become an also-ran in this league. The teams coming down will have masses of cash and, while that doesn't guarantee success, they'll have such a huge head start you'd struggle to see us competing. 

What's most galling is that at this point I cannot see a good performance on the horizon, even with the best will in the world we have 6 brand new first team players and it will take time for new and old to integrate. It's not entirely depressing though because this bunch will gel and we will get performances, albeit too late for the play-offs.

• Like 2

I never thought we would get in the play offs or go up automatically this season. We were in absolute turmoil after last season & Di Matteo was never going to get us up. We have replaced the whole team near enough & the players will take time to get to know each other. We shouldn't need to many players in the summer as on paper we now have a good squad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Time now to look towards next season and hit the ground running - Bruce needs to get his team tactics and formation sorted and have a solid run to build confidence - really pointless bringing in Johnstone as he won't be here next season and it's just doing United a favour not us .

I would bring in bree and Taylor at forest and introduce a passing game rather than the shit tactics of recent away games - get jedinak sitting  in front of the back 4 and hogan and kodija up front - Bruce needs to find his best team and formation and is a long way off right now.

I don't think we need to be cutting and pasting again what we need is a stable side. I'd take Thor out and put jedinak in. I would save bree for next home game. Last thing we want is new players coming into a losing team

As someone mentioned yesterday the rest of the season is one big training session for the squad now.  I expect the next few weeks will be a struggle but as the new team begin to gel and confidence increases think we'll end the season on a high which will continue in to next season where I will expect automatic promotion.  The players are not shit.  They just need to learn to play as a team and this does not happen overnight.  Most of the teams we are playing in the league have been playing together for a while.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As someone mentioned yesterday the rest of the season is one big training session for the squad now.  I expect the next few weeks will be a struggle but as the new team begin to gel and confidence increases think we'll end the season on a high which will continue in to next season where I will expect automatic promotion.  The players are not shit.  They just need to learn to play as a team and this does not happen overnight.  Most of the teams we are playing in the league have been playing together for a while.

This makes a lot of sense. On paper we arguably have one of the best squads in the division. What we don’t have though is a team and that has showed a number of times this season and was all too evident last night. We’ll never get a team though by chopping and changing 3,4,5 players a game.

Bruce has to have had a team in mind with the changes he has made to the squad last month. He now has to get it on the pitch in the formation he wants to play and stick with it. He has to allow for some teething problems and allow time for it to gel.

We as a fan base have a responsibility here as well though and we have to accept that things aren’t going to click within a few weeks. It will take time. Performances like last night won’t be acceptable though regardless of so many new players.

The focus has to be on getting a settled side now, building a team spirit and understandings, gaining some positive momentum at the arse end of this season and then going into next season on a high and going all out for automatic promotion.

• Like 2

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 22:18, tonyh29 said:

In the context of my post and building for next season then we need shot of

hutton - position replaced ?

gollini - gone

bunn

westwood - gone

gardner - position replaced

gestede - gone

Gabby - no idea

Elphick - arguably replaced if the 17 year old is any good ..ok stretching it here

Possibly Jedinak  - hard to say at present

And arguably Ayew for reasons I've outlined in another thread  - gone

I'd say that constitutes a clear out 

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 22:39, Chindie said:

Nobody at the club would agree with you and has a zero chance of happening.

and I've still got a whole summer window to play with

How would you say that zero is looking about now :P 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't think we need to be cutting and pasting again what we need is a stable side. I'd take Thor out and put jedinak in. I would save bree for next home game. Last thing we want is new players coming into a losing team

If bree plays at forest it might not be a losing team - Hutton is woeful .

I would make several changes - bree , Taylor, grealish, jedinak and hogan in for Hutton, amavi,bjarnason , green and adomah .

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

and I've still got a whole summer window to play with

How would you say that zero is looking about now :P 

Slightly higher than zero but in fairness you've tried to make that look better by saying a bunch have been replaced, doesn't mean they're going anywhere necessarily.

Just now, Chindie said:

Slightly higher than zero but in fairness you've tried to make that look better by saying a bunch have been replaced, doesn't mean they're going anywhere necessarily.

tbf I made it look slightly better by not quoting the bits where you said something like only a fool thinks this will happen :)

but I'd be surprised if those replaced are here next season , with the exception of Gardner as someone accidently gave him a new contract