January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

I would definitely bring in a keeper if it's possible. Bunn is a waste man who's only redeeming feature is his comedy value. Getting caught in nets and flapping around, kicking away beach balls with a smile on his face. How on earth he got a gig at Aston Villa I'll never know. 

Gollini concerns me. I think he's a good young keeper and I can see him being Villa's number one for many years to come, but his decision making at times is atrocious. He needs competition, we need an option. We basically have one keeper on the books at the moment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Welcome Carl Jenkinson.

Certainly an upgrade on Hutton, and should be one of the better right backs in the league.

Pleased with this if true!  Suggested him in this thread earlier this week and I'm certainly no ITK :D

4 hours ago, Fowlersrs said:

Bruce has come out saying we have one verbally agreed for Jan and could be 2 by end of this weekend? Could be loans but no mention of Wether that is the case or not?

Wouldn't surprise me if it's loans.

Pat Murphy said a few weeks ago that we were close to our FFP limit this season so I don't envisage much money being spent in January

One deal already verbally in the bag and possibly another soon is really good news. It is also a big change in pace to our approach to this window in recent seasons. Two into the club (on loan or permanently) by the start of next month and another 2/3 to follow as soon as is possible would do very nicely. :thumb:  

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Pat Murphy said a few weeks ago that we were close to our FFP limit this season so I don't envisage much money being spent in January

Wasn't that rubbished by Xia and Round though? I'd prefer their word than Murphy, who surely doesn't know all the financials at the club

• Like 2

Sam Johnstone would concern me.  

Gollini does need competition and I do have misgivings about him.  But Johnstone is another rookie keeper finding his way, so probably not the best competition for another young keeper. Or someone to bank on when (God willing) we face increasingly important games in the second half of the campaign. 

Gollini has had a full season in Serie A and came through that test with flying colours. The standard in Italy might have dropped a bit, but it will be better than League One -where Johnstone has spent most of his time to date. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Eh?

There is a link in todays rags. 

Brum mail

Aston Villa are hoping to strike a deal with Arsenal to take Carl Jenkinson on loan.

Steve Bruce wants the Gunners right-back to join Villa's Championship promotion push in January

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Wasn't that rubbished by Xia and Round though? I'd prefer their word than Murphy, who surely doesn't know all the financials at the club

I don't think so.

Round said we were "fine" for FFP this season, which I assumed meant we weren't currently violating it.

Happy to be proved wrong though 

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Jenkinson instead of Hutton - yes please, instant improvement. 

Jenkinson is a good player but needs for find his form and confidence again. Very decent RB and decent CB (perhaps I was right and we don't need to sign a CB....) he would be a very shrewd addition.

Wenger and Bruce had a good relationship during his time at Small Heath when he borrowed the likes of Bendtner and Seb Larrson.

16 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Jenkinson is a good player but needs for find his form and confidence again. Very decent RB and decent CB (perhaps I was right and we don't need to sign a CB....) he would be a very shrewd addition.

Wenger and Bruce had a good relationship during his time at Small Heath when he borrowed the likes of Bendtner and Seb Larrson.

But he would be a cb option that we signed so that would suggest we needed a cb ;)