Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, sne said:

"Mutual consent" more like:

Cake Or Death GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Have all the likes in the world for that reference. 

I’m also quite confident Steve Bruce would choose cake. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Thanks 1

Seems like a nice enough bloke and I feel for him a bit, but I get a shiver down my spine thinking of us playing under him. Absolutely awful football.

Even when we lose under Smith, we're playing positive football. Under Bruce it felt like he'd be happy to sub off a striker for a defender to doggedly defend a 0-1 deficit.

• Like 1

I've never met a Hull fan who doesn't like Bruce, tbf, but, well, they aren't exactly a club with a history of playing decent football at a good level, are they? He got them playing some crap football in the PL, and they were as happy as could be. I assume noses liked him too, up until he got a job here.

I didn't even enjoy watching Bruce's Villa when we won, though, it was horrendous stuff. Steadied the ship, and all that, but I often wished I'd brought a book to Villa Park.

• Like 2

I don’t get the “nice bloke” sentiment and the character references seem to be mainly from either his mates or from those who no doubt see him as a “proper football man”. As far as I can tell the Mr Nice Guy claim gets wheeled out in lieu of being particularly good at football management.

Still it’s another challenge he didn’t walk away from. That record is still in tact. Apart from all the ones he did walk away from.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've never met a Hull fan who doesn't like Bruce, tbf, but, well, they aren't exactly a club with a history of playing decent football at a good level, are they? He got them playing some crap football in the PL, and they were as happy as could be. I assume noses liked him too, up until he got a job here.

I didn't even enjoy watching Bruce's Villa when we won, though, it was horrendous stuff. Steadied the ship, and all that, but I often wished I'd brought a book to Villa Park.

Yep, one of my best mates in a Bluenose season ticket holder and he says "he wouldn't be welcome back because of the Villa link but, other than that, I'd happily take him back"

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yep, one of my best mates in a Bluenose season ticket holder and he says "he wouldn't be welcome back because of the Villa link but, other than that, I'd happily take him back"

That’s weird considering how many of our players they have had over the years…

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Man, that actually made me laugh  :crylaugh:

its-funny-cause-its-true-true.gif

Fat waste of space tactically inept cabbage head, you're just a fat waste of space tactically inept cabbage head, fat waste of space tactically inept caaaabbage head, you're just a fat waste of space tactically inept cabbage head!

Edited by fightoffyour

28 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Can't imagine how crap of a guy Alex must be that he has to suck up to his own dad. It's not like he can sign him as a player anymore either :lol:

Even crapper when you think he is going out of his way to show his Dad what a clown everyone thinks he is.  If my son did that I'd disown him.

33 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Can't imagine how crap of a guy Alex must be that he has to suck up to his own dad. It's not like he can sign him as a player anymore either :lol:

He might just...like his dad, and be frustrated with him getting abuse?

I think he handles it badly. He seems to go out of his way to look at fan comments about his dad, and it's probably best to just not give them the air of publicity than constantly having a go back, but if one of my loved ones was constantly getting abuse, I'd find it hard to ignore as well, I think.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He might just...like his dad, and be frustrated with him getting abuse?

I think he handles it badly. He seems to go out of his way to look at fan comments about his dad, and it's probably best to just not give them the air of publicity than constantly having a go back, but if one of my loved ones was constantly getting abuse, I'd find it hard to ignore as well, I think.

His dad is a grown man who has been in this business for 25 odd years. He admittedly has rather thin skin so you would think it'd be counterproductive to go out of your way to pull up abuse from the dregs of the internet to show to him and respond to.

Steve has admitted he doesn't even know how to login to the internet, so he can't even check for himself. If that were me, I'd try to shelter my father from that rather than make him wallow in it.

4 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Seems like a nice enough bloke and I feel for him a bit, but I get a shiver down my spine thinking of us playing under him. Absolutely awful football.

Even when we lose under Smith, we're playing positive football. Under Bruce it felt like he'd be happy to sub off a striker for a defender to doggedly defend a 0-1 deficit.

Yes I feel for him too with his £8 million payoff. 

Reading his quote about all the insults and abuse he took makes me sad. He's human. Yes, he's overpaid and outdated but he usually worked under fairly tight finances but still managed several promotions and survivals. Nobody deserves that degree of personal abuse for just doing their job, even if they are well compensated.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Reading his quote about all the insults and abuse he took makes me sad. He's human. Yes, he's overpaid and outdated but he usually worked under fairly tight finances but still managed several promotions and survivals. Nobody deserves that degree of personal abuse for just doing their job, even if they are well compensated.

Ah, the old “we’ve had to beg, steal and borrow” line that he likes to throw about! Which is never true.

Just 2 examples, but at Newcastle he came in 4 days before £40m was spent on Joelinton, a few weeks before ASM was signed, and was able to spend £50m+ on Wilson, Lewis and Willock.

At Villa he probably took us up to the highest wage bill in the league, as he tended to spend money on wages and loan fees (£4m on Terry’s wages, was it?) instead of larger transfer sums. Again, he used to always say he had no money, but he did manage to sign a shit load of players and give them all lovely bumper contracts (and… different topic.. often had no clue how to use said players!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

But he’s not just doing his job. He’s picking most of these fights himself, making completely needless and snide remarks about fans and other critics. He’s being a petulant child, when he should know better. For a someone often praised for how much of a nice man he is, he makes an awful lot of enemies and gets involved in an awful lot of media spats. 

Â