Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Out of curiosity why do people laud players like Mings who mention mental health issues when receiving criticism whilst at the same time slaughtering managers like Bruce? Is it just people flowing with what seems socially acceptable at the time? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Out of curiosity why do people laud players like Mings who mention mental health issues when receiving criticism whilst at the same time slaughtering managers like Bruce? Is it just people flowing with what seems socially acceptable at the time? 

Why does everything have to come down to mental health. The bloke is a garbage manager. What can you say?

He's a toxic person aswell. Every fanbase loathes the guy. He picks fights for fun. The amount of abuse he receives isn't because a great guy who does good jobs in bad circumstances and gets everyone from top to bottom and fans onside.

He's an awful manager. He shouldn't manage people. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Why does everything have to come down to mental health. The bloke is a garbage manager. What can you say?

He's a toxic person aswell. Every fanbase loathes the guy. He picks fights for fun. The amount of abuse he receives isn't because a great guy who does good jobs in bad circumstances and gets everyone from top to bottom and fans onside.

He's an awful manager. He shouldn't manage people. 

In what world is Bruce toxic? 

My point was when certain people receive criticism (and rightly so) then people will rally around to protect them but with other people there will ultimately be a group pile on. I'm curious that's all. 

• Like 3

Steve Bruce at VP. Holte end chanting his name for near enough the whole of his reign. Steve Bruce claret and blue army. Brucie give us a wave. Brucey Brucey...even until the end, and I was sitting right behind dugout that year.

He got amazing support. Up until cabbage gate( and that was one fan and I was sat right there for that) the fans in that stand backed him. Applauded him and encouraged him.

Yet he comes out slagging the fans off. Picking fights. Then complains about the unfair stick he gets.

I despise the man. He is an utter arsehole of the highest order.

"I keep picking fights with a fanbase that by and large and in person support me to the hilt....why am I getting stick?!?!"

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

When Mings speaks out he does so with under the umbrella of anti racism. Society (well, most of society) now accepts that racism is unacceptable. However, football fans still see 'banter' and name calling acceptable. Football has not become too PC or Wokey. The 'abuse' that Bruce has received is not due to the colour of his skin or his gender or sexual orientation, it is 100% based on his 'crapness' at being a football manager. He is absolutely dire and plays awful football. Giving abuse due to this is somewhat acceptable and yes you need a thick skin but hey, he is getting an 8m payoff so I guess that helps

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 2

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

When Mings speaks out he does so with under the umbrella of anti racism. Society (well, most of society) now accepts that racism is unacceptable. However, football fans still see 'banter' and name calling acceptable. Football has not become too PC or Wokey. The 'abuse' that Bruce has received is not due to the colour of his skin or his gender or sexual orientation, it is 100% based on his 'crapness' at being a football manager. He is absolutely dire and plays awful football. Giving abuse sue to this is somewhat acceptable and yes you need a thick skin but hey, he is getting an 8m payoff so I guess that helps

I mean, it really isn't.  Football fans are just shit.

• Like 4

Bruce had a team of Grealish, Tammy Abraham, Mcginn, Bolasie, Hourihane, Jedinak, Chester, Adomah sitting 14th in the Championship getting played off the park by Wigan, Preston etc.

We were told by his friends (and son), we should be grateful. Who are we going to get that's better? Villa fans should be realistic etc. Almost widely mocked for hounding him out. When watching a good team underperform week in and week out, yet get mocked by the media for wanting him gone causes a toxic atmosphere.

Guy is an awful manager and its not bad to say so. 

Edited by pas5898
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

In what world is Bruce toxic? 

My point was when certain people receive criticism (and rightly so) then people will rally around to protect them but with other people there will ultimately be a group pile on. I'm curious that's all. 

Maybe ask his tenant he evicted

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

When Mings speaks out he does so with under the umbrella of anti racism. Society (well, most of society) now accepts that racism is unacceptable. However, football fans still see 'banter' and name calling acceptable. Football has not become too PC or Wokey. The 'abuse' that Bruce has received is not due to the colour of his skin or his gender or sexual orientation, it is 100% based on his 'crapness' at being a football manager. He is absolutely dire and plays awful football. Giving abuse due to this is somewhat acceptable and yes you need a thick skin but hey, he is getting an 8m payoff so I guess that helps

Mings having mental health issues had nothing to do with racism at all. He said he had a low period when people were claiming he wasn't good enough for England (I don't agree but it's a perfectly reasonable opinion to hold).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Was this a 10 year old shouting this abuse 😂

It doesn't matter as long as poor Brucey can play the victim as always. Probably wasn't even directed at him. Alex had to search 2000 pages on an obscure message board to find it.

• Like 3

The problem with Steve Bruce the manager was the fact for a defensive oriented manager his team's didn't defend that well. Not tracked runners. Meek in the tackle, passing players onto space not realising that there's No1 there.

He never really adapted as a manager either, never moved forward with the times. The fitness of our players when he was here was poor.

Ironically some of our best performances under him were when the players seemed to ignore his tactics and play football. We outplayed Wolves who were the best team in the division.

That's what his tactics should have been. Go and attack. He would have gotten more plaudits for that.

I don't mind defensive football. But if then you can't defend you're hamstrung by the very nature of your tactics.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Is that some parody tweet or did he actually say that to a journo?!🤣

I actually think for all his faults as a manager he'd be a decent bloke to chat to if you went for a beer and five course meal with him given his wealth of experience in football (always thought that about McLeish aswell, less so about Lambert and Sherwood from our recent managers) but like many he can't handle even constructive criticism at all.

He said it to Luke Edwards of The Telegraph

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The problem with Steve Bruce the manager was the fact for a defensive oriented manager his team's didn't defend that well. Not tracked runners. Meek in the tackle, passing players onto space not realising that there's No1 there.

He never really adapted as a manager either, never moved forward with the times. The fitness of our players when he was here was poor.

Ironically some of our best performances under him were when the players seemed to ignore his tactics and play football. We outplayed Wolves who were the best team in the division.

That's what his tactics should have been. Go and attack. He would have gotten more plaudits for that.

I don't mind defensive football. But if then you can't defend you're hamstrung by the very nature of your tactics.

He just dosen't really coach tbh bar probably shouting at them a bit in training to run around (bit like that stick your boots on comment he said near end of his tenure here). For me what summed him up was when we lost the play offs. He played exactly same way v Boro with the Pulis long balls and then Fulham in final who played completely different style so that sums up his limitations.

It's very O'Neil esque.

Â