Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

The reason why he has a good championship record (and I'm genuinely not taking away hid achievements at this level) Is because he has spent half his flipping career in the championship.

Half his career? That's a stretch.

And pretty much every season he spent with sides in the Championship, he was a success.

9 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

The reason why he has a good championship record (and I'm genuinely not taking away hid achievements at this level) Is because he has spent half his flipping career in the championship.

Neil warnock has a good championship record. So does mick Mccarthy. Rdm did until he joined us. Doesn't hide the fact that overall, they are piss poor managers.

Remind me again what league we are in?

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

"Mediocre Championship level team appoints Championship standard manager"

It's what mostly happens.

Doesn't fit with the stated aspirations though does it?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm not happy at being in the position to consider Bruce a good choice for manager. I'd hoped Bruce was never a name seen a reasonable choice for the Villa dugout.

But right now, he's probably the best. Bruce isn't a great manager. But at Championship level he's got a record that isn't bettered by many, and he's done that with very unfashionable clubs generally. He hasn't taken over a Newcastle post relegation and romped home as expected. He's got Blues and Hull up, and he's bounced back from struggling seasons to get them back. At Prem level he's not as good, but he's still had successes with weaker sides for a while. Not that that matters to us at the moment.

And he's seasoned as a manager. He's managed for over a decade and he's been there and seen that. He's not learning the ropes, he's dealt with players he's learnt to handle drama. We're not employing a rookie, like we did with Tim and arguably RDM and Garde. We need someone who can come in and start another day at the office. Someone who has dealt with a dressing room, got results, knows the game he wants to play.

Bruce is that man. That's not to say he's perfect. I don't think he's the best in the transfer market, I don't think he's the most exciting manager, I dont think he's particularly flexible or clever, I don't think he's going to out think a smarter manager, etc etc. And that's also not to say that it wasn't possible for us to bring in a less proven name and have then achieve great things. But we don't need to gamble. We need the best shot at getting out of this hole as soon as possible, and we also clearly still have problems as a club that are quite fundamental. It's not a surprise that human nature favours an option that has succeeded before over options that might succeed but have no history of it.

It doesn't excite me and I'm pissed off we're in the position that Bruce is the right man, even near a coup, but that's where we are. I hope he shows his worth.

That pretty sums up where I am at.

I really don't care too much anymore who's at the helm. I just want to see us win again, and if a boring yet proven championship level manager is able to provide that, then I'm all for it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm not happy at being in the position to consider Bruce a good choice for manager. I'd hoped Bruce was never a name seen a reasonable choice for the Villa dugout.

But right now, he's probably the best. Bruce isn't a great manager. But at Championship level he's got a record that isn't bettered by many, and he's done that with very unfashionable clubs generally. He hasn't taken over a Newcastle post relegation and romped home as expected. He's got Blues and Hull up, and he's bounced back from struggling seasons to get them back. At Prem level he's not as good, but he's still had successes with weaker sides for a while. Not that that matters to us at the moment.

And he's seasoned as a manager. He's managed for over a decade and he's been there and seen that. He's not learning the ropes, he's dealt with players he's learnt to handle drama. We're not employing a rookie, like we did with Tim and arguably RDM and Garde. We need someone who can come in and start another day at the office. Someone who has dealt with a dressing room, got results, knows the game he wants to play.

Bruce is that man. That's not to say he's perfect. I don't think he's the best in the transfer market, I don't think he's the most exciting manager, I dont think he's particularly flexible or clever, I don't think he's going to out think a smarter manager, etc etc. And that's also not to say that it wasn't possible for us to bring in a less proven name and have then achieve great things. But we don't need to gamble. We need the best shot at getting out of this hole as soon as possible, and we also clearly still have problems as a club that are quite fundamental. It's not a surprise that human nature favours an option that has succeeded before over options that might succeed but have no history of it.

It doesn't excite me and I'm pissed off we're in the position that Bruce is the right man, even near a coup, but that's where we are. I hope he shows his worth.

Mods! Close the thread.

21 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Sorry, not good enough.

I'm really struggling to link anything you've said to industrial scale masturbation.

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

WOW... 10am Derby announce talks of McLaren being potentially new manager.

14:30.. McLaren deal all but done!

What is our hold up?

It is too quiet for my liking!

Not sure Schteeve had many offers to consider

12 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Because it's a piss poor level.

It's frankly embarrassing that we are 19th in the championship and to some extent pleased with the appointment of Steve Bruce. 

Embarrassing and boring.

Have I mentioned how boring he is?

So no actual reason for Bruce being poor, just that it's the Championship - figured. 

David Wagner is a piss poor manager. Sean Dyche is a piss poor manager. Gary Rowett is a piss poor manager. Ross McCormack is a piss poor footballer. Dwight Gayle is a piss poor footballer. 

Â