Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, Richard said:

Brian the argument seems to be he is perfect as he has been promoted four times.  I'm merely pointing out that is false narrative.

To my mind that is not what is being said...."perfect" is not a word that i have picked up from fans satisfied with the appointment.

I have picked up for a good fit for the position we are in

I would suggest that is your interpretation of fans supporting/defending the decision.

With the possible exception of Graham Taylor & Martin O'Neill I can't remember anything close to a "perfect" signing (as a perception) in  our history.

• Like 1

Happy enough. Not my first choice but probably not many people's first choice of all the managers in tge entire world.

He's here he has a decent reputation and gets the support from fans and chairman then I'm sure he will achieve the first target.

Going into a sulk because you don't get what you want is embarrassing after you get over 7 years old.

• Like 3

I think Bruce is the right man for the 'now' in our long term strategy.

In the same way that you buy better players as you progress to the Premiership/Champs League etc, a part of your strategy should also include getting better managers.

This notion of having a manager for the long term is rubbish imo. Howe and Dyche are the longest serving managers in the Prem after Wenger. They are there 4 years. That means the average would be 2/3 years at a guess. That's football these days.

Would I like Bruce to be managing us in the Prem. No. But right now, I think its the best appointment for the club.

• Like 2

Quite a trend setting here Richard, Selective reading.

What is interesting though.. 13:50 and we are still awaiting this announcement!

11pm last night and it was all yellow banners on SSN..

This morning.. SSN: Anytime now..  Yet still no announcement.

Is Dr. X having second thoughts. Why else the delay.

I also find Steve Bruce's comments last night interesting: 

"All I can say is I think I'm in the frame. I'm expecting a phone call tomorrow and we will see what comes from there."

:detect:

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

To my mind that is not what is being said...."perfect" is not a word that i have picked up from fans satisfied with the appointment.

I have picked up for a good fit for the position we are in

I would suggest that is your interpretation of fans supporting/defending the decision.

With the possible exception of Graham Taylor & Martin O'Neill I can't remember anything close to a "perfect" signing (as a perception) in  our history.

I have seen posts saying he is perfect for where we are now as he has four promotions.  I'll try and quite them for you if you want?

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

And so it begins.  I have seen fans on a Villa site set up to debate Aston VIlla,  discussing their opinion of the potential new manager of the club.  I have not seen thought police.  I have seen criticism of opinion.  I think it best not to get too emotive when describing other fans.

But Richard, just because we have a supporting view towards the appointment some fans have requested we explain ourselves....other than 4 promotions.

I mean.....come on.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Brian I am not making about me.  If I was I would have said as such.  Quite obviously I have made a general point in my post you have quoted.  In fact I culd use your point to say case proved because you have read it and assumed one thing!

Using peoples names like that is so demeaning.

Not happy with our league.  Not happy with our performance in it. Not happy with Bruce.  Not happy with most posts here.  I'll focus more on work for a while.   Maybe there will be something to be happy about Saturday.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Brian I am not making about me.  If I was I would have said as such.  Quite obviously I have made a general point in my post you have quoted.  In fact I culd use your point to say case proved because you have read it and assumed one thing!

In the flow of the current conversation it was a perfectly reasonable assumption to make, and one which I'm still not convinced was mis-placed.  But as long as it's out there it's out there.  Let's agree to disagree because I think or hope we understand each other's side.

There is a difference between extreme and realistic,  so yes I guess I am. 

Exactly, you'd just proved my bloody point.

it is sometimes beneficial to use the extreme example

So I gave an extreme (note: not realistic) example.

I'll leave it there having said my piece. Let's see what the afternoon brings.

Edited by Davkaus

1 minute ago, Richard said:

I have seen posts saying he is perfect for where we are now as he has four promotions.  I'll try and quite them for you if you want?

Depends in what context you want to interpret that.

I don't believe the emphasis is some much on him being perfect, more on us being such a damaged case and him having the skills to remedy us.

Â