Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

A long term approach could see us languishing in the Championship for years.

maybe but if we hire Bruce we be at most bouncing between both leagues which is worse

Just now, Zatman said:

maybe but if we hire Bruce we be at most bouncing between both leagues which is worse

Can't possibly know that and the evidence suggests otherwise anyway - he's had more promotions to the Premier League than relegations from it.  Further, he's never worked at a club with sufficient financial backing to achieve more in the Premier League than mid-table (which he has achieved more often than not).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Completely flawed logic. A therefore B does not imply not A therefore not B.

Not really.  You see a lot of people are saying promotions,  promotions and by the way 4 promotions and dont forget he has experience of promotions  in an attempt to justify the appointment of Bruce.  I was merely using an example to show it is possible to have a good manager who has not been promoted from this league and that on that basis it is not the be all and end all.  Now you could quite easily accuse me of using an extreme example and I may very well agree with you on that score.  But I would add that in debates of this nature it is sometimes beneficial to use the extreme example especially when people's opinions are not generally formed on the basis of the point being made but more the person making it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Can't possibly know that and the evidence suggests otherwise anyway - he's had more promotions to the Premier League than relegations from it.  Further, he's never worked at a club with sufficient financial backing to achieve more in the Premier League than mid-table (which he has achieved more often than not).

his last club he got promoted twice and relegated once, same with Blues and he left both clubs soon after 2nd promotion though Blues went down that season and we shall see what will happen with Hull who are now in freefall

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Not really.  You see a lot of people are saying promotions,  promotions and by the way 4 promotions and dont forget he has experience of promotions  in an attempt to justify the appointment of Bruce.  I was merely using an example to show it is possible to have a good manager who has not been promoted from this league and that on that basis it is not the be all and end all.  Now you could quite easily accuse me of using an extreme example and I may very well agree with you on that score.  But I would add that in debates of this nature it is sometimes beneficial to use the extreme example especially when people's opinions are not generally formed on the basis of the point being made but more the person making it.

It's really quite easy to want the perfect manager and accept nothing less

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

No I am suggesting that promotion from this league is not the be all and end all,  and certainly not AS important as people are making it out

I think you are in a very small minority with that first line. 

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say there? 

Would you be happy staying in the championship with a manager you like, rather than get promoted with a manger you feel is limited?

in order to start heading back to 'where we belong', then surely promotion is the very definition of 'the be all and all'? 

3 minutes ago, Craigy1874 said:

Aww not that bullshit term again!  I though that gone along with the old regime :(

Ok here's one,  I am not romantically nourished by the appointment of Bruce. Better?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

It doesn't really feel like you read or understood my post.To follow from your point of emphasizing using extreme examples;

we should sign Suarez, he did really well scoring goals in the Premier League. 

Oh, so we shouldn't sign  Messi, because he hasn't played in the Premier League?

It's a nonsense argument.

Edited by Davkaus

8 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I think you are in a very small minority with that first line. 

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say there? 

Would you be happy staying in the championship with a manager you like, rather than get promoted with a manger you feel is limited?

in order to start heading back to 'where we belong', then surely promotion is the very definition of 'the be all and all'? 

I wish people would read in context what I have posted.  Clearly in a debate about the relative merits of our potential new manager people are saying he has promotions.  Further,  even more clearly,  I am saying that having promotions on your CV is not to me AS important in terms of ability.

Edited by Richard

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

when people's opinions are not generally formed on the basis of the point being made but more the person making it.

Please do not make this about you just because people are disagreeing with your opinion.  At some point you are going to have to accept that people are disagreeing with the point being made, and not because of who is making it.

• Like 1

Â