Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Who are you agreeing with? :unsure:

A suggestion BOF made.

He is not officially our manager or any announcement made!

The longer time is ticking the more I am becoming convinced it is not going to be Bruce.

Yes I will take all the criticisms for making this statement that I am deluded, on smack whatever. 

Seriously  what is the hold up!

Derby announced their new manager within 4 hours of having talks with him this morning!

21 minutes ago, Richard said:

Doesn't fit with the stated aspirations though does it?

No, it doesn't. But then again, the stated aspirations are perhaps ever so slightly, just a teensy bit, y'know, completely unrealistic.

I've no problem with aiming for the stars, or really with generating a bit of publicity from time to time, and won't be all cross and everything if they are not met in full. With selecting managers you never know the details of who might have been able to be got, who turned it down, who they ruled out and all the rest of it. But basically I'm underwhelmed. I didn't want him, I don't rate the bloke. but meh, it's (apparently) done now.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

What would you have done Richard if you were the owner?

A younger option with a villa connection and an older head alongside them  Barry as player manager- with Hoddle Platt/Hoddle/Rednapp/ Souness take your pick from these three.

I swear, some of the people on here act like when XIA put his grand vision together a part of his Grand master vision was appointing Steve Bruce! Circumstances and common sense must prevail at some point ffs! Once again almost NONE of us would have wanted or envisioned Steve Bruce being our first choice manager initially, but as of now it is the best we could do and IMO a wise choice.

Bare in mind I liked BOTH Pearson and RDM, hell I even liked Tim Sherwood, now I just want us to get back to the Premier League and I don't care how we get there.

If there were top quality "sexy" managers knocking on the Villa door to manage us, do you not think XIA and the board would have considered it? Or do you think they have had a secret Steve Bruce fetish all along?

:crylaugh:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

A suggestion BOF made.

That was more because of Chindie's drop the mic post earlier :) I felt little could be added after that.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I swear, some of the people on here act like when XIA put his grand vision together a part of his Grand master vision was appointing Steve Bruce! Circumstances and common sense must prevail at some point ffs! Once again almost NONE of us would have wanted or envisioned Steve Bruce being our first choice manager initially, but as of now it is the best we could do and IMO a wise choice.

Bare in mind I liked BOTH Pearson and RDM, hell I even liked Tim Sherwood, now I just want us to get back to the Premier League and I don't care how we get there.

If there were top quality "sexy" managers knocking on the Villa door to manage us, do you not think XIA and the board would have considered it? Or do you think they have had a secret Steve Bruce fetish all along?

People forgetting we are a different prospect to when GT left Watford dropped down a division to join us.  Back then we were only 5 years removed from being champions of Europe.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

WOW... 10am Derby announce talks of McLaren being potentially new manager.

14:30.. McLaren deal all but done!

What is our hold up?

It is too quiet for my liking!

Id rather be us waiting for Bruce.

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

A younger option with a villa connection and an older head alongside them  Barry as player manager- with Hoddle Platt/Hoddle/Rednapp/ Souness take your pick from these three.

Putting the bonkers suggestions to 1 side you (and many others) seem to forget that we cannot force people to come and work at VP. Villa probably approached loads of clubs about managers in work and were either told no by the chairman or no by the manager himself.

Its the Football manager mindset that is so frustrating, its not like that in the real world. Villa are currently an ENORMOUS risk and have ruined number of careers in recent years.

People saying we should have got this guy or that guy are well out of touch of modern business.

Let's forget any aspirations of being one of the world's top five clubs. We need to stop the rot, reverse our free fall, push for promotion and get out of this division. 

We need an 18-24 month plan to get back to the PL and Bruce suits that perfectly. We can deal with what happens afterwards when we get there. 

(Good posts by Chindie btw)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The longer time is ticking the more I am becoming convinced it is not going to be Bruce.

Yes I will take all the criticisms for making this statement that I am deluded, on smack whatever. 

Seriously  what is the hold up!

Derby announced their new manager within 4 hours of having talks with him this morning!

It's going to be Bruce.

And Derby were talking to McLaren for longer than 4 hours. It's just nobody knew/cared to say until this morning.

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Short term gain - for long term pain is what you call this appointment I'm afraid and I'm happy to be one of those clowns totally against this decision 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Putting the bonkers suggestions to 1 side you (and many others) seem to forget that we cannot force people to come and work at VP. Villa probably approached loads of clubs about managers in work and were either told no by the chairman or no by the manager himself.

Its the Football manager mindset that is so frustrating, its not like that in the real world. Villa are currently an ENORMOUS risk and have ruined number of careers in recent years.

People saying we should have got this guy or that guy are well out of touch of modern business.

It's my view and I'm totally comfortable with it thanks and for the record I never saw the names I mentioned linked with the post - I'm pretty certain they would almost all have jumped at the chance although Barry might have taken some persuading to leave the Prem.

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I aspire to own a Porsche in 5 years time.  Right now I own a second hand 3 series.  When I'm ready to get the Porsche the 3 series will be sent to the knackers yard.

Is that you Alex ?

Â