Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I believe that someone mentioned Benitez. :trollface:

Not in relation to I think we should go for him,  just in relation to promotions not being so important on a managerial CV.  Happy to clarify that for you.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

:rolleyes: Nope... This is becoming unbelievable for a club of Aston Villa's stature...    regardless of our league and current position we find ourselves in!

How do you know he hasn't signed yet? Even if he hasn't and there are a last few contract issues being agreed, how is that 'unbelievable' for a club of any stature?

1 minute ago, brommy said:

How do you know he hasn't signed yet? Even if he hasn't and there are a last few contract issues being agreed, how is that 'unbelievable' for a club of any stature?

It would be splashed all across the Villa webpage (await wankfest puns to revive) if he had already signed - Surely?

Bruce was reported days ago.. So unless it is backroom staff issues I do not see how appointing a manager out of work so difficult!

I know I maybe wrong, but the longer time goes on for this to be announced offers a glimmer of hope it may not be him!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I know I maybe wrong, but the longer time goes on for this to be announced offers a glimmer of hope it may not be him!

I think you are wrong but I share your hope

• Like 1

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

It would be splashed all across the Villa webpage (await wankfest puns to revive) if he had already signed - Surely?

Bruce was reported days ago.. So unless it is backroom staff issues I do not see how appointing a manager out of work so difficult!

Its him ........these things often take time. If youre paying a bloke £3m a year everything has to be just so..........unless its clarke !

25 minutes ago, Richard said:

I wish people would read in context what I have posted.  Clearly in a debate about the relative merits of our potential new manager people are saying he has promotions.  Further,  even more clearly,  I am saying that having promotions on your CV is not to me AS important in terms of ability.

Tough to read context, you rarely expand on a point! 

The specific line was about promotion being 'not the be all and end all' - don't see how you can apply much context to that? It's a straight point. 

My counter point is, it IS the be all and end all if you believe, like I do, that we are one of the top 6 or 7 clubs in the land and should be back up there ASAP. Bruce might not be the man for the latter phases, just like other teams have swapped managers as they have progressed, but on paper at least, he's one of the best for the immediate task. 

We could have a manger come in, who plays great football and implements a 'style' across the club and all those other nice things we dream of, but if we then finish 8th in the championship every year for 5 years - what's the **** point? 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Tough to read context, you rarely expand on a point! 

The specific line was about promotion being 'not the be all and end all' - don't see how you can apply much context to that? It's a straight point. 

I find it helps to read it in relation to the post I am replying to and so quoting.

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm not happy at being in the position to consider Bruce a good choice for manager. I'd hoped Bruce was never a name seen a reasonable choice for the Villa dugout.

But right now, he's probably the best. Bruce isn't a great manager. But at Championship level he's got a record that isn't bettered by many, and he's done that with very unfashionable clubs generally. He hasn't taken over a Newcastle post relegation and romped home as expected. He's got Blues and Hull up, and he's boxes back from struggling seasons to get them back. At Prem level he's not as good, but he's still had successes with weaker sides for a while. Not that that matters to us at the moment.

And he's seasoned as a manager. He's managed for over a decade and he's been there and seen that. He's not kerning learning the ropes, he's dealt with players he's learnt to handle drama. We're not employing a rookie, like we did with Tim and arguably RDM and Garde. We need someone who can come in and start another day at the office. Someone who has dealt with a dressing room, got results, knows the game he wants to play.

Bruce is that man. That's not to say he's perfect. I don't think he's the best in the transfer market, I don't think he's the most exciting manager, I dont think he's particularly flexible or clever, I don't think he's going to out think a smarter manager, etc etc. And that's also not to say that it wasn't possible for us to bring in a less proven name and have then achieve great things. But we don't need to gamble. We need the best shot at getting out of this hole as soon as possible, and we also clearly still have problems as a club that are quite fundamental. It's not a surprise that human nature favours an option that has succeeded before over options that might succeed but have no history of it.

It doesn't excite me and I'm pissed off we're in the position that Bruce is the right man, even near a coup, but that's where we are. I hope he does his worth.

If I could like another post today this would be it.  Not because I agree with where you are at in accepting the appointment but because you have expressed it in an excellent way.  I also have some sympathy for your point I really do.  My sympathy extends to accepting where we are as a club for me that does not then take the route of accepting Bruce is the man for us.  I do not but Chindie i like your post

The reason why he has a good championship record (and I'm genuinely not taking away hid achievements at this level) Is because he has spent half his flipping career in the championship.

Neil warnock has a good championship record. So does mick Mccarthy. Rdm did until he joined us. Doesn't hide the fact that overall, they are piss poor managers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm not happy at being in the position to consider Bruce a good choice for manager. I'd hoped Bruce was never a name seen a reasonable choice for the Villa dugout.

But right now, he's probably the best. Bruce isn't a great manager. But at Championship level he's got a record that isn't bettered by many, and he's done that with very unfashionable clubs generally. He hasn't taken over a Newcastle post relegation and romped home as expected. He's got Blues and Hull up, and he's bounced back from struggling seasons to get them back. At Prem level he's not as good, but he's still had successes with weaker sides for a while. Not that that matters to us at the moment.

And he's seasoned as a manager. He's managed for over a decade and he's been there and seen that. He's not learning the ropes, he's dealt with players he's learnt to handle drama. We're not employing a rookie, like we did with Tim and arguably RDM and Garde. We need someone who can come in and start another day at the office. Someone who has dealt with a dressing room, got results, knows the game he wants to play.

Bruce is that man. That's not to say he's perfect. I don't think he's the best in the transfer market, I don't think he's the most exciting manager, I dont think he's particularly flexible or clever, I don't think he's going to out think a smarter manager, etc etc. And that's also not to say that it wasn't possible for us to bring in a less proven name and have then achieve great things. But we don't need to gamble. We need the best shot at getting out of this hole as soon as possible, and we also clearly still have problems as a club that are quite fundamental. It's not a surprise that human nature favours an option that has succeeded before over options that might succeed but have no history of it.

It doesn't excite me and I'm pissed off we're in the position that Bruce is the right man, even near a coup, but that's where we are. I hope he shows his worth.

This one is spot on.

I just wonder if Bruce fancies that England role. 

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

The reason why he has a good championship record (and I'm genuinely not taking away hid achievements at this level) Is because he has spent half his flipping career in the championship.

Neil warnock has a good championship record. So does mick Mccarthy. Rdm did until he joined us. Doesn't hide the fact that overall, they are piss poor managers.

If they've spent much of their career at that level, and have achieved success in doing so, how can they be considered piss poor managers?

Edit: As in, what makes Bruce a piss poor manager?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

If they've spent much of their career at that level, and have achieved success in doing so, how can they be considered piss poor managers?

Because it's a piss poor level.

It's frankly embarrassing that we are 19th in the championship and to some extent pleased with the appointment of Steve Bruce. 

Embarrassing and boring.

Have I mentioned how boring he is?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Cause it would suggest that is their ceiling in terms of accomplishments.

Yo-yo managers!

6 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I think if you hire a manager who has a good record at doing what you want him to do for you then you're in a better position to succeed than to hire someone who has either never done it or tried and failed.

That is what Dr T will be thinking I'm sure, there are no guarantees, but I need to give myself the best chance.

Â