Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the promotions he has are impressive but I think a long term approach needs to be taken, Southampton, Swansea, Bournemouth have proven that you can get right managers at this level and show progress

I think we didnt even want to think outside the box

Nigel Adkins, Brendan Rodgers and Eddie Howe, presumably?

I understand the clamour for a long term approach, but I don't see a reasonable choice of manager that ticks boxes to the extent that Rodgers and Howe would've done at the same time (Howe was a risk that was hugely backed, by the way).  Further, Burnley took the chance on bringing in Eddie Howe and it failed - he couldn't do it and went straight back to Bournemouth.  Sometimes people only work well in certain environments.  Brendan Rodgers quit Reading leaving them in 20th position in the Championship before he went to Swansea.  Would you take a risk like that?

Each club you've mentioned was on the brink of not existing and had to radically change the way they conducted their business - they've all subsequently received huge backing (probably less so Swansea, though they get favours from the council).

I just can't think of a manager that fits the bill like that.  Maybe Paul Clement would've been the one, but then he didn't do much of note at Derby.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

I'd do a LOL if Dr X surprises us with someone else now.

I'm in the middle on Bruce.  Nothing against him in particular but not very inspired either.  I hope and expect that he'll be able to hit the ground running and it sounds as though no-one else wanted to take us on at this point.  At least he's excited about it.  

Please get us winning again - that's all.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Other than Fat Sam who for obvious reasons wasn't available then Bruce is the perfect choice

Not that it matters really, but even if Allerdici was available and if it was a straight choice between those 2, I'd go with Bruce.  They'll both get you up (fnarr fnarr), but at least Bruce's teams play something akin to football.  Sam would be eye-stabbingly bad.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jon_c said:

What I've not managed to get out of anyone yet is what do they think Bruce brings it terms of his talent as a football coach? 

And I don't mean answer he got promoted. I mean do you think, he is a great tactician? A great coach on the training ground, will he develops players? Do you think he's good in the transfer market etc..

I want to hear a detailed reasoning for his appointment from someone who believes in it. Other than he got promotions, as I've said before, that isn't enough of an argument many awful managers have had promotions from this league. What sets Bruce apart?

Unless you spend your mornings down at Bodymoor heath with a laptop doing the football equivalent of due diligence, we would be hard pressed to know.

most players sing his praises....but that can be twisted, by saying well they would wouldn't they.....If you don't like/ rate him, no one is going to change your mind

what is it with all this theory stuff....its a practical hands on guy we need.

Do you think Brian Clough & Alex Ferguson, not to mention our own Sir Ron, were some kind of academic geniuses in tactical strategy.

They did the simple things right....easier said than done....but simplicity is key.

as Henry Ford said " its not about what you know, its more about what you do"

we need doers.....we may now have one.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

How many awful managers have done it 4 odd times? Plenty of players or managers have a lucky season then do **** all else. He's proven at this level, and that's good enough when our club has been falling apart for the last 5 years.

benitez doesnt have one,  lets not go for him then ?

Reading through this topic start to finish has genuinely saddened me, the state of delusion is beyond belief..starting to sound like stereotypical Newcastle fans to some extent. The facts are literally on the wall with the clubs position; 19th in the League after being the worst Premier League side in history. Fans are happy to moan, criticism and create negativity on an appointment whilst offering no feasible alternative. Let go of this notion that we have a divine right to be in the premier league team and accept the current state of the club and the position we are in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carewjust4u said:

Reading through this topic start to finish has genuinely saddened me, the state of delusion is beyond belief..starting to sound like stereotypical Newcastle fans to some extent. The facts are literally on the wall with the clubs position; 19th in the League after being the worst Premier League side in history. Fans are happy to moan, criticism and create negativity on an appointment whilst offering no feasible alternative. Let go of this notion that we have a divine right to be in the premier league team and accept the current state of the club and the position we are in. 

Very patronising.

I know full well our position as a club.  There is a difference between not knowing our position and knowing it but thinking this manager is not the one to make us better.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Are you suggesting Benitez is an option? :unsure:

Obviously we'd all like a world class manager like Newcastle have got who has never had to get promoted from this league before. But that's pretty much impossible and you know it. 

If Newcastle tried to appoint Benitez whilst being a Championship club they'd get laughed at. 

• Like 1

Win, lose or draw. For me it will take at couple of games before he'll (or any new manager) be able to implement any real influence on this team. Other than a possible feel good factor and a more balanced formation obviously.

I will not turn against him if we don't win our next few games, nor will I build and altar in his likeness if we do.

We all know the issues we have in midfield, it is what it is.

All I demand is that he adjusts the obvious faults Di Matteo made, and try and improve the midfield as soon as possible. Free agents, bringing back loan players if possible.

If not, then good luck.

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the promotions he has are impressive but I think a long term approach needs to be taken, Southampton, Swansea, Bournemouth have proven that you can get right managers at this level and show progress

I think we didnt even want to think outside the box

A long term approach could see us languishing in the Championship for years.

• Like 2

I couldn't care if he's ex-blues
I couldn't care if he looks like Mr. Potato Head
I couldn't care if he plays a dull brand of football
I couldn't care if he really is the real Mr.Potato Head.
I couldn't care if he isn't the man to see through all of Xia's ambitions for this football club.

All I care about is if he can deliver results on the pitch. I'm so so tired of watching a completely inept team at Villa Park. If he can deliver some half decent results this season and get us promoted next season then job well done. I hope he gets himself a nice little Brucey-bonus for achieving it too.

The Championship is a shocking league, you don't need a tactically flexible manager to get out of it, you just need to play to your strengths and stick to what you're good at, even if it's the same thing on repeat. Bruce knows this, and will get us playing the same way.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

That's specious reasoning Richard and I suspect you know as much.  No-one is saying that a manager with no promotions can't get promoted.  That doesn't mean it can't also be said that a manager with a habit of being promoted isn't a good choice too.  They're not mutually exclusive.

Brian the argument seems to be he is perfect as he has been promoted four times.  I'm merely pointing out that is false narrative.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Brian the argument seems to be he is perfect as he has been promoted four times.  I'm merely pointing out that is false narrative.

No-one is using the term "perfect" - more "good fit".

There are plenty of managers I'd take at the club right now; Steve Bruce is one of them.

• Like 1

Just now, Richard said:

If a person values promotion above all else then it is hard to better Bruce's record.  If you are looking more long term then yes promotion would be a false narrative.  So it depends on the priorities of the person making the statement, and I think 'perfect' is a strong word although we're into semantics at that point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Are you suggesting Benitez is an option? :unsure:

No I am suggesting that promotion from this league is not the be all and end all,  and certainly not AS important as people are making it out

12 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

I will never accept that we are not a big club.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

Completely flawed logic. A therefore B does not imply not A therefore not B.

It being a positive that a manager has experience of something doesn't mean that a manager without that experience should be ruled out.

Edited by Davkaus

33 minutes ago, terrytini said:

On your theory that money talks presumably we get Wenger or Pep if we offer enough ?

Course we don't, so don't knock the Club for failing to get someone when we don't even know they exist.

I'm pretty sure that we do know they exist,( though whether Wenger knows he exists is questionable - every morning when he looks in the mirror he doesn't see anything...)

• Like 1

Â