Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

a genius, I be worried Barcelona will take him now if Enrique packs it in  ;)

maybe xia should give him a 10 year contract to ensure we get sufficient compo!

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

hopefully Xia is looking at the backlash on Twitter and having 2nd thoughts

Nah, I wan't our owner too be 100% certain about his choice.

If he's that uncertain that he lets the fans sway his appointment this late in the process I'd be very worried. Would show weakness IMO.

Bruce might not be my choice, but one can't really compare this to the McLeish situation. He was as anti football as is humanly possible and had just had his team relegated. 

Bruce is OK

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

And to add to my point above, I think it's to the fans' credit that that's the case.  The fact that our discussions and disagreements are about his abilities as a manager at Villa is exactly the way it should be.

No doubt the meeja will try and spin the usual line and whip up another false perception that keeps them regurgitating their go-to narrative for the duration.  Yawn.

Certain Villa fans with the bed sheets out already have not done the club any favours with the media and the current perception they have of us.

• Like 1

What I've not managed to get out of anyone yet is what do they think Bruce brings it terms of his talent as a football coach? 

And I don't mean answer he got promoted. I mean do you think, he is a great tactician? A great coach on the training ground, will he develops players? Do you think he's good in the transfer market etc..

I want to hear a detailed reasoning for his appointment from someone who believes in it. Other than he got promotions, as I've said before, that isn't enough of an argument many awful managers have had promotions from this league. What sets Bruce apart?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Certain Villa fans with the bed sheets out already have not done the club any favours with the media and the current perception they have of us.

I know you're banging out about this perception thing a lot - but I do agree.  Our fanbase is currently pretty unbearable and this Steve Bruce situation is only proving that.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

I know you're banging out about this perception thing a lot - but I do agree.  Our fanbase is currently pretty unbearable and this Steve Bruce situation is only proving that.

But those fans very likely also played a big part in finally forcing Lerner to sell the club, so it goes both ways.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jon_c said:

What I've not managed to get out of anyone yet is what do they think Bruce brings it terms of his talent as a football coach? 

And I don't mean answer he got promoted. I mean do you think, he is a great tactician? A great coach on the training ground, will he develops players? Do you think he's good in the transfer market etc..

I want to hear a detailed reasoning for his appointment from someone who believes in it. Other than he got promotions, as I've said before, that isn't enough of an argument many awful managers have had promotions from this league. What sets Bruce apart?

And to the contrary - what do people not liking about his coaching methods?  Why isn't he a good tactician?

As with everyone in this discussion aside from those who have actively followed Steve Bruce's career, we won't know.  It's about seeing what results he gets and judging him on those, surely?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jon_c said:

Other than he got promotions, as I've said before, that isn't enough of an argument many awful managers have had promotions from this league. What sets Bruce apart?

How many awful managers have done it 4 odd times? Plenty of players or managers have a lucky season then do **** all else. He's proven at this level, and that's good enough when our club has been falling apart for the last 5 years.

• Like 2

Just now, sne said:

But those fans very likely also played a big part in finally forcing Lerner to sell the club, so it goes both ways.

and same fans have also put up with 5 years of crap and sort of have a point to moan

Just now, Jareth said:

Talking of contract length, my guess is 2 years. Possibly why it's reported to be so well paid.

No I reckon it's 10 years because grrrrrrrrrr :rolleyes:

But he'll be poached by Barcelona beforehand :rolleyes:

Edited by bobzy

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

How many awful managers have done it 4 odd times? Plenty of players or managers have a lucky season then do **** all else. He's proven at this level, and that's good enough when our club has been falling apart for the last 5 years.

Neil Warnock has 3, fans wouldnt have took to him either ;)

I think the promotions he has are impressive but I think a long term approach needs to be taken, Southampton, Swansea, Bournemouth have proven that you can get right managers at this level and show progress

I think we didnt even want to think outside the box

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Money talks. 

We can spend 28million on two strikers but can't afford a better manager than Bruce?

I hoped for much more than Bruce. 

I don't get it.

What do comments like this even mean ?

Firstly, you have no idea who was willing to come here. On your theory that money talks presumably we get Wenger or Pep if we offer enough ?

Course we don't, so don't knock the Club for failing to get someone when we don't even know they exist.

Second, you aren't booking to watch the guy sing or dance, why does he have to be 'much more' ?

What is 'much more' ? Most managerial appointments that work need just some decent basic abilities, some luck, and 'the right fit'.

Sir Ron a classic example - wonderful here but little before and nothing after.

So who whilst I understand those who favoured a younger, 'project' manager, it is plain daft IMO to be so sure that was the way to go that this approach must be bad. And for those who favoured experience, but not THIS experience, really, is the difference between this choice and other similar ones so big?

Its a reasonable enough appointment and it's hard to see why anyone thinks either more, or less, of it than that.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Neil Warnock has 3, fans wouldnt have took to him either ;)

To be fair, Warnock's promotions were some time ago now. In comparison Bruce is a manager who has adapted year-to-year, despite being one of the 'old guard'

Just now, Mjvilla said:

Damned if he do and damned if he don't.

At least we can be relatively confident that Hull don't have a sell-on clause if Barça do come calling :thumb:

• Like 1

Other than Fat Sam who for obvious reasons wasn't available then Bruce is the perfect choice

what we do once we get promoted is another thing , but cross that one once he's done it

• Like 2

Â