Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just been reading the Leeds managers comments after the sha game. How refreshing is it to see a manager say i fecked up? Something I'd love from Bruce. 

Here

Leeds United boss Marcelo Bielsa says his side "paid a high price for a tactical mistake" as the Championship leaders' unbeaten start ended with a surprise home loss to Birmingham City.

"The proposal I chose for this game at the beginning was not the right one," Bielsa said. "We could not make the link between defence and attack because [Kalvin] Phillips could not receive the ball.

"Phillips had to assume the consequences for the mistake I made. When I corrected the mistake, the rival had already scored two goals. It is a high price to pay for a tactical mistake."

Villa head to Ashton Gate with Bruce’s position under serious scrutiny following a run of just one win in seven Championship games.

It is thought another poor performance and defeat against the Robins could lead to the club’s owners wielding the axe and ending Bruce’s tenure days shy of his two-year anniversary.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2018/09/27/under-fire-aston-villa-boss-steve-bruce-feeling-no-extra-pressure-ahead-of-pivotal-trip-to-bristol-city/

If a defeat tonight means Bruce gets the sack then I'll take it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Just going back to the RDM discussion. For me, it always felt that the losses and draws with RDM were unlucky, and with Bruce, for the most part the wins seem lucky and the draws expected.

I was speaking to a friend about this the other day funnily enough. Under RDM, we actually played some nice stuff and I always thought we were unlucky when we didn't draw/win. Then, Bruce came in and we were winning games when we didn't play well. 
The problem is, this will only ever last so long. Bruce has no idea how to set this team up and there is absolutely no long term strategy. Should he get another transfer window, he'll just go out and buy the best players he thinks are available regardless of which positions we need to strengthen or how the team is set up to play tactically. 

Every game this dinosaur is invovled in is a game wasted. We're going nowhere under this unintelligent clown. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

Just been reading the Leeds managers comments after the sha game. How refreshing is it to see a manager say i fecked up? Something I'd love from Bruce. 

Here

And to see him explain in detail what was wrong and not just spout some vague platitudes. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This league is relentless. In my opinion first and foremost you need to be solid as a rock. Not concede easily. Secondly you need to work your socks off. Thirdly you need to be able to utilise set pieces. So crucial in this league.  

Obviously all of the above helps if you have top player. But I do think whats gets overlooked is just how hard the Wolves and Cardiff players used to work. Also how many set pieces they scored from. In the case of Wolves, for all the good football they had some very powerful players.  Also there were a lot of wins when they had to handle pressure from opponents.

For all the criticism of Villa one thing we had last season was a solid base. We were hard to beat.  We never conceded in the last 15 minutes when in front. That’s pretty impressive and something you can credit Bruce with. 

This season we just look a complete mess. 

Spot On.

I think that is a brilliant post despite the brevity....rounded off in a nutshell.

• Thanks 1

Double edge sword for me with Bruce and Villa at the minute.

I don’t want Bruce as manager anymore yet if we win games he stays yet I don’t want Villa to lose but if he loses he will hopefully get the sack. 

Win or lose Bruce has to go but then you can’t really sack a manager that’s winning but I just want him gone. 

3 minutes ago, Dirtysanchez said:

Double edge sword for me with Bruce and Villa at the minute.

I don’t want Bruce as manager anymore yet if we win games he stays yet I don’t want Villa to lose but if he loses he will hopefully get the sack. 

Win or lose Bruce has to go but then you can’t really sack a manager that’s winning but I just want him gone. 

I think we all feel a bit like that.

In the ideal world.....He will be judged over a much longer period as opposed to one straw breaking the camels back, like to-nights game.

I think we all know how SB sets up and he admitted himself that's his way.....its whether the club want to go in that direction.

I think in terms of stability, we have kinda fixed that to a degree.......Its where we go from here and that should not just rely on the Bristol result, either way.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Here

I've said a few times, if Bruce came across as more honest, instead of slagging everyone off he would have a better chance of winning people over.

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Here

Fairly sure he admitted last season that he balls'd up not rotating the squad enough when we lost to QPR and Bolton (I think it was) in a week.

I'm not defending him for the sake of defending him but you say you'd love to hear it from Bruce so there you go........

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've said a few times, if Bruce came across as more honest, instead of slagging everyone off he would have a better chance of winning people over.

Bruce should be more accountable, the problem is we are losing or not winning too often these days. So there’s no way he’ll keep taking the blame. 

Id be interested to see if Leeds manager still accepts the blame if they carry on losing.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I'm gonna call it........we play deep....allow pressure....hoof....hoof.....hoof. Go a goal down.....bring on a defender for an attacker....hoof.....hoof...then equalise in the last minute.

Bruce interview.

'We know we must do better but I have a totally different team....we need time....we will be there or thereabouts blah....blah....blah'

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think we all feel a bit like that.

In the ideal world.....He will be judged over a much longer period as opposed to one straw breaking the camels back, like to-nights game.

I think we all know how SB sets up and he admitted himself that's his way.....its whether the club want to go in that direction.

I think in terms of stability, we have kinda fixed that to a degree.......Its where we go from here and that should not just rely on the Bristol result, either way.

But he won't be judged on just tonight's game TRO. He will be judged on his time at the Villa and in particular his start to this season.

Â