Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

39 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Is Alex Bruce under contract anywhere.....?

A frightening thought.... What if Bruce thinks that the answer to solving the centre back issue is to sign Alex? If that ever happens, I will be on the next 20 hour flight to Bodymoor to stab him with a trident.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

A frightening thought.... What if Bruce thinks that the answer to solving the centre back issue is to sign Alex? If that ever happens, I will be on the next 20 hour flight to Bodymoor to stab him with a trident.

Dramatic but justified. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yep a couple of late goals/moment of individual brilliance for two of those games. So that’s four games. Still plenty of room in my scrap book.

I’m not arguing. I’m just pointing out we’ve been this bad plenty of times under Bruce. All these better performances are the exception.

Not arguing with that....just saying we can do it.

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not arguing with that....just saying we can do it.

And I’ve been saying, since his first January that we COULD play really well but that Bruce’s approach was not the right approach to get us there.  And while you argued that I was wrong, you were not rude, abrasive, or xenophobic in your disagreement.  Others have been.  

So, I will be honest   It’s very hard not to feel some “I told you so” aimed at those that were less polite.   As insufferable as I’m sure some find it, I assure you I am restraining myself mightily to keep from saying it much more often and much more vociferously.   ?

You’re all very welcome for this self denial I am exercising   ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

Everything needs to be in place though, what's the point of sacking him without anyone ready to come in. 

Thats why you have caretaker managers.

He's lost the plot and needs to go ASAP, one one the coaches or youth team managers could do a better job with these players right now, at the very least they'd pick players in their correct positions. 

Plus it would give fans the satisfaction of knowing there is a new manager on the way rather than Bruce being in charge for the next x amount of games, with the lingering possibility that he might be here until the end of the season. 

We are roughly a 5th into the season and find ourselves in 13th place with undoubtedly the best squad in the league (and not played the big boys yet).

I can honestly see no reason for him to stick around even if we haven't found the replacement just yet. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

a bit disingenuous that line Trent, If I may say.

the earlier critics have not had 12 months of rubbish thrown at them....folk like me have defended him against personal abuse and OTT criticism....Hindsight is an exact science, but I believe in giving a manger time to rectify what was 10 years of decline. He has failed, but we just give him a bit more time than you.

The Holte sang an early burst of Steve Bruces claret and Blue Army......Its only when the putrid football took a grip and the euphoria of the wonderful goal from McGinn had subsided that the Bruce out chants started , when it was clear we was being beaten in just about every aspect of the game. I don't think his comments had anything to do with them as they too have been behind him.....I think " If the cap fits" springs to mind.....The home fans have been with him in the main, so his comments didn't refer to them.

The owners will act.....There is no doubt in my mind.

And in actual fact contrary to your thoughts "that we all knew this 12 or so months ago".....most folk would think that was premature to sack him then.

Folk, like Mark and I have stood by him against what we see as some unfair criticism at times, bear in mind the word "some"....because some was fair.

If I am bold enough to say.....I think most fans are having grave doubts about him now and furthermore and more importantly, not many see it changing.....I think the Holte End turned yesterday, because of the poor offering, and a defeat to a team that is unlikely to feature in the promotion race....not because of some personal defensive outburst, which was ill advised Imo.

In my opinion, its irrelevant as to the timing of the mood change.....its more important to make the change and bring someone in who can rebuild our future.

just for the record.....I am quite satisfied now in my mind, That Steve Bruce will not come back from this and nothing under his stewardship will resemble progress.....so the sooner the decision is made the better.

Many of the criticisms we have had about Bruce haven't changed. Who was the poster who got castigated by many when he posted Bruce should have gone before the start of last season because pretty much every point he made is still valid along with some new ones. Bruce is not very good at the job he has and has been well and truly found out. It's time for him to spend some time to get over the family issues from last season.

• Like 1

It’s interesting reading the early pages of this thread (I wanted to see if I had said something particularly stupid upon his appointment-nothing found yet but I bet it’s there).

It’s like going back and listening to an early ep from a band. It’s rough around the edges, some unexpected insightful stuff from the off, some of the players have moved on to other things, but you recognise a lot of elements that will be expanded on and become a regular feature later on. 

And then there’s an endless rut where the same stuff is churned out time and time again, until you wondered why you bothered in the first place.

37 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Many of the criticisms we have had about Bruce haven't changed.

In fairness to those who called him out early they have been proven right as the issues we had during the early part of his tenure still remain as we still lack any kind of consistent way of playing, a consistent formation or consistent game pan. It is very much winging it.

That isn't to say had he never been appointed or had he been sacked at the end of 16/17 or mid way through last season we'd be in a better place right now. He did halt the backward trajectory and turn us in the right direction, did put an end to the ingrained loser mentality (no win away in 15 months when he arrived, 5 wins overall in 18 months) and has seemingly got a group of players all pulling in the same direction with a professional attitude rather than the leaderless mob he inherited. 

He will also leave behind a squad that is as good as any in the division, obviously hugely helped by the budget he has been afforded, and one that is more than capable of promotion with the right man over seeing it. Bruce is now clearly not that man I think we all pretty much agree. 

The sooner we bring in someone new the better and it will in fairness be a breath of fresh air when a new man is appointed as initially at least we will all hopefully get behind him and there will be none of the divisiveness we have seen for the last year or so. Well at least until a couple of poor results ?

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, 1974Centenary said:

Its simple really...is 13th in the championship good enough....if yes Bruce stays,if no...........

I think it’s entirely possible if we give him another month we can complete two years of Bruce tenure  by being in virtually the same position that he found us in....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

a bit disingenuous that line Trent, If I may say.

the earlier critics have not had 12 months of rubbish thrown at them....folk like me have defended him against personal abuse and OTT criticism....Hindsight is an exact science, but I believe in giving a manger time to rectify what was 10 years of decline. He has failed, but we just give him a bit more time than you.

The Holte sang an early burst of Steve Bruces claret and Blue Army......Its only when the putrid football took a grip and the euphoria of the wonderful goal from McGinn had subsided that the Bruce out chants started , when it was clear we was being beaten in just about every aspect of the game. I don't think his comments had anything to do with them as they too have been behind him.....I think " If the cap fits" springs to mind.....The home fans have been with him in the main, so his comments didn't refer to them.

The owners will act.....There is no doubt in my mind.

And in actual fact contrary to your thoughts "that we all knew this 12 or so months ago".....most folk would think that was premature to sack him then.

Folk, like Mark and I have stood by him against what we see as some unfair criticism at times, bear in mind the word "some"....because some was fair.

If I am bold enough to say.....I think most fans are having grave doubts about him now and furthermore and more importantly, not many see it changing.....I think the Holte End turned yesterday, because of the poor offering, and a defeat to a team that is unlikely to feature in the promotion race....not because of some personal defensive outburst, which was ill advised Imo.

In my opinion, its irrelevant as to the timing of the mood change.....its more important to make the change and bring someone in who can rebuild our future.

just for the record.....I am quite satisfied now in my mind, That Steve Bruce will not come back from this and nothing under his stewardship will resemble progress.....so the sooner the decision is made the better.

Hindsight is indeed an exact science but a lack of foresight is an affliction.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wish we had some ITK’s. The lack of news about Bruce is killing me.

On a previous occasion, when we were unsure of Bruce’s future, we were told to re-read chapter 4, page 103 of this book by someone who claimed to be in the know.

It’s as true and helpful now as it was back then.

94091884-02F9-4808-B853-7CEDB2EFD521.jpeg

Edited by Shropshire Lad

24 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Hindsight is indeed an exact science but a lack of foresight is an affliction.

I think that is a bit harsh mate and whilst those who have wanted Bruce out for some time have been proven correct to accuse others who haven't been of the same opinion as having a lack of foresight isn't fair. It wasn't a stretch to think that a man with 4 promotions from this division, the last of which being 16 months before he joined us, couldn't get a club with our resources promoted. As it was he fell a couple of goals short of that.

Bottom line is that whatever our opinions of any owner, manager, player, coach, whilst we may at times disagree we all come at it from wanting what is best for our football club. 

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It’s interesting reading the early pages of this thread (I wanted to see if I had said something particularly stupid upon his appointment-nothing found yet but I bet it’s there).

It’s like going back and listening to an early ep from a band. It’s rough around the edges, some unexpected insightful stuff from the off, some of the players have moved on to other things, but you recognise a lot of elements that will be expanded on and become a regular feature later on. 

And then there’s an endless rut where the same stuff is churned out time and time again, until you wondered why you bothered in the first place.

The thing is I think a lot of people were fairly happy with Bruce until 3-4 weeks ago. Other than the fans he lost last season, the 'Bruce-Out' club

In fairness to him he's changed the club for the better in the time he's been here. The club is no longer a shambles as it was under the Lerner regime. However we have not established a style of play under his leadership and for that he needs to go.

I was Bruce-In until around the Reading game when it became obvious he had lost the team.

Â