Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

It shows what pressure can do, not pressure on the Villa manager or players but on the opposition. We never gave them a moment to settle, and we hounded them as a unit, I posted somewhere on here about that a couple of weeks ago. Players weren't working together to close the ball down and not give the opposition a place to go. We did that today and received the ball further up the field to attack their final third. We did it at pace and pushed them onto the back foot.

Great team performance all round and a special mention to Jack, I have called him a luxury player but put in a performance that sets the standard he should only rise from.

P.S. Also finally got some cross into the box. Halleulua!!!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Until he is on course to meet the targets set for him, i think every dropped point is fair game to question and criticise. 

No problem with that - so long as it doesn't get 'hysterical'.  

• Like 1

Brucey - I'm hysterical! Thank you for not going defensive and for the team taking the game to Bristol City again and again. It's all we want because we know we have the players capable of that at this level. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's weird. 

The last time I finally buckled and wanted him gone, we went on our first run this season.

This time around I finally buckled again and wanted him gone and he's got 2 wins in a row after that including that performance today.

I think the guy is just **** with me.

Well I hope you keep wanting him gone, you could be key to our season Stevo :D

I'm not going to praise SB for doing what should have been done before - push on more, take the game to some of these sides, especially at home.

Tonight showed what happened when some creativity was unleashed with a positive, go-forward attitude.

Oh, and we do look better with Whelan out of the team.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It was on AVTV.  You should have more access to games now than UK based fans.

Everything I've read about AVTV has been negative (must be us Villa fans, right?) and the thread at VT is no exception.

So I've decided not to pay for it.

Usually able to watch the games on Facebook but can't be bothered to join yet another group on Facebook for this particular game.

As for Villa games on Swedish telly there's been maybe 5 this season

• Like 1

No surprise for me that he went with a braver style of play with Jedi sitting an Hourihane and Grealish both in AM positions. We have the quality and we shouldn't be so scared to lose. Well done Bruce and co.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's weird. 

The last time I finally buckled and wanted him gone, we went on our first run this season.

This time around I finally buckled again and wanted him gone and he's got 2 wins in a row after that including that performance today.

I know exactly what you mean!

I've never bought the idea of Bruce telling them to hoof it up the pitch. They did because of lack of movement and good pressing by opposition. Today the opponents didn't press and left way too much space and we took full advantage. 

It won't be like this every game because teams will not set up and approach the game the way Bristol City did.  This is why we don't smash every team at home like some expect us too.

That was unbelievable. Best I've seen Villa play in ages and by far the best performance under the Bruce reign. We pressed them high up the pitch, played quick counters and wasn't just hoof hoof hoof. 

I'm seriously impressed but that's why us Villa fans moan so much, look at what we can do. Absolutely fantastic performance. 

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's weird. 

Same. I'd reached a point after Brentford where I thought I couldn't care less if he gets sacked. Follows it up with wins in 2 big games. 

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's weird. 

Exactly the same with me. Twice Ive said that's it, weve scored 4 next game.  Missed my first home game for years today. :(

32 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Brucey - I'm hysterical! Thank you for not going defensive and for the team taking the game to Bristol City again and again. It's all we want because we know we have the players capable of that at this level. 

I still think we need more wingers, quality wingers before we can start tearing apart other teams. The res of our midfield, strikers and defencei think we're alright. But we desperately need  more wingers

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I've never bought the idea of Bruce telling them to hoof it up the pitch. They did because of lack of movement and good pressing by opposition. Today the opponents didn't press and left way too much space and we took full advantage.

It's not about him going "yes, smash it."

It's him not laying out a clear plan, and allowing the team to have options in the system he sets up. Indecision and hesitation leads to hoof.

He focuses primarily on defence with his selections, and I was very unsure on his coaches when he first came in, particularly Clemence.

I hope to see a lot more of that sort of play for the rest of the season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well done Villa, credit to Bruce as well. Great result and hopefully more to come.

Thats why those of us who moan, do so, because against the majority of teams we should take the game to them and bully them. 

Good to see Hogan get a goal, will hopefully do wonders for his confidence. 

• Like 2

Shows what I know as 6 days ago I went off on one and said I was done with him. Thankfully those above him have more patience than me and aren't as short sighted.

He is getting to the end of the season now and we all need to accept that and do what pretty much 30k did tonight and get right behind him and the team and stop reaching for the panic button at the first sniff of trouble. I certainly intend to.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Â