Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

We've now equalled the 7 games unbeaten under O'Neill in 2009/10.  That run, however, was 5 wins and 2 defeats, whereas this one is 4 and 3.

The best run before that was 15th November 2008 until 21st February 2009 when we were unbeaten in 13 league games, winning 9 and drawing 4.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

We've now equalled the 7 games unbeaten under O'Neill in 2009/10.  That run, however, was 5 wins and 2 defeats, whereas this one is 4 and 3.

The best run before that was 15th November 2008 until 21st February 2009 when we were unbeaten in 13 league games, winning 9 and drawing 4.

It was also in the PL and not in the Championship.

But still a good run.

Well done Bruce!

I liked the atracking nature of the line up today! Let's give Grealish a run in the middle and see what he can do! 

Take todays starting XI and replace Hutton and Westwood with quality in January and I honestly think we could make a late run on 2nd! 

• Like 3

Impossible to argue against these results, even though I was against the appointment initially. I wouldn't say Bruce has won me over just yet, but it's happening.

I really don't like the inclusion of Gabby to the playing squad, but I suppose it makes sense with ACN coming and what not.

He's managed to change the mentality and instill some much needed grit to the squad. I still think the biggest challenge is ahead, he needs to get us playing even better, and seriously dominate these games, because we have surely have the squad for it. 

It's gonna be interesting to see how we handle the pressure going forward, because if we keep up this form, he's also gonna have to deal with the added expectations of a possible promotion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

So 5 games unbeaten?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Once again I thought he also got his substitutions spot on. Ayew was getting bullied and needed replacing. The Gestede substitution was the master stroke though and although when we were going forward he played through the middle when we were defending set pieces, including long throws, he went back and defended and Gabby went through the middle. The substitutions had the twin impact of helping us offensively and defensively.

Amongst many other things, there is a huge difference between Bruce and RDM in this regard. 

Bruce picked an attack minded line up today, the sort RDM was criticised for. And at 2-1 up he sent on 2 strikers, again something RDM was criticised for (and Sherwood before that), but with Bruce there is clear logic behind every decision.  

I suspect that against Leeds we may sacrifice Ayew or Grealish for an extra body in midfield, in the shape of Gardner or Bacuna. And thats the thing with Bruce, every starting 11, every substitution is tailed to each specific situation. 

Compared to some of managers we have had down VP over the last few years, Bruce is at a completely different level..

Edited by av1

1 hour ago, nnock1984 said:

Take todays starting XI and replace Hutton and Westwood with quality in January and I honestly think we could make a late run on 2nd! 

Not disagreeing with your upgrades but we are already making a run for 2nd. Undefeated in the next 4 games with a couple of wins and everyone will take notice of the mighty Villa!

• Like 1

Bruce doing exactly what most felt he would, because he's a good manager, certainly at this level. Back to doing the basics at a competent level, with mental strength and belief to cope when things go wrong.

He isn't a genius but he's what we need.

• Like 2

Â