Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I had quite big reservations about him when he was appointed so I perhaps needed less to tip me over the edge, believe me my natural inclination is actually for giving time and not for making changes. I just feel very strongly that when someone is wrong you have to make a change, time won't change the inevitable. I wanted him gone after the Brentford game and I still think we should have acted at that point.

In regards to Bruce, it is abundantly clear the things he has done in the short period of time that he has been here and they are in sharp contrast to RDM.

• Quickly identified a formation suited to the personnel available
  • Had the confidence to stick to it even when performances (Wolves) aren't great
  • Ensured players know what is expected of them and you'd imagine the consequences if not delivered 
  • Picked people in the right positions (crazy notion that one)
  • Made intelligent subs in matches which show he is watching the same game rather than making planned changes
  • Worked, worked and worked again on the training ground on team structure, positioning and responsibilities in and out of possession
  • Improved the performance of every single player individually
  • Installed belief and confidence 

All these things are evident from the way we are playing, if we could just be a little bit more creative and a little more clinical with our finishing we would start stringing wins together.

There isn't a side in this division we can't match in a game, including Newcastle. We just need another 5% or so of collective improvement, particularly in terms of scoring goals.

I was slated for wanting to have RDM sacked after the Boro friendly colapse, ShefW f-up and the total disgrace that was Luton.

For me, the list you compiled is spot on, and even if we had not had some good fortune and would have lost against Wolves & the Scum, I'd have taken the signs of improvement more seriously than the results.

Bruce has everything that RDM doesnt not have. Bruce is a football manager.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well I suppose I ought to 'fess up  - ( however unlikely, it's just possible someone out there in VT Land recalls my views and is thinking...hmmmmm, what has he to say for himself now huh? -,.. yeah, I doubt it)

I wasn't overly struck on RDM at first, hoping for Dyche but otherwise wanting anyone from Pearson, Hughton, McCarthy, Bruce, etc - a so called 'proven' Championship guy.

But like many I thought, OK, I can at least see where they are coming from, lets see.

After the Boro friendly I was very alarmed as nothing seemed to have changed mentally or organisationally - and I recall several arguments with other people saying he needed more time.  I thought it disturbing to say the least .I then jumped in wholeheartedly into the 'give him time' camp - although Luton suggested Boro was no fluke.............

With hindsight (on my part, not  - some - others) the Brentford game was indeed the clear moment his time should have run out.  I actually recall saying so to the guy next to me at the game, but then I reflected and thought "No, this is ridiculous, we have to stick with the guy, we can't keep changing".....and I continued saying this until IIRC I was practically the only one saying so !!  It wasn't just for continuity, I actually saw in the decent attacking play we occasionally put together the hope that with a few breaks we might go on  a Keegan type 'all attack' run...............but it were never gonna happen were it !!?

Once they sacked him I was happy enough with Bruce though thought many too effusive in their praise and many too negative in their fears - I thought Play Offs were out the question, with not just this seasons form to turn around but previous years in terms of goals scored and games won.

IMO the lack of reaction from the players in his first game showed just how deep the problems were - it looked like he was trying to give resuscitation to a corpse.

Well events since  speak for themselves, culminating in the (particularly second half) performance against Brighton, where I saw everything (other than conversion of chances) I would ever look for in a Villa side.  Not only was it good, it was like Villa  - people often talk about their Clubs 'way' and in many ways I don't go for it, but that performance really was like us at our best over the last 45 plus years.  Not silky, but attacking, not defensive, but gritty and determined, not headless, but full of passion and desire.  Well, I know what I mean - its early to say - and a lower level - but it felt 'Saunders-esque '.

So that's my Bruce story .Very glad indeed to have had my judgement exposed as poo.

rezpek

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I had quite big reservations about him when he was appointed so I perhaps needed less to tip me over the edge, believe me my natural inclination is actually for giving time and not for making changes. I just feel very strongly that when someone is wrong you have to make a change, time won't change the inevitable. I wanted him gone after the Brentford game and I still think we should have acted at that point.

In regards to Bruce, it is abundantly clear the things he has done in the short period of time that he has been here and they are in sharp contrast to RDM.

• Quickly identified a formation suited to the personnel available
  • Had the confidence to stick to it even when performances (Wolves) aren't great
  • Ensured players know what is expected of them and you'd imagine the consequences if not delivered 
  • Picked people in the right positions (crazy notion that one)
  • Made intelligent subs in matches which show he is watching the same game rather than making planned changes
  • Worked, worked and worked again on the training ground on team structure, positioning and responsibilities in and out of possession
  • Improved the performance of every single player individually
  • Installed belief and confidence 

All these things are evident from the way we are playing, if we could just be a little bit more creative and a little more clinical with our finishing we would start stringing wins together.

There isn't a side in this division we can't match in a game, including Newcastle. We just need another 5% or so of collective improvement, particularly in terms of scoring goals.

I also think he has improved the fitness of which he has said himself was a major focus.

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

Well I suppose I ought to 'fess up  - ( however unlikely, it's just possible someone out there in VT Land recalls my views and is thinking...hmmmmm, what has he to say for himself now huh? -,.. yeah, I doubt it)

I wasn't overly struck on RDM at first, hoping for Dyche but otherwise wanting anyone from Pearson, Hughton, McCarthy, Bruce, etc - a so called 'proven' Championship guy.

But like many I thought, OK, I can at least see where they are coming from, lets see.

After the Boro friendly I was very alarmed as nothing seemed to have changed mentally or organisationally - and I recall several arguments with other people saying he needed more time.  I thought it disturbing to say the least .I then jumped in wholeheartedly into the 'give him time' camp - although Luton suggested Boro was no fluke.............

With hindsight (on my part, not  - some - others) the Brentford game was indeed the clear moment his time should have run out.  I actually recall saying so to the guy next to me at the game, but then I reflected and thought "No, this is ridiculous, we have to stick with the guy, we can't keep changing".....and I continued saying this until IIRC I was practically the only one saying so !!  It wasn't just for continuity, I actually saw in the decent attacking play we occasionally put together the hope that with a few breaks we might go on  a Keegan type 'all attack' run...............but it were never gonna happen were it !!?

Once they sacked him I was happy enough with Bruce though thought many too effusive in their praise and many too negative in their fears - I thought Play Offs were out the question, with not just this seasons form to turn around but previous years in terms of goals scored and games won.

IMO the lack of reaction from the players in his first game showed just how deep the problems were - it looked like he was trying to give resuscitation to a corpse.

Well events since  speak for themselves, culminating in the (particularly second half) performance against Brighton, where I saw everything (other than conversion of chances) I would ever look for in a Villa side.  Not only was it good, it was like Villa  - people often talk about their Clubs 'way' and in many ways I don't go for it, but that performance really was like us at our best over the last 45 plus years.  Not silky, but attacking, not defensive, but gritty and determined, not headless, but full of passion and desire.  Well, I know what I mean - its early to say - and a lower level - but it felt 'Saunders-esque '.

So that's my Bruce story .Very glad indeed to have had my judgement exposed as poo.

The thing is Terry none of us are right all the time....and your point about the reluctance at changing managers and staff all the time still has a valid standing.

(Trent was vociferous in seeing the back of RDM and considering he was only there a short time....Trent was right.)

I agree with you, it does feel saunders-esque and what I mean by that is there is tangible improvement game to game, small but meaningful and progressive.

I was sure the type Bruce is, is what we needed, but I have to confess i banged the drum for Pearson, but I too now feel I was wrong there.

Lets just hope we can continue with the renaissance.

PS What this man has done in such a short time is remarkable.....I was beginning to think no one could.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I think Steve is doing a wonderful job, I am glad he is our manager, and the praises he receives and positives he has brought to the club are spot on.

However, there is one little chink in the armour.

I am a little concerned about his attitude towards youth. I don't know how accurate, but I read somewhere that he is planning on bringing in Kieran Westwood, making Gollini the understudy. This, along with the possibility of losing RHM, concerns me. I understand he likes " tried and true", and that's fair enough. If Villa didn't take that approach when looking for a new manager, we would have had Rowett or Wagner instead of Bruce. With players, there should be some balance though. It would be a shame for either Gollini or RHM to leave, and tear it up at some other club.

I will let Steve do his job, making the decisions what is best for the club, and the best way of taking this club forward, while I do my job as a supporter. I will kick back, watch the games, and I will support.

40 minutes ago, AJ said:

I think Steve is doing a wonderful job, I am glad he is our manager, and the praises he receives and positives he has brought to the club are spot on.

I am a little concerned about his attitude towards youth. I don't know how accurate, but I read somewhere that he is planning on bringing in Kieran Westwood, making Gollini the understudy. This, along with the possibility of losing RHM, concerns me. I understand he likes " tried and true", and that's fair enough. If Villa didn't take that approach when looking for a new manager, we would have had Rowett or Wagner instead of Bruce. With players, there should be some balance though. It would be a shame for either Gollini or RHM to leave, and tear it up at some other club.

I will let Steve do his job, making the decisions what is best for the club, and the best way of taking this club forward, while I do my job as a supporter. I will kick back, watch the games, and I will support.

You are right to make your point.

Steve Bruce has already stated the importance of the physicality of the game and he has said if you haven't got it you won't go far ,you don't have to be a 6' 4 stopper to qualify, but you must be able to mix it and stand your ground.It must come natural and something to behold not wince at.

I watched a period of the under 23's this evening against Norwich and sadly I was not that impressed if I am honest.

It will take Steve Bruce some time to spread his gospel through the club at all levels, but I am sure he will.

For me we have always focused on the technique, nothing wrong with that, but never seen much in the way of physical domination. I know that lends itself to the first team in the main , but it is good to train them early as it then doesn't come as a shock when they make the step up.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AJ said:

We are rich now, we can buy the finished article :)

I get the point about youth but....in reality how many Clubs in the Championship (and even less in the Premier League) do actually get much from their youth systems ?

I've watched our youngsters a few times and not seen much to write home about in the last couple of seasons.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I get the point about youth but....in reality how many Clubs in the Championship (and even less in the Premier League) do actually get much from their youth systems ?

I've watched our youngsters a few times and not seen much to write home about in the last couple of seasons.

Honestly I don't know much about our youth, but I highlighted Gollini and RHM, because it would be disappointing to lose either of them. They both have the real potential to be something special.

I am saying proven players are fine, but let's hang onto our future potential quality too.

Shooting our load into our hands provides a short term thrill, but we should be making beautiful babies too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TRO said:

I watched a period of the under 23's this evening against Norwich and sadly I was not that impressed if I am honest.

It will take Steve Bruce some time to spread his gospel through the club at all levels, but I am sure he will.

I think it'll be Steve Round's gospel ultimately. I was also not particularly impressed with the U23's, but I'm increasingly confident that we have people in position across the football club who can improve us, both in terms of Mr Bruce with the first team, and elsewhere.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mantis said:

Bruce has done very well since he came in and I actually really rate him but it's interesting to think what might've happened if Ayew had missed that late penalty against Reading.

It's all fine margins.

It is fine margins......but it always has been.

it all evens itself out.

If Peter Withe had of struck the ball squarely with his foot, he may of skied it.

We have to go with facts ( however derived) not fiction.

as the saying goes If my auntie had balls.....

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

This is far too one sided for VT!

We need to start losing soon so the other side can get their opinions in!

The "other side" are enjoying it too.....because what they were moaning at is gradually disappearing.

If they were still moaning.....then I would say there is a problem.

conversely a fan who is happy with great football and dire stuff with no differential in expression needs a personality check too.

12 hours ago, Mantis said:

Bruce has done very well since he came in and I actually really rate him but it's interesting to think what might've happened if Ayew had missed that late penalty against Reading.

It's all fine margins.

Or what would have happened if that lump of a left back hadn't given two away in the consecutive games...

Goes both ways as I was saying when people were defending RDM. 

Ultimately in the league over a decent number of games you pretty much get what you deserve.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

It is fine margins......but it always has been.

it all evens itself out.

If Peter Withe had of struck the ball squarely with his foot, he may of skied it.

We have to go with facts ( however derived) not fiction.

as the saying goes If my auntie had balls.....

Yup, we can also say what if thie many times we rattled the post the shot hit the underside of the bar instead of top side? We have been more unlucky to lose or draw certain games this season to be honest. Even in the beginning of RDM's tenure dear I say it.

Â