Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

It's a strange feeling having the right manager at the right time for the right reasons.

I cant remember the last time it happened-Gregory?

(Some could maybe argue Lambert also, it turned sour but he was the right appointment at the time) 

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just watching Huddersfield game, thank god we never went for Wagner. I said at the time he was just flavour of the month and it seems 

Well it's 1-1, and they are still 6th, so I think wild proclamations like this are a bit premature.

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

spot on

Attack wise we have relied on a  it of magic from someone most of the time.

However, is our "not so cohesive attack" because our play from deep is limited to Ayew/grealish picking the ball up deep leaving a maximum of 2 players in front of them? 2 forwards against a back 4 plus DM/s is not going to get us a lot.

or

A long ball with no bulldozer up front

we seem to "creep up the pitch" with our ball play because of our limited MF leaving our front 3 surrounded by 5/6 players. Movement becomes difficult because they always run on to another man. our quality is getting us goals not our teamwork

An improved midfield will play a part in this.

42 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well it's 1-1, and they are still 6th, so I think wild proclamations like this are a bit premature.

Its 1-2 now......final result

that wildschut looks decent for Wigan.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Just watching Huddersfield game, thank god we never went for Wagner. I said at the time he was just flavour of the month and it seems 

Since Steve Bruce was appointed, we've won fifteen points. Over that time period Wagner's Huddersfield have won four. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

28 minutes ago, villakram said:

Bruce's ceiling has been experimentally verified. Please realize your love is simply the result of being in a very low place. Brucey is our getting back on the bike shag, that's it!

Quite possibly.

On the other hand, if Xia is the real deal, Bruce will never have been at a club of this size, and never had the kind of budget he'll get here if/when we get promoted.

It's entirely possible that IF Bruce was to ever smash his ceiling, it will be with us.

That being said, I've long been saying we shouldn't be afraid to be more short term with our managers, so if that ceiling does come then I'll be encouraging a change.

It's not very nice to be talking about that now though.

• Like 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04j9f1n

Steve Bruce: I've waited 20 years for Aston Villa opportunity

Steve Bruce says he's "waited 20 years" for an opportunity like managing Aston Villa.

Former Manchester United captain Bruce, 55, who left Hull in July, succeeds Roberto di Matteo, who was sacked on 3 October, at Villa Park.

Bruce took over with Villa 19th in the Championship table, but they now lie just four points short of the play-offs.

"Since I've been here I've probably waited 20 years for an opportunity like this one," he told Mark Chapman and Andy Townsend on 5 live Sport.

"I've been around the block for a long, long time but this opportunity was one of those mouth-watering no-brainers."

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I was with you. The fawning over or castigation of the latest man in the spotlight is foolhardy. It's the same with players, the sample size can never be big enough. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I was with you. The fawning over or castigation of the latest man in the spotlight is foolhardy. It's the same with players, the sample size can never be big enough. 

I liked both. I still think Wagner would do well at Villa. He is still doing an amazing job at Huddersfield despite their fall of late. They just lack the quality and squad depth to maintain it.

However you just knew Steve Bruce was the man as he just has the experience and essentially thats what we needed. A leader. 

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Was briefly seduced by the prospect of a mini Klopp but had concerns he could be more AVB. I think Round made the right call.

20 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Was briefly seduced by the prospect of a mini Klopp but had concerns he could be more AVB. I think Round made the right call.

I agree I think Wagner was the sexier option, the step into the bit of unknown but I always felt that his record was so limited that it would have been a big gamble and that managing Aston Villa, with the pressure that brings, would have been nothing like he’d have experienced before.

Bruce has taken to us like a duck to water. Nothing has phased him. The first thing he said was that he still felt we could get promoted, with in a couple of days that this was one the best squads he had worked with. I love how he has embraced the challenge. Despite our position when he arrived he allowed himself no ready made excuses and a by product of that was he has given the players no excuses instead it has been a case of we made a poor start now let’s put it right.

It is still early days of course but as things stand I couldn’t be happier with the way things are going under him.

• Like 4

Â