Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

All in all a good 3 points away when I had us for the draw.

It was what was needed and momentum must keep going into the next game with another 3 pts needed.

It seems so easy to slip down to 12th in a matter of games yet harder to climb to 2nd even when winning. It is an unforgiving league.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I was unable to watch today.  Thrilled we won.  Happy to hear positive reports about our performance and apparently “taking the match to the opposition.”   

From those who could see, what was the change?   Did Bruce change something in the setup?  The approach?   Did the players move better?  Keep better possession?  Was it just QPR wasn’t very good?  

A very similar performance to the Preston game for me. We pressed really well and counter attacked in numbers. Hourihane got forward well to help support but Onomah was something else today. Worked his socks off and picked the right option every time he had the ball. We should have won by much more. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the main change was the team pressed from the front and forced QPR in to errors or losing the ball.  There was a hunger and desire that is too often missing.  We played perfect counter attacking football with Davis holding the ball up superbly.  He really bullied the back two and they couldn't handle him.

So I would say the main change was the players wanted it more than QPR and believed they were better than QPR (which they were).  

I want to sit next to someone sensible like you.

just joking, they are sensible near me.:)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So I would say the main change was the players wanted it more than QPR and believed they were better than QPR

I think this is very important and it’s a belief we need to grow. At the moment we only seem to perform well against the lower/average teams. Against those teams near the top of the division we don’t have that belief and the performances are generally poor. This is something that must change, or our chances of promotion are slim. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sne said:

Same here, working so couldn't catch the game.

Impressive result considering the injuries and all.

Well done!

I missed the opening 30 minutes but the rest of the game i thought we were the better team by far abd the result flattered qpr - we deserved to win by far more .

We need to win these 2 home games and keep up the pressure - sheff utd have now lost one of their best players with a broken leg so lets see how they get on with injuries .

All to play for with 29 games  to go .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

If I could ask Steven Bruce one question, it would be this...

Everyone knows being a football manager is tough. You carry the hopes, dreams and expectations of many thousands of people on your back every day you're in the job. 

This weight then, must feel unbearable on the occasions when the players are not responding to your ideas and you're in a bad run of form.

So... thinking back on your career, can you recall any specific examples of what you did to change things to improve results, or more often than not, did you just stick to your first principles knowing things would work themselves out given time?

For the record, I'm not suggesting there is a straightforward, binary, right or wrong answer to the question - the truth probaby lies somewhere between the two (with quite a big dollop of luck also thrown in for good measure) - but, I do think how he responded would be interesting. 

More of one element than the other, would potentially offer some clues to his 'dinosaur or not' status.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Alan Nixon reporting Bruce is Beckham's number 1 target for the new Miami MLS franchise. 

Not sure how I would feel about this. It would probably depend on who would replace him.

I think it's unlikely that a new man a third way through the season will have a better chance to get us promoted. 

On the other hand could it be a chance to bring in a manger with a long term plan and philosophy of football. (I'm thinking Dean Smith).

Eithet way I doubt he is going on anyway until the summer.

Not sure but I think the Miami MLS team is not scheduled to join until 2020 so even if Beckham want Bruce in place before that it wont be this year or probably even after next summer. Their stadium isn't even built yet I think.

Bruce would be mad not to jump on this opportunity thou should it be true.

New franchise with little pressure,  probably an OK salary, Miami a perfect place to live and for a last job, retirement.

Soak up the sun and hang with the Beckhams.

And for an extra bonus I'm pretty sure in the US Bruce would count as a size 0 and be almost a supermodel beefcake compared to the rest of manatees floating around in Florida.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Alan Nixon reporting Bruce is Beckham's number 1 target for the new Miami MLS franchise. 

I don't think he has the Miami Beach look :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I think wolves have done well this season. They played rings around us.  They won today.  Back line of 3. Two of those three and the keeper are all in their first season at wolves I believe.  Couldn’t be bothered to look upfield where we all know the center of their team is new.  Tell me again how it takes months for a championship player to learn a system of play.  It only takes one example to prove it does not.  I just gave you half a dozen.  

If you read what I wrote, you will see i put "It can and it does", what I didn't say "It can and does every single time a manager brings in a new formation."

Of all those players you have mentioned, how many of them have played a similar system, or the same at another club? How many of the Wolves players have the smarts to go along with their ability? It only takes a couple of key players to not be as smart as you want them to be, then it can take the whole team and system longer to get it right. 

You are always going to get teams that will click more quickly, and others that will never click (hence the number of manager changes at the same club). The industry standard is around 2-3 months that is why clubs hope to get manager early as they can preseason and long with new players. It's why a lot of managers don't like the January window, as they can lose key players and disrupt teams for quite a while before they get it right. Teams can also try to bring in better players, but disrupts a settled team (like Bruce did this last year).

1 hour ago, villianusa said:

If you read what I wrote, you will see i put "It can and it does", what I didn't say "It can and does every single time a manager brings in a new formation."

Of all those players you have mentioned, how many of them have played a similar system, or the same at another club? How many of the Wolves players have the smarts to go along with their ability? It only takes a couple of key players to not be as smart as you want them to be, then it can take the whole team and system longer to get it right. 

You are always going to get teams that will click more quickly, and others that will never click (hence the number of manager changes at the same club). The industry standard is around 2-3 months that is why clubs hope to get manager early as they can preseason and long with new players. It's why a lot of managers don't like the January window, as they can lose key players and disrupt teams for quite a while before they get it right. Teams can also try to bring in better players, but disrupts a settled team (like Bruce did this last year).

I wish you had been that thoughtful in your previous post.   Of course some players take longer and some less.  IMO a good manager figures out a way to motivate, simplify, adapt, teach, etc.  to make it take less.  For that reason, players not settling for months might be an excuse, but it’s also an indictment of the manager.  

Interesting points made over the last couple of pages about time and getting teams to blend.

I must admit that for me personally I no longer care if he has taken too long !

It was only an issue for me when results weren’t stacking up......now we clearly have a decent team and team spirit and are getting results for the most part so whether he’s taken too long or not hopefully it’s now immaterial.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2017 at 17:59, Lerner's Driver said:

Well done Steven, keeping the haters at bay for a little bit longer :D

cue the most childish response in this thread.

You are not posting with reason, only for effect.

shame on you

5 hours ago, terrytini said:

Interesting points made over the last couple of pages about time and getting teams to blend.

I must admit that for me personally I no longer care if he has taken too long !

It was only an issue for me when results weren’t stacking up......now we clearly have a decent team and team spirit and are getting results for the most part so whether he’s taken too long or not hopefully it’s now immaterial.

I actually agree with this. We’re winning. However, when posts seem to say that our manager is wonderful, I feel compelled to counter.  I’m happy as a lark we’re winning. I just don’t feel confident enough to “put my weight down” on it.  

Edited by srsmithusa
Grammar
  • Like 2

Â