Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Haha brilliant.

How would you feel if the Nazi's had won the 'Battle of Britain' and America never entered the war?

Or, more aptly, what if Steve Bruce hadn't scored two goals in injury time in 1993 to turn the tide in the title race?

I could go on......

If's, but's and maybe's.

Fact is we won, we won a tough game comfortably (in reality) away from home and are doing okay in the league.

And yet, still going round and round on Bruce remaining as Manager.

So you never reflect on the decisions you have made in order to improve? No reason to change anything, because it went well? I do and I expect Bruce to do the same. Just because you are satisfied with the way we are playing doesnt mean that i have to be. Im not satisfied and I expect more, a lot more than what I have seen so far.

35 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

So you never reflect on the decisions you have made in order to improve? No reason to change anything, because it went well? I do and I expect Bruce to do the same. Just because you are satisfied with the way we are playing doesnt mean that i have to be. Im not satisfied and I expect more, a lot more than what I have seen so far.

You don't reflect on your decisions based on hypothetical scenarios though do you?

If you're expecting much more than what we gave on Saturday then you're going to be in for a miserable season. I thought we did pretty much everything right and on another day could have had 4 or 5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taxahunter said:

Would you feel he had made the right substitutions if QPR had equalised, looking at the way we had been playing up until he made the changes?

irrespective of subs, had QPR taken anything from that game it would have been daylight robbery. he kept the lineup attacking until he realised that the 3rd goal just wasn't going in, then its a case of securing the 3 points

4 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

You don't reflect on your decisions based on hypothetical scenarios though do you?

If you're expecting much more than what we gave on Saturday then you're going to be in for a miserable season. I thought we did pretty much everything right and on another day could have had 4 or 5.

playing devils advocate, i do believe that we could do with looking at the finishing, particularly 2nd half (first half their keeper kept them in it). it should, not could, have been 4 or 5 and stranger things have happened than QPR equalising. overall that was the best performance of the Bruce regime but i do agree with a small part of @Taxahunter 's logic around looking to improve. but 100% agree that i doubt we'll see better than saturday...had we played like that vs wolves or cardiff i sincerely think we would have got a result.

12 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

No, I reflect on what i see. If you read my initial post, after the game, again, you would see that i gave credit to Steve Bruce for the win and that i was happy for the 3 points, I even mentioned that it was the best i have seen so far this season, I just didnt agree on his choices when he started to make changes

19 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

playing devils advocate, i do believe that we could do with looking at the finishing, particularly 2nd half (first half their keeper kept them in it). it should, not could, have been 4 or 5 and stranger things have happened than QPR equalising. overall that was the best performance of the Bruce regime but i do agree with a small part of @Taxahunter 's logic around looking to improve. but 100% agree that i doubt we'll see better than saturday...had we played like that vs wolves or cardiff i sincerely think we would have got a result.

EDIT: Ignore, I've been sucked into the Rabbit hole again. Can't be arsed.

See you lot again in a few months. x

Edited by sexbelowsound

2 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

Would you feel he had made the right substitutions if QPR had equalised, looking at the way we had been playing up until he made the changes?

Would you feel he had made the wrong substitutions if we had scored another goal?

I have no idea what your point is here.

• Like 2

Also, on "hoof-ball", "Bruce-ball", whatever people are calling it these days...

...we play, on average, the 21st most long balls per game.  Only Norwich, Fulham and Derby play fewer. 

(For completeness, 13th in terms of short passes, 5th in terms of crosses and 4th in terms of through balls).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Also, on "hoof-ball", "Bruce-ball", whatever people are calling it these days...

...we play, on average, the 21st most long balls per game.  Only Norwich, Fulham and Derby play fewer. 

(For completeness, 13th in terms of short passes, 5th in terms of crosses and 4th in terms of through balls).

Don't let facts get in the way of the 'truth' though Bobzy.

That's simply not allowed round here, in some quarters at least.

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

OK that's fine. You're entitled to take things at face value, whilst I am entitled to speculate based on past experiences. I will refer you to my earlier question - do you believe it is the case that we had to sell Nathan Baker in order to keep our head above water? 

I don't think that was the case. I do not believe that had we not sold Nathan Baker we would be facing FFP penalties. Following last summer I DO understand their caution, I was careful to point that out, it doesn't stop me being disappointed with the decision. I am also not asking them to go mental and spend the budget of a small independent state once again.

As for Bruce 'going on about it', this is football now. It's like white noise to me and I barely pay attention to it until it is bought up in conversations like this. For all we know it a club lead PR maneuver for Bruce to reiterate that the cupboard is bare, or perhaps his tickling will nudge them towards signing that one player that tips us over the edge? Either way I've no issue with him playing the game, this is how it has always been and always will be. I am confident it will have no adverse effect to on pitch performances. 

I didn’t answer the question re Baker for two reasons, one because we are straying well off topic and I was trying to keep it related to Bruce and second because I don’t really get the relevance specifically of Baker he wasn’t even the last player to go in the summer. I kind of assume it’s because you seemingly wanted them to bring in another CB.

But to answer the question re Baker, no I don’t think we would have been facing penalties had we not sold him. But so do think it’s unlikely that we would have continued to add players to the squad had we not done so or had the others not left after him.

We signed Onomah and Snodgrass after Baker, Cisshoko and Bacuna departed. I think it’s fair to assume the costs of the loans was in no small part offset by the fees and wages saved on those three and Baker.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Bruce certainly spent the money better than di matteo did

What a load of cobblers. Who bought Chester, Kodjia and Jedinak? We'd probably be in league one by now if it weren't from them. It's taken Bruce more than 6 months to get anything worthwhile from Hourihane, whereas Hogan, Lansbury and Thor still haven't done jack shit.

PS. forgot Adomah, who also was a RDM signing, and where would we be without his goals this season I wonder!? 

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Suprised by that stat. I wonder what classes as a long ball and a short pass? Maybe a dink up to Davies to hold the ball up is something in between. We'd be top of that. 

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

What a load of cobblers. Who bought Chester, Kodjia and Jedinak? We'd probably be in league one by now if it weren't from them. It's taken Bruce more than 6 months to get anything worthwhile from Hourihane, whereas Hogan, Lansbury and Thor still haven't done jack shit.

PS. forgot Adomah, who also was a RDM signing, and where would we be without his goals this season I wonder!? 

Nice bit of manipulation of facts there.

How about Terry, Taylor and Johnstone? Guess those three don't count eh?

Also the development of Davis but again, as that would involve praising SB I guess we'll just skim over that too eh?

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Nice bit of manipulation of facts there.

Lol. So just because I'm not singing the praises and joining in on yet another instance of the "Steve Bruce wankfest", which will only end up in disappointment in a few weeks time... Then I must be manipulating facts. Sure thing bro :rolleyes:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Lol. So just because I'm not singing the praises and joining in on yet another instance of the "Steve Bruce wankfest", which will only end up in disappointment in a few weeks time... Then I must be manipulating facts. Sure thing bro :rolleyes:

Where the F have you been for the past 6 months cos it sure as shit hasn't been in here?

• Like 1

Â