Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I ask myself

Why have the truth stare you in the face then dismiss it?

Surely thats living in denial or plain delusional?

Okay, okay, enough about your private time chats with yourself, we know you are man of great character and unshakeable conviction. 

All that stuff goes without saying, (though we are thrilled to have access to your mental reasoning, of course), more to the point, what do you think of Steve Bruce?

Do you rate him?

27 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Okay, okay, enough about your private time chats with yourself, we know you are man of great character and unshakeable conviction. 

All that stuff goes without saying, (though we are thrilled to have access to your mental reasoning, of course), more to the point, what do you think of Steve Bruce?

Do you rate him?

You ask, I‘ll reply.

Like I‘ve said many times.

1 - I thought it was a good/logical/acceptable appointment at the time.

2 - he started well and put points on the board

3 - The leeds games last season made me question for the first time if this type of football would get us promoted - I had my doubts.

4 - by the Cardiff game I‘d seen enough to realise that Bruce-ball Hoofball Dyno-ball (or whatever you want to call it) was not going to be consistant enough to get the results required for top 6.

5 - every game after that reinforced my view. Even the good run looked like the wheels would come off before the finishing line - and so they did.

6 - I would have sacked him latest v Brentfod, but the board kept him and gave him what many on here thought to be what he needed. More players in and out and a preseason.

7 - Then pressers he gave from preseason onwards, critising fans and every one else but himself was simply „Word removed“ behavior (imho)

8 - for Bruce-ball to work, we need many factors to „go our way“ and avoid any sort of slip-ups. What happened? We play catch-up because of the bad start. When players/formations finally work and look convincing, he reverts back to defensive mode.

9 - we have a capable squad, we have the players to play a more effective style of play, but Bruce is too concerned with „not losing“ to let the players performances speak for him, instead, he speaks for the players.

It‘s not good enough and it hasnt worked up till now and there is NO reason other than hope and faith to believe things will change for the better and we can either

1 - claim 2nd (1st if Wolves f*** up)

2 - make the playoffs with an intent to win and not the intent to not lose

Now, Bruce may be a great bloke, a good laugh and a nice friendly ammicable guy. BUT! That is not his job. His job is to get us promoted, if that means he‘s a word removed, so be it, he‘ll be our word removed.

So far he has not held his hand up and said „we are where we are because of me“ It‘s either hysterics, or the players.

I don‘t know him personally so I can and wont judge him on a personal level.

I think he‘s not up to the job and therefore I want him out.

I think he‘s a word removed for blaming everyone but himself.

I also think that the self preservation mode just to keep himself in the job he‘s not „big“ enough for is very selfish behavior. For this I think he is also being a word removed wasting the clubs time & money.

* I‘ve left out the long list of

Mismanaging McC

Gaby umpteenth chance

Buying players to play them out of position.

and many more too many to list.

Have I answered your question?

........ It’s also irrelevant what anyone “thinks” of him.

He either does a good job (gets us promoted) or a bad one (fails)

There is no reason or time for sentimate here. It‘s promotion or bust.

27 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

DrT, Wyness, Round, Bruce, the players and fans have to look at reality square on in the face.

I‘m aware of that. are you?

Thanks for the update.

What if our realities are different? Is that okay, or are you saying there's only one way of looking at things? I'm genuinely interested.

4 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Hey lads, in advance of our match with QPR today it occurred to me that our manager is a bit of a tactical dinosaur. Have any of you seen this article written in 2011 by Louise Taylor from the Guardian? 

I think it may have been posted before, but it really says everything we already know about Steven and his old fashioned Bruce Ball. Have another read to remind yourself how right you are about him. Personally, I can't get enough of being right. 

Steve Bruce was a manager who refused to move with the times

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked?CMP=share_btn_link

Posts something. Uses it to mock others who may have posted it in the past. Sarcastically, keeps asking for it to be posted. 

Wow. Pushing boundaries man. Keep up the good work. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Posts something. Uses it to mock others who may have posted it in the past. Sarcastically, keeps asking for it to be posted. 

Wow. Pushing boundaries man. Keep up the good work. 

Have you noticed the people posting the same thing endlessly too? It must be catching on.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I've never read this before. Everything that went wrong at Sunderland is happening again at Villa! Both clubs are too big for him.

Mmmm...

Managers who have failed at Sunderland since Steve Bruce failed there:

Eric Black

Martin o’Neill

Paolo di Canio

Gus Poyet

Dick Advocaat

Sam Allardyce

David Moyes

Simon Grayson

Just wondering if it’s the club not the manager that is the problem in this story.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Mmmm...

Managers who have failed at Sunderland since Steve Bruce failed there:

Eric Black

Martin o’Neill

Paolo di Canio

Gus Poyet

Dick Advocaat

Sam Allardyce

David Moyes

Simon Grayson

Just wondering if it’s the club not the manager that is the problem in this story.

You could argue that they all succeeded until Moyes! 

Anyway im just saying reading that article you could see a lot of similarities of the reasons a lot of fans are not happy with Bruce.

You could also say that Sunderland has been the worst run Premier League club in recent history. Maybe just edging above Villa.

15 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Have you noticed the people posting the same thing endlessly too? It must be catching on.

At least they do it to put forward their opinion on a forum intended for people to share their opinion. Not some very weak attempt to take the piss out of people you disagree with. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

At least they do it to put forward their opinion on a forum intended for people to share their opinion. Not some very weak attempt to take the piss out of people you disagree with. 

I genuinely hadn't read It before so was grateful for the link. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

At least they do it to put forward their opinion on a forum intended for people to share there opinion. Not some very weak attempt to take the piss out of people you disagree with. 

At least there's that, eh. I was also expressing an opinion, btw. You just didn't like the way I did it. Sound familiar?

2 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

At least there's that, eh. I was also expressing an opinion, btw. You just didn't like the way I did it. Sound familiar?

Well ones an opinion on Steve Bruce in the Steve Bruce thread and the others attempting to mock people. Doesn't sound familiar at all. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Thanks for the update.

What if our realities are different?  

That may well be

Is that okay, or are you saying there's only one way of looking at things?  

that‘s the thing. It‘s a forum for every one. One states their opinion, some state the reasoning behind that opinion

I'm genuinely interested.

Does you interest really involve, reading, trying to understand/dismiss the grounds for opinion and respecting that someone may see things different to you.

I have my beliefs and I state why (with my personal logic) I do so.

You have replied to many of my posts with ridicule or such like.

I may be mistaken, but I can‘t think of a post of yours where you have actually stated a reason WHY your opinion is xy or z.

You go on about but what if, so forth and so ons without giving a reasoning behind an opinion.

Do you observe what is happening during games? Do you put 2 and 2 together to come up what has happened and what those histories suggest will happen right in the now/future?

I do, and that is what I base my opinions on. It‘s not fitting to hear the condescension as it all unravels and we are still playing catch-up.

But you have every right to an opinion and reasoning for it.

It would be of interest to hear your logic. I‘m perfectly willing to watch the logic unfold itself on the pitch as I am willing to listen/read the logic behind that support here on VT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You could argue that they all succeeded until Moyes! 

Anyway im just saying reading that article you could see a lot of similarities of the reasons a lot of fans are not happy with Bruce.

You could also say that Sunderland has been the worst run Premier League club in recent history. Maybe just edging above Villa.

I’d love to see the “argument” that Madmano di Canio succeeded!

Aside from the first 25 minutes (at which point I was berating the manager and expecting a defeat) it was another away win, and another improved performance too.

We may not yet be the finished article we'd all like, but it's hard to deny we're making progress.

More like today please Steve.

tenor.gif

• Like 3

Â