Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We were really poor on Saturday. Wrong setup for me.

I know he would have got slaughtered for it on here because everybody wants us to attack everyone for some reason, but I said before the game we should be loading the midfield for this one. We should have dropped an extra man in midfield and gone with Kodjia on his own up front.

With Wolves' possession game they were always going to pass it through us, and with a two man central midfield we didn't have much hope of stopping them.

Not to take anything away from our performance, which was definitely poor, but Wolves did look a very good side. The best side I've seen us play this season by an absolute mile.

I agree we should have had a extra man there but could you imagine if davis was dropped and we lost? Bruce would have got slaughtered

• Like 2

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I agree we should have had a extra man there but could you imagine if davis was dropped and we lost? Bruce would have got slaughtered

Bruce would have got slaughtered regardless.

I'd rather he got slaughtered for doing something that would help us perform better.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TRO said:

I think he needs courage in dropping a few prima donnas, who are not putting in a shift.

If they are not doing it and he continues to select them....he is condoning it.

Who exactly are these primadonnas?

48 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Unfortunately you are quite right here, a change won't happen and so there is no point continually discussing it.

We've had a run of 4 games in which we have won yet people in this thread are still on the managers back, not prepared to believe that he has found a winning formula. As soon as we lose a game the knives are sharpened and back out for him.

He got it wrong Saturday, the players didn't turn up and we were beaten by a better team who have spent a lot of money. On to the next one at home next weekend where we can take 3 points against a weak Fulham side

In fairness I think the 4 game winning run/8 unbeaten failed to convince a lot of people so the reaction to a defeat was expected for me.

I think you are spot on that barring a really poor run, say 5 games without a win, I don't see Steve Bruce being sacked. There is certainly no chance he is going to be sacked at the moment with us over the last 6 games averaging over 2 points a game and sitting a point outside the play offs and a handful from automatic.

I am pretty much on the fence as far as Bruce is concerned. I am not totally convinced he is the man to get us promoted but overall, that is looking at his CV prior to joining us, what he is done here over the last year, our recent form, the squad he has assembled, then there is enough with in all that for me to think we should stick with him. That is also influenced by the fact this club desperately needs some stability and whilst you can't have stability just for the sake of it and back a manager clearly failing, I think Bruce has done enough to suggest we aren't too far away under him from achieving our immediate goal and that weighing things up the greater risk would be to sack him hoping someone else could get more out of his squad.

Saturday was a huge disappointment. Whilst you have to acknowledge Wolves are a very good side too many of our players didn't show up and when that happens the finger has to be pointed at the manager. 

I am now looking for a quick response and for us to get a result and hopefully a good performance against Fulham. Overall this league isn't that good. Wolves are an exception and I think Cardiffs result and performance on Friday showed that there isn't really a lot between those at the top and those at the bottom. The key is to be consistent and keep grinding out results and I think whilst Bruce won't build a team to play the possession based attractive football Wolves played he has shown he is capable of putting a team out that can grind out results and we have started to witness that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

One thing i wouldnt say about our squad, dont think we carrying any except Lansbury

Agree. I think if anyone has been a premadonna at any point recently it was Bruce when fans were starting to question him a few weeks ago and he was calling it hysteria and unrealistic to expect us to be any better.... to which I would argue Wolves have shown not the case in regards more immediate success.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Bruce would have got slaughtered regardless.

I'd rather he got slaughtered for doing something that would help us perform better.

I agree with both yours and Dem's post.

If he'd have gone 1 up top and 5 in the middle then he'd have been slated for giving them too much respect and the mighty Aston Villa should not be going to Wolves so defensive, same old Bruce defensive first etc. He plays 2 up top and he still gets the same treatment. Wolves looked great in the final third, it was unfortunate we caught them on a very good day. I think they'd have beaten a lot of premier league teams on that performance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I‘m sorry, but I cant hold myself back from asking you, what on earth gives you the confidence to think that we will do the bold?

Because prior to this defeat we just won 4 in a row and were unbeaten in 8. Regardless of the style of our play, or your opinion of the manager, that tells me we seem have found a way to get results.

I'm staggered that after we lost (albeit convincingly) to the team who are now top of the table, people now think we aren't capable of of winning the next couple of games, or at least bouncing back and avoiding defeat. Over-reaction central. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

If he changed it to 4-3-3 and loat he would have got critised for changing it! Why change a winning formula?

Because what works against the weakest teams may not work against the better teams?  Because as he apparently said (haven't seen the remarks myself but others have reported them here) he acknowledged that 442 wasn't suited to playing Wolves?

His comments after the game were dismissive of tactics and formations having anything to do with it. (Here)

Bruce insisted the 2-0 defeat was because Villa did not do enough to keep the ball or hurt Wolves, rather than because of their tactical approach to the game. ..

“You can go at formations and systems and everything but I didn’t think we did enough. It’s as simple as that. "

So just down to the players then, nothing to do with him.  Right. 

It's been remarked several times that he doesn't try to apply tactics or change formations to suit a particular match. 

If he had changed the system, could explain why, if we had put up a decent performance and lost, I think most people would accept that.  The feeling persists that he sticks to a formation on the same basis that some people prefer to wear a lucky pair of underpants, while other managers seek to plan, adapt, and anticipate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Because prior to this defeat we just won 4 in a row and were unbeaten in 8. Regardless of the style of our play, or your opinion of the manager, that tells me we seem have found a way to get results.

I'm staggered that after we lost (albeit convincingly) to the team who are now top of the table, people now think we aren't capable of of winning the next couple of games, or at least bouncing back and avoiding defeat. Over-reaction central. 

I agree, losses are inevitable, its about how you react that defines your season.

Of laast years promoted teams Newcastle lost 9, Brighton, 10 and Huddersfield 15. Bouncing back is the key.

41 minutes ago, honest_bertie said:

Agree. I think if anyone has been a premadonna at any point recently it was Bruce when fans were starting to question him a few weeks ago and he was calling it hysteria and unrealistic to expect us to be any better.... to which I would argue Wolves have shown not the case in regards more immediate success.

PRE-MADONNA.bmp

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree, losses are inevitable, its about how you react that defines your season.

Of laast years promoted teams Newcastle lost 9, Brighton, 10 and Huddersfield 15. Bouncing back is the key.

AHAAAAAAA!

bouncing-alan-partridge-series-prop_360_

CAN'T. PASS. BRUCETRIDGE.

Edited by fightoffyour

I was playing golf all weekend but I’m glad I missed the game. Going by the highlights we had one chance when Snodgrass hit the bar. Apart from that moment the other 4.30 mins of highlights were of us 18 yards away from our goal. 

Very dissappointing 

38 minutes ago, peterms said:

Because what works against the weakest teams may not work against the better teams?  Because as he apparently said (haven't seen the remarks myself but others have reported them here) he acknowledged that 442 wasn't suited to playing Wolves?

His comments after the game were dismissive of tactics and formations having anything to do with it. (Here)

It's been remarked several times that he doesn't try to apply tactics or change formations to suit a particular match. 

If he had changed the system, could explain why, if we had put up a decent performance and lost, I think most people would accept that.  The feeling persists that he sticks to a formation on the same basis that some people prefer to wear a lucky pair of underpants, while other managers seek to plan, adapt, and anticipate.

Yes that is what managers are paid big bucks for. To go into the match with just the two in midfield was naïve. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

The manager should be brave enough to pick the team he feels will get the best result, not be scared about fan reactions. 

Unfortunately I don't think Bruce knows how to approach individual games with different plans. This was working against inferior opposition so just stick with it.

Never going to be enough to take us up IMO

11 hours ago, TRO said:

Well....i am not going to choose this game to defend him, but lets avoid bandwagons.

• you would be a brave man to change 4-4-2 after 4 wins on the bounce, lets be fair here guys.
  • Systems do not make up for lack of desire or urgency.
  • Keinan Davis despite winning the latest opinion polls, was ineffective.
  • Kodjia the other forward to attract attention was absent.

Players have more than one job to do, but when they fail to do any, I am not sure if any of us can complain, when a player gets the hook.

We had half a team, that could easily of been replaced if the rules allowed it.

may i remind everyone at B6 our motto is.......PREPARED......we was anything but.

Did we lack desire or did they way we were set up mean we would always be chasing the game, over run in midfield, meaning very little possesion, meaning our over run midifeld chasing shadows......

Why didnt he change it sooner when it was obvious what was happening, again and again in games he doesnt react.

As some one said on saturday if Bruce was the manager of that Wolves team would they have given the same performance?

42 minutes ago, peterms said:

Steve Bruce not taking responsibility and throwing his players under the bus?

There's a shocker.

10 hours ago, TRO said:

Our problem is we have no identity.

Like Cowell says to his contestants, you don't know who you are.

We are neither one thing nor the other.

• not tough
  • not technical
  • not driven by pace
  • Not strong in the air
  • lack youthful exuberance
  • lack belief
  • easily negated individually

We have been able to secure some wins, but not convincingly.

A agree with all of that, now if you genuinely believe after 12 months in charge and signing 14 players that those issue cannot be laid fairly and squarely at the managers door then I am not sure where you think the blame lies.

• Like 2

Â