Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

but the point is its a newly promoted team can do it yet our expensively assembled side barely had a shot against them

If wolves played like they did yesterday they would have battered Sheffield united. It happens sometimes the better sides lose to the weaker ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Shame it didn’t happen yesterday. 

Yeah but we didn't play well either, I think we didn't perform as well as the last few games. Players looked abit scared and not interested in the game. 

Espically the midfielders. They were diabolical. 

Got to get rid of this pretender.

Says before the match that 4-4-2 doesnt work against woles, so what does he do? Yep, plays 4-4-2...

At half time every man and his dog could see it wasnt working, but does he do anything? Hell no...

Then he waits until the game is safely beyond us before trying to change it??

And what fantastic changes...

Take off the only man capable of holding up the ball and bring on a player who only runs and is so far out of form its comical.

Replace our most creative player on the wing with a central midfielder when we are crying out for creativity???

Then the last change and the only one that actually made sense, replacing kodjia who was woeful with ohare who was great when he came on and changed to 5 in midfield! Too little too late you muppet!!!

My personal disappointment in regards to the Wolves game is..... what I feared would take place .....did.

This is not a claim of i told you so.....its a fear that this team despite the welcome run of results, is not right.

I think, some players have arrived at the place where i think they think, they are undroppable.

We often talk about ability, but baulk at desire, taking it as a mundane attribute as it is expected.....it should be, but its not.

(Unless i am unaware of things of significance that i am not privvy too) if you can't motivate yourself for a game like Wolves, we are in trouble.

I am choosing to go for collective blame, manager, coaches, players.....they need to get their act together.....just one point, ball retention and control is amateur.

Sort it out.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Says before the match that 4-4-2 doesnt work against woles, so what does he do? Yep, plays 4-4-2...

At half time every man and his dog could see it wasnt working, but does he do anything? Hell no...

Take off the only man capable of holding up the ball and bring on a player who only runs and is so far out of form its comical.

Replace our most creative player on the wing with a central midfielder when we are crying out for creativity???

Then the last change and the only one that actually made sense, replacing kodjia who was woeful with ohare who was great when he came on and changed to 5 in midfield! Too little too late you muppet!!!

Well....i am not going to choose this game to defend him, but lets avoid bandwagons.

• you would be a brave man to change 4-4-2 after 4 wins on the bounce, lets be fair here guys.
  • Systems do not make up for lack of desire or urgency.
  • Keinan Davis despite winning the latest opinion polls, was ineffective.
  • Kodjia the other forward to attract attention was absent.

Players have more than one job to do, but when they fail to do any, I am not sure if any of us can complain, when a player gets the hook.

We had half a team, that could easily of been replaced if the rules allowed it.

may i remind everyone at B6 our motto is.......PREPARED......we was anything but.

the problem with Bruce and it has been said before its that he has no courage in games and rarely makes subs that will influence games in an attacking manner. This is one of reasons that I think he is failing here 

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

the problem with Bruce and it has been said before its that he has no courage in games and rarely makes subs that will influence games in an attacking manner. This is one of reasons that I think he is failing here 

IMO he doesn’t lack courage. He just genuinely believes his way works. And of course in his many seasons of management it has sometimes worked ( also in many others it hasn’t).

I struggle to think of any Managers, past or present, who change their overall approach......part of management especially in football is ego.....they have to have it.......and it means that they all usually try to impose their “way” on every group. Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails, most times it’s between the two.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think he needs courage in dropping a few prima donnas, who are not putting in a shift.

If they are not doing it and he continues to select them....he is condoning it.

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

rarely makes subs that will influence games in an attacking manner. 

His subs have been terrible since he arrived. He doesn't make the right ones, doesn't spot when a change is needed and doesn't know when to change formations. He's as clueless at substitutions as he is at tactics. 

Our problem is we have no identity.

Like Cowell says to his contestants, you don't know who you are.

We are neither one thing nor the other.

• not tough
  • not technical
  • not driven by pace
  • Not strong in the air
  • lack youthful exuberance
  • lack belief
  • easily negated individually

We have been able to secure some wins, but not convincingly.

6 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

Yesterday was a difficult one for Bruce. Had he changed the team to counter Wolves style, if we lost people would have said he bottled it and didn’t take the game to them. If he stuck with the same team and style that has served us well in last 5-6 weeks, as he did, then defeat would lead to him being accused of being one-dimensional and not understanding the opposition.

As it is, it was not pretty viewing, and we could have lost by more. We are not an entertaining team, but while we remain close to the playoffs and automatic promotion places, we will stick with Bruce. I see no reason to change manager now.

Lets be realistic, with Bruce in charge this is not a long term project, we have spent a lot of money on players to get us promoted, we havnt bought a team of young players with high sell on values. If we don’t go up this year, Bruce will be gone.

Contrasting Villa with Wolves at this stage is justified, but I think we need to have perspective as Wolves could quite easily go on a bad run in a few weeks and lose ground. Even the best teams have bad runs and lose games back-to-back. We had a bad run at the start of the season, and seemed to have turn the corner, so hopefully we can bounce back.

Our club has been a mess and rotten at the core for a few years now, bereft of spirit and confidence. This is something previous managers have not dealt with. Regardless of our playing style, I believe Bruce is addressing the confidence issue and building a team unit.

Wolves have had numerous ups and downs, and failed promotion campaigns over the years, and fair play, they seem to have hit the jackpot this year, but it’s still very very early. Who’s to say their young international players won’t tire or suffer a drop in form when the winter sets in.

4 points from the next 2 games and we will still be right in it. Ideally 7 from the next 3 games.

I think we need to accept that as long as we are in contention, Bruce is our manager for this season.

I‘m sorry, but I cant hold myself back from asking you, what on earth gives you the confidence to think that we will do the bold?

After

40+ games

2 windows

a preseason

Then the Testing game against Wolves in which he failed both disturbingly and predictably.

Any support for Bruce simply doesnt have a leg to stand on.

Beyond a joke

Brout

5 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

After

40+ games

2 windows

a preseason

Then the Testing game against Wolves in which he failed both disturbingly and predictably.

Beyond a joke

Brout

Villa falling apart at the seams? Another win only papers over the cracks?

Quick Tony, pop down Homebase and get us some Grout.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Well....i am not going to choose this game to defend him, but lets avoid bandwagons.

• you would be a brave man to change 4-4-2 after 4 wins on the bounce, lets be fair here guys.
  • Systems do not make up for lack of desire or urgency.
  • Keinan Davis despite winning the latest opinion polls, was ineffective.
  • Kodjia the other forward to attract attention was absent.

Players have more than one job to do, but when they fail to do any, I am not sure if any of us can complain, when a player gets the hook.

We had half a team, that could easily of been replaced if the rules allowed it.

may i remind everyone at B6 our motto is.......PREPARED......we was anything but.

And whose job is it to ensure the team are prepared on matchday?

There is no bandwagon here. Ive never supported SB and never will. He is a dreadful manager and does not represent how modern football is or should be played and he certainly does not represent what i want for avfc.

I will continue to point out his failings, win lose or draw, until such time as those who have the power take positive action and move to implement this fabled'villa culture' they insist is being worked on but never seems to materialise.

Edited by flashingqwerty
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

After

40+ games

2 windows

a preseason

Beyond a joke

Brout

Don't be silly Grasshopper, this is a hysterical over reaction to a single loss. Steve Bruce is the man to save us. Did you not notice the fantastic run of form we are on??? we have battered the weaker teams of this league over the last month, battered.

It's a blip I tells you, a blip. Despite Steve Bruce's teams putting in this type of lacklustre defense oriented performance for 20+ years, the last four wins against lowly opposition prove, PROVE that his footballing philosophy has suddenly changed, and we will now be propelled up the league, not only to gain automatic promotion, but we will be promoted Early and will actually play the second half of the season in the premier league as a reward for the aulwesome performances that are coming.

Sorry, I was believing the hype for a moment there.

Steve Bruce to save us? The only thing Bruce is going to save us from is receiving kicking after kicking in the prem next season and coming straight back down with an even lower points total than last time. He will achieve this by keeping us safely in the Championship.

Anyone thinking Bruce will get us promoted is deluding themselves.a change is needed, sadly it won't happen.

Edited by TheStagMan

31 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Anyone thinking Bruce will get us promoted is deluding themselves.a change is needed, sadly it won't happen.

Unfortunately you are quite right here, a change won't happen and so there is no point continually discussing it.

We've had a run of 4 games in which we have won yet people in this thread are still on the managers back, not prepared to believe that he has found a winning formula. As soon as we lose a game the knives are sharpened and back out for him.

He got it wrong Saturday, the players didn't turn up and we were beaten by a better team who have spent a lot of money. On to the next one at home next weekend where we can take 3 points against a weak Fulham side

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

If he changed it to 4-3-3 and loat he would have got critised for changing it! Why change a winning formula?

My critism is hoq we approached it too cautious ams not having a go. I think at half time he should have changed it.  Wolves are a very good side at home. We defended well mostly it was the midfield which cost us mot getting forward amd creating enough for our forwards

Also kodjia deciding to have a stinker in this massive game

Edited by Demitri_C

We were really poor on Saturday. Wrong setup for me.

I know he would have got slaughtered for it on here because everybody wants us to attack everyone for some reason, but I said before the game we should be loading the midfield for this one. We should have dropped an extra man in midfield and gone with Kodjia on his own up front.

With Wolves' possession game they were always going to pass it through us, and with a two man central midfield we didn't have much hope of stopping them.

Not to take anything away from our performance, which was definitely poor, but Wolves did look a very good side. The best side I've seen us play this season by an absolute mile.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TRO said:

This is not a claim of i told you so.....its a fear that this team despite the welcome run of results, is not right.

Give it a rest mate. "This team" is just fine, it's the manager that needs replacing, and you know it.

Â