Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Any manager could get performances out of Neves and Jota. They are different calibre to anything in this league. It's almost like they cheating having those two players! 

It’s what you do when playing against this Calibre of player the issue though! Neves was sat really deep dictating play. If we had started 1 up top and say Callum o’hare buzzing round neves and then trying to break and support kodjia when we attack, do you think neves would’ve been able to play the quarterback role so effectively! I agree, he’s a class act... but you do all you can to at least slow him down and we didn’t, we let him play. Even when it was blindingly obvious what was going on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

It’s what you do when playing against this Calibre of player the issue though! Neves was sat really deep dictating play. If we had started 1 up top and say Callum o’hare buzzing round neves and then trying to break and support kodjia when we attack, do you think neves would’ve been able to play the quarterback role so effectively! I agree, he’s a class act... but you do all you can to at least slow him down and we didn’t, we let him play. Even when it was blindingly obvious what was going on.

Bruce doesnt do Blindingly obvious

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Surprise surprise, after 7 odd games unbeaten and 4 wins on the bounce we inevitably lost a game and the knives are out.

I wonder, did people actually think we would go unbeaten for the rest of the season?

We didn't just lose a game . We got outran, outthought and totally exposed by ,what looked to my eyes, a far superior side .

Trust me ,if I had my way , the knive would be plunged in ,and the sooner the better. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

100% agree and this goes back to an earlier post when I mentioned preparation. Surely the smallest amount of research would tel you these two players would cause damage so had to be dealt with. The fact we approached the game thinking we could let these two players have free reign is shocking. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Surprise surprise, after 7 odd games unbeaten and 4 wins on the bounce we inevitably lost a game and the knives are out.

I wonder, did people actually think we would go unbeaten for the rest of the season?

You know full well the reaction is nothing to do with the result. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Were you aware of Wagner before he took over at Huddersfield, or Nuno at Wolves. Would you have offered either the job?

Wyness and Round are the ones who need to find the next man for the hot seat.

There are managers out there who could, should and would make a better fist of it than Bruce.

such a roll of the dice though. Could you imagine the backlash if we hired another remi garde and it didnt work out? At least a lot of the folks saying bruce out currently probably agreed it was the logical choice in the first place. I'm sure for every wagner or nuno there are plenty of gambles that didnt work out. equally it might just be that those clubs just suit them. ranieri classic example...sometimes it just clicks

i suspect that there is a manager out there that can do a better job than bruce, but i'm bruce in until that's proven!

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

such a roll of the dice though. Could you imagine the backlash if we hired another remi garde and it didnt work out? At least a lot of the folks saying bruce out currently probably agreed it was the logical choice in the first place. I'm sure for every wagner or nuno there are plenty of gambles that didnt work out. equally it might just be that those clubs just suit them. ranieri classic example...sometimes it just clicks

i suspect that there is a manager out there that can do a better job than bruce, but i'm bruce in until that's proven!

Agree. We can't sack Bruce now. The risk is too great. Barring a disastrous run of results in the next month or so he will be here until the end of the season.  We have to accept that. 

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree. We can't sack Bruce now. The risk is too great. Barring a disastrous run of results in the next month or so he will be here until the end of the season.  We have to accept that. 

Unless we fit a terrible run of results in next 2-4 games I dont think he warrants the sack just yet 

13 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Then I'm afraid you're a bruce supporter until he dies.  The quality of the next guy, gal, or robot in the next few months can never be proven.  I don't understand how people can see the risk of replacing Bruce and not see the risk of keeping him.  

We have seen what he can produce over a full year and two windows.  It's not that encouraging really.  The upside potential of the dice roll you fear is just as much a reality as the downside.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Then I'm afraid you're a bruce supporter until he dies.  The quality of the next guy, gal, or robot in the next few months can never be proven.  I don't understand how people can see the risk of replacing Bruce and not see the risk of keeping him.  

We have seen what he can produce over a full year and two windows.  It's not that encouraging really.  The upside potential of the dice roll you fear is just as much a reality as the downside.  

Bold 1000% this

• Like 1

21 hours ago, villarocker said:

Last season we shopped at Barnsley, Brentford, Bristol City, Forest etc. This season, we took a Chelsea retiree, a relegated right-sided player, a utility attacker that was hardly getting a game at West Ham and, a sluggish DM from Stoke. Wolves did their shopping at top teams in Porto, Benfica, Athletico Madrid. You shop in the right places and you get quality!

Years ago we would take players that have been at top team. Now we shop in lower leagues and getting what we (over)pay for.

Where you shop doesn't indicate the quality of the player you purchase.

I imagine Spurs fans don't mind shopping at MK Dons (Alli), Burnley (Tripper (145 apps!)), Leeds (Rose) or Fulham (Dembele). 

It's what you do with them that counts.  And too many times in Villas case, we've bought a player who looks really good, then ask them to completely alter the way they play, compared to the way they played when they looked like good players. 

We should buy players who fit OUR system.  We should stop buying players who look good on paper, but play for teams in different systems.  One of Villas biggest fallacies and one we can never seem to get over.  

The list is too huge to mention really, but you can take players like Hogan, McCormack, Amavi, El Ahemdi, Gueye, Petrov (who to be fair, changed the way he played) and loads of others I can't remember, but have been deemed as "terrible". 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Given our results under Bruce, no one could think we would go unbeaten for the rest of the season.

It was not the losing of the game, which I was expected, it was the manner in which it was lost.

But the next couple of games might give us a clearer picture of our prospects.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

100% agree and this goes back to an earlier post when I mentioned preparation. Surely the smallest amount of research would tel you these two players would cause damage so had to be dealt with. The fact we approached the game thinking we could let these two players have free reign is shocking. 

Bruce said that he had watched some videos. I would have thought that one of the better teams in the division would have warranted a live appraisal.

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Bruce said that he had watched some videos. I would have thought that one of the better teams in the division would have warranted a live appraisal.

Yes.  It's not always easy when fixtures coincide, but we weren't playing on 27 Sept, and he could have nipped up to Sheffield to see a team dominating possession against Wolves and winning the game.  Might have given him some ideas about how to approach the game, beyond "stick with a winning lineup".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Think it's more a case of looking at the likes of wolves and cardiff and realising we're more than a managerial change away from the premier league. i have accepted we're in this league for at least a couple of seasons yet, and if by some miracle we go up this season we'll be coming straight back down.

i think the villa ship is quite steady at the moment. no, we're not as higher as we would like but still we're a point off playoffs and a 4 game winning run was ended by a team that have been building for promotion for a little while now and are ready for the next step. we are not, and this (in my opinion) is not bruce's fault.

sorry to use your words against you, but too many folks see the risk in keeping bruce and not see the risk in replacing him

Â