Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

It's only 6 games, calm down :lol: 

Like you say, this team minus 1 or 2 additions is the same one that finished 13th last year. I very much doubt you would have taken many of your players over ours back then. It just goes to show how much a competent manager can transform a team. 

If I were to make a Leeds/Villa XI of the players who started at the weekend and try to keep it as impartial as I possibly can, it would be a 50/50 split, and that's without Bolasie and Abraham in the side yet. and a decimated defence. 

Given that you need 11 players - I am intrigued by the 50/50 split.  Presumably the head / brain of an older player and the heart & lungs / legs of a younger one.  But which two would you use to create your Frankenstein monster midfielder?!  (Sorry but the pedant in me couldn't NOT reply!)

Edited by allani
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, allani said:

Given that you need 11 players - I am intrigued by the 50/50 split.  Presumably the head / brain of an older player and the heart & lungs / legs of a younger one.  But which two would you use to create your Frankenstein monster midfielder?!  (Sorry but the pedant in me couldn't NOT reply!)

Let's go with outfield players then :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If he's tried to force Adomah out I can imagine that will upset the squad, quite a lot.

He won players player of the year last season (I think) which means he's well liked and well respected in the group, forcing him out or trying to do so may well end up seeing SB leave, whether directly or indirectly.

The only time I really wanted him gone was after the 3-0 defeat to Cardiff last season when, as you say, I felt like he'd lost the dressing room, that turned out to be a false dawn, for the sake of our season I hope it's the same again.

As a matter of interest would you be happy to share what it is about Bruce that allows you the level of confidence that you appear to have in Bruce's ability ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

As a matter of interest would you be happy to share what it is about Bruce that allows you the level of confidence that you appear to have in Bruce's ability ?

You have to laugh, Dave. What's the alternative ? Being driven to the exit door, like Jonah ?

The start to this season has a sense of deja vu to the start we made last season. Last season's start killed our hopes of automatic promotion and right now it seems like this start will put paid to our automatic promotion hopes this season. 

Most fans would have seen us losing at Sheffield United after the way we'd struggled so far this season. All bar the performance against Brentford were a struggle and even though we played great in that game we so easily could have lost it. Right now, can anyone see us beating the likes of Boro, West Brom, Forest, Leeds etc?

Bruce seems to have learnt nothing from last season and because of that he surely needs to be changed. 

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 4

He had the team to be promoted last year and didn't make it. Although we have a dodgy defence this year, does anyone really believe if the team was the same, he would get us promoted this year, cause I don't. He has installed no playing style, he still don't know his best team, an just signs quality to get him out the shit. The Burton fiasco was made up of players he has actually coached, proves his coaching works yeah??

He's finished, he'll be gone after the next couple of losses, unless we go on one of his infamous lucky runs, which I doubt it. I think he has lost the players, once you start blaming the players, an the away fans turn, the game is over. Sorry H&V, Villa is Villa SB is not Villa, so I care not if it was announced tomorrow.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villan-scott said:
How eerily similar to our current state of affairs. He’s got to go sooner rather than later!!

A leopard doesn't change his spots. Bruce is still doing the same things he has always done, hence the dinosaur moniker. 

• Like 1

On 02/09/2018 at 16:20, terrytini said:

Well I’m not.

I stated an opinion. People queried it, I answered them. Some have been kind enough to respond positively.

Im not sure why you use the term ‘ spurious’. It’s my opinion that retaining Bruce was effectively the same as reappointing him. I know it isn’t literally the case, and I know it’s not a verifiable fact, I’ve said it’s how I view it.

I take the view they professionally assessed what they needed, and couldn’t do it. You take the view they said “ he can have it for now because we don’t know enough to decide”.

I don’t mind your view, but it’s a bit rich to suggest it’s more likely than mine. Additionally, if they DID do it tha5 way, I think ( there it goes again, my opinion) that’d be a cause for concern.

The CEO you refer to wasn’t here. Are you suggesting the astute owners just stuck a pin in a board, or said “ what the heck, let it roll for now” ? I’d suggest that any view you have of what they did is also based on nothing more than assumptions.

The point is, if you take the Posts as a set, all I’ve done is express my view and what’s behind it.

Ive been polite and used common sense back. I’ve explained my opinion. Of course it’s based on my assumptions, which I think are logical. You are free to disagree, as you rightly say others have. But I’m not at all sure it’s your place to tell me I’m arguing for the sake of it - which is PFE and not allowed.

You are, I understand, free to block, or not read, my Posts ? 

Terry, ive worked in many large organisations, including football clubs, where there has been a cjange of ownership, and to a one, on no occassion have the senior members of the organisation been removed without getting the opportunity to 'prove their eorth'.

That you find it more likely they just couldnt find someone better or couldnt bring in the one they wanted its highly unlikely, and very rare.

Hell i worked for a multinational insurance company that went into administration andwas bought out.  Not a single member of the board or msnahement team other than the ceo were removed within the first year whilst the new owners took stock.  Businessmen, as Swaworis and Edens are, would be far more likely to go down this type of route.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, vreitti said:

Honestly, I wouldn't trust Bruce to get us promoted even if he had the Man City team.

That’ll be because, “We’re just a couple of players short”. 

Not to mention some of them are having trouble with their laces.....

• Haha 3

The Aberdeen manager has said that we bid too late for Scott McKenna. He said we bid £7m which wasn’t enough anyway, but the primary reason they rejected it was that they had no chance of replacing him. He said he’d spoken to Bruce the previous week and Bruce had said we were thinking of bidding and was told he needs to get on with it if he’s going to. When the bid came in 5 hours before the window closed he said it was too late for them to find a replacement.  

I’m not sure if that is Bruce’s fault, there may have been other factors, but the guy said it was Bruce who made all the calls. Shambolic whoever is to blame. Hopefully the new CEO won’t allow that to happen in the future. 

Edited by DaveAV1

2 hours ago, Nabby said:

Point 4 is exactly what he is doing now with Hutton and Tuanzebe !!!

It's **** eerie reading point 4 given it was written in 2011. That seriously could have been written yesterday it's 100% spot on. How can he still be doing the same shit 7 years on? I know the saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks", but even the most inept human beings on this earth learn from their mistakes eventually. I'm convinced more than ever that he's doing this shit on purpose for whatever reason. 

The team is much better than last season, Apart from the defence (we played some big games with Jedi last season).

We have Mcgin, Grealish and Kodjia (two to begin the season), El Ghazi, Bolasie and Abraham.

We have a World Cup player in Birkir (who aren’t playing every game) and couple of good backups.

Yet we aren’t playing football, we’re more clueless than last season.

If it wasn’t the takeover, we would have definitely gone down at this rate and pathetic tactical approachs.

9 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

The team is much better than last season, Apart from the defence (we played some big games with Jedi last season).

We have Mcgin, Grealish and Kodjia (two to begin the season), El Ghazi, Bolasie and Abraham.

We have a World Cup player in Birkir (who aren’t playing every game) and couple of good backups.

Yet we aren’t playing football, we’re more clueless than last season.

If it wasn’t the takeover, we would have definitely gone down at this rate and pathetic tactical approachs.

Add to World Cup list.... Jedi and Elmo

Â