Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Winning against reading and norwich and even bristol city just papers over the cracks bruce will make the same mistakes again and again and again we will never be consistent in anything other than under achieving with him as manager what the above scenario of wins does is givd him longer in charge but one thing for sure we will always end up back to square one of poor tactically managed football bruce seems a nice guy but nice will not get us promoted he needs to be positive and ruthless with those that need a kick up the backside.

Edited by villan501
  • Like 1

Bruce has to go. The sooner the better. There must have been question marks at the end of last season after such a dismal Bruce management period. Poor and seemingly wasted pre-season, two games in and we look worse. Forget promotion, concern yourselves about relegation. 

• Like 3

Just now, thunderball said:

Bruce has to go. The sooner the better. There must have been question marks at the end of last season after such a dismal Bruce management period. Poor and seemingly wasted pre-season, two games in and we look worse. Forget promotion, concern yourselves about relegation. 

This even with our squad is possible ask man city and sheff wednesday fans if your too big to drop to 3rd tier. 

I backed you, I stuck up for you, I debated your cause for you.... 

Last night was a disgrace, after so much enthusiasm for this season. I feel depressed. 

As much as this pains me and will cost me a tenner and much pride with @Grasshopper I want us to lose Tuesday, so you get fired!

Didn't see the game but kept reading the match thread. Not too good is it.

Watched the first half of the Boro Sheffield game though. Boro's performance was head and shoulders above anything that Villa have produced under Bruce. Boro under Monk will probably finish in the top two and be promoted automatically. Very impressed by Bamford who did everything that Villa have been missing up top. He isn't even first choice at Boro and only played today due to injuries. Even Gestede looked decent with plenty of movement.

Just goes to show what a manager who plays pass and move football can do even with average players.

Bruce is on borrowed time now. Lose against Reading and I think Xia will pull the trigger. 

37 minutes ago, villan501 said:

This even with our squad is possible ask man city and sheff wednesday fans if your too big to drop to 3rd tier. 

We have done it before. Don't need to ask any other club.

Edited by AntrimBlack
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Last night was a disgrace, after so much enthusiasm for this season. I feel depressed. 

As much as this pains me and will cost me a tenner and much pride with @Grasshopper I want us to lose Tuesday, so you get fired!

This is probably one of the most depressing things, seeing fans who kept the faith and backed Bruce, because with that, they had hope. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but Bruce has flushed that hope down the toilet after letting that bog fester in the bowl for a while.

I wanted him gone after the Brighton game last season, but the way we played in the Walking Dead Cup in Germany gave me hope. I thought wow, we know how to shut out a game in 45 minutes, imagine what we could do in 90?

I feel let down, and he has to go ASAP. I just dread the search for a replacement.

• Like 1

I seriously think I could be a better manager, not exaggerating. My strength with coaching has always been culture and teamwork. Two things we lack in the most. 

Gimme the reins at Villa for a month, I'll do it free. 

It might not work but I promise you, you would not see a performance like last night. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

6 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I can empathise, but really, you have no need to scold yourself. All you were doing is arguing for reasonable time to be given to a manager and players who have shown they can perform at other clubs in similar situations. It wasn't even so much a passionate argument for Bruce, as it was for time. There are many intangible things which can influence success and failure and you sensibly erred on the side of wait and see, rather than diving in with your analysis. That said, given the time, he has now wasted his opportunity. 

Personally, I'm not so much depressed as baffled, as to why Bruce has failed to implement 'his way' on this team. Personally, I never really liked him as a manager of other clubs because his professional salt of the earth banter just comes across as hokey, but never the less, he often seemed to fashion a side capable of getting results and going on long winning runs, even if the end product was predominantly functional, rather than stylish.

There was a spirit and determination to his teams' displays, which most of the time, guaranteed a performance at the very least, but that core feature, (which was really just a reflection of him as player and a man), has not been transposed at Villa. Many of us were prepared to accept his somewhat lumpen approach as a needs must, but the results have now dried up and without determination to succeed, or a system that encourages flare to create problems for the opposition, what else have you got?

By his own admission, he doesn't know what to do and he has nothing left to give, so he has to go. Allardyce is a more effective Bruce, so would probably get us in the top six this year, but he is apparently retired now and again, has his limitations. I think we have decent players, they just need organising to their strengths by a manager with nous. Warnock would jump at Villa and could probably do a job,, but he's also unlikeable. 

We need someone with the right mix of imagination, ingenuity and steel, who can hit the ground running and wouldn't take months trying to 'understand' the Villa conundrum. Possibly someone who has been watching from afar and may even be secretly coveting the job. Is Dean Smith our next John Gregory?

Edited by Lerner's Driver
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Can anyone tell me Bruce's record without Kodjia playing. I've a feeling it's shocking

Had a quick look, I think it's....

League games with Kodija 

Wins 14

Draws 5

Defeats 11

League games without Kodija

Wins 1

Draws 3

Defeats 3

Going back to bed now.

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Can anyone tell me Bruce's record without Kodjia playing. I've a feeling it's shocking

Right, tried to get some numbers but had to mostly work this out for myself. Numbers for all championship games with Bruce in charge.

Without kodjia

Played 7 games

won 1

lost 3

drawn 3.

Goals scored 5

Conceded 9

With kodjia

Played 30

Won 14

Lost 11

Drawn 5

Goals scored(kodjia) 33(18)

Goals conceded 31

I give in. I'm in a world of hopelessness with Villa.

i don't care now, Bruce has to stay....why you may ask? I'm sick of the Villa.  We change owners, we change CEO, we constantly change managers,  how many players have gone through our squad over the last six years yet I'm seeing the same thing over and over and over again.  Poor play, conceding easy goals, lack of creativity and so few goals.  

Doesn't matter whose at Villa from top to bottom it doesn't change at game time.  I love Tony.....Keith impresses me.....I'm sick of having the same conversation about our current manager, whoever it is, and saying the same thing. I'm sure the next manager we'll say the same things that are being said about Bruce.  

So I'm sticking my neck out and I'm staying with Bruce whatever happens over the coming months because I'm sick of change of personnel yet no change in game time. Never been fussed with Bruce especially with his links with blose before us.  He's here and has very strong history of promotion so I'm putting my eggs in this basket and believe he can turn this around. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I give in. I'm in a world of hopelessness with Villa.

i don't care now, Bruce has to stay....why you may ask? I'm sick of the Villa.  We change owners, we change CEO, we constantly change managers,  how many players have gone through our squad over the last six years yet I'm seeing the same thing over and over and over again.  Poor play, conceding easy goals, lack of creativity and so few goals.  

Doesn't matter whose at Villa from top to bottom it doesn't change at game time.  I love Tony.....Keith impresses me.....I'm sick of having the same conversation about our current manager, whoever it is, and saying the same thing. I'm sure the next manager we'll say the same things that are being said about Bruce.  

So I'm sticking my neck out and I'm staying with Bruce whatever happens over the coming months because I'm sick of change of personnel yet no change in game time. Never been fussed with Bruce especially with his links with blose before us.  He's here and has very strong history of promotion so I'm putting my eggs in this basket and believe he can turn this around. 

This is basically how I feel...

Just looking at the stats the biggest standout is that winning run we went on, we didn't concede in 7of8 games and we're still about 1 goal per goal conceded. 

Even with kodjia we just don't score close to enough, and Bruce has to take the responsibility for that because of the way we set up. 

Yet despite the best part of a season and an entire preseason we find ourselves a couple of games in to a new season and we still don't have a plan of attack, that's why imo we should be looking to see who else is available.

I'm not saying we sack him now, but he needs to prove we can score goals quickly.

51 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I can empathise, but really, you have no need to scold yourself. All you were doing is arguing for reasonable time to be given to a manager and players who have shown they can perform at other clubs in similar situations. It wasn't even so much a passionate argument for Bruce, as it was for time. There are many intangible things which can influence success and failure and you sensibly erred on the side of wait and see, rather than diving in with your analysis. That said, given the time, he has now wasted his opportunity. 

Personally, I'm not so much depressed as baffled, as to why Bruce has failed to implement 'his way' on this team. Personally, I never really liked him as a manager of other clubs because his professional salt of the earth banter just comes across as hokey, but never the less, he often seemed to fashion a side capable of getting results and going on long winning runs, even if the end product was predominantly functional, rather than stylish.

There was a spirit and determination to his teams' displays, which most of the time, guaranteed a performance at the very least, but that core feature, (which was really just a reflection of him as player and a man), has not been transposed at Villa. Many of us were prepared to accept his somewhat lumpen approach as a needs must, but the results have now dried up and without determination to succeed, or a system that encourages flare to create problems for the opposition, what else have you got?

By his own admission, he doesn't know what to do and he has nothing left to give, so he has to go. Allardyce is a more effective Bruce, so would probably get us in the top six this year, but he is apparently retired now and again, has his limitations. I think we have decent players, they just need organising to their strengths by a manager with nous. Warnock would jump at Villa and could probably do a job,, but he's also unlikeable. 

We need someone with the right mix of imagination, ingenuity and steel, who can hit the ground running and wouldn't take months trying to 'understand' the Villa conundrum. Possibly someone who has been watching from afar and may even be secretly coveting the job. Is Dean Smith our next John Gregory?

Just because you and others failed to spot obvious issues doesn't make it the sensible decision. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Nothing from the Dr or Wyness, perhaps they are busy.

I hope you know something. 

I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but it's clear to see we're heading the wrong way... again! The amount of quality in the squad and that's the tripe served up. 

To say he hasn't got the players to roll sleeves up and get stuck in, when he had Terry, Whelan, Taylor, Chester out there is baffling. 

He's lost it now. 

Â