Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Khizzy said:

Guy who scored two goals for them is apparently a Bluenose... he must have been up for it from the word go, whereas our players are happy to plod along.

Fairly sure I saw he was a "boyhood Villa fan".

Also, and not in response to the post in quote here, people often say like "omg they got this Mendez-Laing guy whilst we skunked £13m on McCormack". Mendez-Laing was released by Rochdale. Imagine the scenes if we signed that type of player. 

Edited by bobzy

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He'll keep persisting with Gabby who's scored his two-monthly goal so he and we are doomed

If he bangs in a consolation on Tuesday I'm fully expecting a three year extension to be announced.

Get this wrinkly ballsack out of my club please Tony, and please appoint somebody that has some idea of setting up a team to play football.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Fairly sure I saw he was a "boyhood Villa fan".

Also, and you in response to the post in quote here, people often say like "omg they got this Mendez-Laing guy whilst we skunked £13m on McCormack". Mendez-Laing was released by Rochdale. Imagine the scenes if we signed that type of player. 

That is a very good point .....and there lies a problem, I think we have.

expectation and a desperation to get back has worked against us I fear.

but I have to say, when players are being paid well......we need to see a shift.....not just "shadow boxing" to coin a phrase......fully blown commitment......winning balls on the ground and in the air( to gain flick ons)

There still appears a lack of hunger.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

That is a very good point .....and there lies a problem, I think we have.

expectation and a desperation to get back has worked against us I fear.

but I have to say, when players are being paid well......we need to see a shift.....not just "shadow boxing" to coin a phrase......fully blown commitment......winning balls on the ground and in the air( to gain flick ons)

There still appears a lack of hunger.

I mean, if somebody at Sunday league level told me "he didn't believe in tactics" and just told me to go out and play and punt the ball long, I wouldn't want to play for him. This is a professional football club with a huge history.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He'll keep persisting with Gabby who's scored his two-monthly goal so he and we are doomed

He persists with Gabby and Hutton.  It says he can't turn it around. Get rid of these two and you will be at least be in with a small chance.  Because he keeps playing them he should have been gone long ago.

• Like 2

Its a disappointing day for me to be writing this, because I always thought he will turn this around.

It seems crazy to be writing like this after only the second league game.....but I think that game today was a defining moment for Steve Bruce and Aston Villa Football club. He looked for me a beaten man, its not like him to be like that....for all his faults he is a winner at heart and he showed that so illustriously in his Man U days

I think its sad because i wanted to see some stability creep back in to the club. and while he is not the most technically gifted manager I think paradoxically its the combative side of the game where i think he is struggling to get them to compete.....its seems one of his peers Neil Warnock is able to show him how to do it.....that must hurt a man like Steve Bruce and I think it showed in his interview.

I happen to like the guy, I think most fans do really.....seems like an easy guy to have a pint with.....that said he knows more than we, he has to win games.

The most disappointing and defining thing for me is this.....all teams have problems of some sort and managers set about to eliminate those faults.....I think still at this point in his rebuild, we have far too many and its spooked him.....he looks like a man drowning in how much fault he can see.

I watch our team and simply see too much that is wrong.

Its like watching a captain of a ship's face when he sees the size of the hole in the side......it then just becomes a waiting game for the inevitable.

I hope I am totally wrong and he recovers.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its a disappointing day for me to be writing this, because I always thought he will turn this around.

It seems crazy to be writing like this after only the second league game.....but I think that game today was a defining moment for Steve Bruce and Aston Villa Football club. He looked for me a beaten man, its not like him to be like that....for all his faults he is a winner at heart and he showed that so illustriously in his Man U days

I think its sad because i wanted to see some stability creep back in to the club. and while he is not the most technically gifted manager I think paradoxically its the combative side of the game where i think he is struggling to get them to compete.....its seems one of his peers Neil Warnock is able to show him how to do it.....that must hurt a man like Steve Bruce and I think it showed in his interview.

I happen to like the guy, I think most fans do really.....seems like an easy guy to have a pint with.....that said he knows more than we, he has to win games.

The most disappointing and defining thing for me is this.....all teams have problems of some sort and managers set about to eliminate those faults.....I think still at this point in his rebuild, we have far too many and its spooked him.....he looks like a man drowning in how much fault he can see.

I watch our team and simply see too much that is wrong.

Its like watching a captain of a ship's face when he sees the size of the hole in the side......it then just becomes a waiting game for the inevitable.

I hope I am totally wrong and he recovers.

I generally agree with most of what you say Tro, so rarely comment because you've already said it. As far as we stand today, he's gotta go, we are purely regressing, I've made this call mainly on today, never should we be losing a second tier game 3-0 (someone referred to Brentford) but this was different, 5/6-0 would not have flattered Cardiff, when things start to drift like this it's game over, we or the Dr needs to do the business because our squad can be turned around after only 2 games, unfortunately Bruce isn't going to see this through, we've no style, no plan, no pattern (even if it's genuine hoofing) we need an identity and a character to stand up to, and get rid of the shite like Gabby, Hutton etc...then we can start to move forward, in my view!

Edited by Mammoth10

He needs to be making substitutions as soon as he sees something is not working, if its the first half so be it. The team is big enough now, if a player is not grafting or its not working make a change. One of the biggest downfalls of Bruce is he don't know when to change it, so leaves it till 70+ when its all over.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, andyh said:

What **** shite will the Bruce apologists have to explain the latest aberration?

:wave: 

Not sure I'd call myself an 'apologist' as such, but I've previously been very confident that he's the right man for the job and that we have the best set of players in the league. I honestly believed he would address the shortcomings of last season and we had everything in place for a great season. 

I was dissapointed with his decision making against Hull, but balanced that against a great opening half hour, with enough chances created to win two games. I didn't see today coming at all. An awful performance all round. Even when we were 'on top', it was pedestrian or hoof ball, with only Onomah showing any kind of desire to be brave on the ball. It was the type of performance I'd hoped we'd seen the back of. There was so much wrong with everything, I can't even be arsed to think about it. Woeful. 

I'm not going to change a belief after two games, but he's got a mountain in front of him now and I've developed more doubts about his ability to climb it. I'm pissed that he's not picking Hourihane too. 

Needs a win and a performance at Reading or it's gonna get to real ugly, real fast. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mammoth10 said:

I generally agree with most of what you say Tro, so rarely comment because you've already said it. As far as we stand today, he's gotta go, we are purely regressing, I've made this call mainly on today, never should we be losing a second tier game 3-0 (someone referred to Brentford) but this was envy, 5/6-0 would not have flattered Cardiff, when things start to drift like this it's game over, we or the Dr needs to do the business because our squad can be turned around after only 2 games, unfortunately Bruce isn't going to see this through, we've no style, no plan, no pattern (even if it's genuine hoofing) we need an identity and a character to stand up to, and get rid of the shite like Gabby, Hutton etc...then we can start to move forward, in my view!

I am now at a loss to say what is wrong.....and I have little confidence in any manager that we could realistically acquire who could fix it......so I am not going speculate.

I think we will hit on someone and out of sheer luck like sir Ron, it will happen.....all the wise speculation seems to count for nothing.

but hey, he is still with us.

• Like 1

The reality of it is that if we win at Reading and we'll al be singing a different tune or many will but for me its not about individual results but the process and I have never felt that was right under Bruce. Yes Kodjia comes back and we start winning a few games again and I said before that Kodjia kept Bruce in his job but he shoudn't be dependent on one player not after having two transfer windows. I want to see us play good attacking football like Wagner has achieved at Huddersfield and we're never going to get that under Bruce. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

The reality of it is that if we win at Reading and we'll al be singing a different tune or many will but for me its not about individual results but the process and I have never felt that was right under Bruce. Yes Kodjia comes back and we start winning a few games again and I said before that Kodjia kept Bruce in his job but he shoudn't be dependent on one player not after having two transfer windows. I want to see us play good attacking football like Wagner has achieved at Huddersfield and we're never going to get that under Bruce. 

There is a big flaw in that statement.  We won't win at Reading.  Last year we did but it was a smash and grab.

• Like 1

Â