Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Just because you and others failed to spot obvious issues doesn't make it the sensible decision. 

With the greatest of respect, you have no idea what I saw or didn't see, all you know is that I called for time and a reasonable approach because that's all I did! Irrespective of the outcome, there was absolutely nothing wrong with that at the time and nor is there now. We can all scream I told you so in hindsight, but every manager has their positives and their negatives, every manager is a gamble and more to the point, most of them fail, especially with us. So, let's be clear, you and others have no special insight or gift in predicting future success.

59 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Had a quick look, I think it's....

League games with Kodija 

Wins 14

Draws 5

Defeats 11

League games without Kodija

Wins 1

Draws 3

Defeats 3

Going back to bed now.

The very worrying thing is, if you extrapolate those results over a season, with JK we get 72 points which leaves us outside the play off places (80 was the 6th place total last year). Without him we get 39 points and are relegated. Shocking!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

With the greatest of respect, you have no idea what I saw or didn't see, all you know is that I called for time and a reasonable approach because that's all I did! Irrespective of the outcome, there was absolutely nothing wrong with that at the time and nor is there now. We can all scream I told you so in hindsight, but every manager has their positives and their negatives, every manager is a gamble and more to the point, most of them fail, especially with us. So, let's be clear, you and others have no special insight or gift in predicting future success.

I'm not claiming to. But I'm not the one saying my approach was the sensible one and everyone else was wrong. 

I may have got it completely wrong regarding Bruce, I said so many times. But having the opinion he should go because of the issues I saw was not the foolish thing to do IMO. 

• Like 3

I still think giving him time was the right and sensible thing to do, given our past with constant change and given his credentials. 

However I also feel that the sensible thing to do right now is get him out. I don't know who to get in, but we have no hope of going anywhere (except maybe league one) with performances like Cardiff.

• Like 1

Let's not bicker about who was right or wrong to allow him time or not allow him time. What seems to be clear now though is that he has no support at all. I thought I'd be the last person to turn on a manager 3 games into a new season but the backwards strides that we have taken are completely alarming. I really would take back any of our 5 previous managers right now.

• Like 2

Keeping Calderwood short term is perfectly fine until we can get someone else in. Bruce seemed a dead man walking after the game yesterday. 

I think the board know they'll have to act quicker than they did with RDM with Bruce faltering so early on. 

The most grating thing is he's hoisted himself on his own petard relative to what a large majority on here have been saying would cost us. Giving Gabby a chance. Persisting with Hutton after signing Bree. Signing a left sided midfielder in Hourihane and constantly playing him on the right when he came here. It's hard to fathom

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Keeping Calderwood short term is perfectly fine until we can get someone else in. Bruce seemed a dead man walking after the game yesterday. 

I think the board know they'll have to act quicker than they did with RDM with Bruce faltering so early on. 

Calderwood needs to go at the same time.

I agree on the second point, he won't get 10+ games.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

No, it really isn't..unless you are happy watching thesame shit and throwing away more precious points.

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

The most grating thing is he's hoisted himself on his own petard relative to what a large majority on here have been saying would cost us. Giving Gabby a chance. Persisting with Hutton after signing Bree. Signing a left sided midfielder in Hourihane and constantly playing him on the right when he came here. It's hard to fathom

Selling Rudy, buying Hogan.

Buying a goal scoring midfielder. Playing him DM.

Not ideal at all but I'd ask Terry to take over short term and failing that Little. I very much doubt we have an active list of possibles ( we should but I doubt we have) but we need a new manager asap

Not another dinosaur like Warnock, McLaren or Moyes and not another idiot like Sherwood or RDM but a progressive manager like Wagner ( who if we had got when we could we would be watching PL football now)

Action required today ( but more likely during the international break when we've lost two more and squandered another few weeks of the window)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

He did, just not what you think. We could have got him.

The thing is we tried gambles with lambert, sherwood, and garde. At the time a lot of people on here wanted someone proven at this level and a "safe pair of hands" 

wagner was deemed another gamble one we couldn't really afford to take, so I don't think it was a bad decision to appoint Bruce ahead of Wagner. It's easy to say now it was mistake now  that Wagner got Huddersfield up.

there is no guarantees he would have done any better. He may have but we will never know.

• Like 1

When he came in I thought he made us harder to beat and more organised. I knew the football would make my eyes bleed. But like many on here the constant lack of fight or desire was grinding me down and I saw and still see the logic in a Bruce type of manager. Warnock and McCarthy were the other 2 mentioned at the time I seem to remember. Maybe it appeals to me after witnessing our last trip to the second tier and the coming of Taylor, ok we then took a punt on Venglos but Atkinson came in and added a bit of sparkle to a solid base. He inherited a team with an ingrained work ethic. I genuinely think this is what we need to get out of this mess. Especially when Lansbury and Gabby stroll around like yesterday.

I'm still embarrassed this morning after watching that. We got schooled by a hard working unit AGAIN. This is just repeating the mistakes of last year. Why play so open though? why not, with our appalling away form and striker injuries play 3 across the middle and one up top? Why not, when 20 mins into the game it was obvious we were overrun pack the midfield against warnock? It defies all sense and reason. We have no divine right to go up. We had no divine right to stay in the PL. We're suppose to work for it. ALL us fans know this. That's why if they try hard and fail we'll cut them some slack. Johnstone, O'Hare and Onomah deserve a nice Sunday off. The rest of them should be dragged into work today and made to explain a few things. As others have said 2017/18 and Gabby and Hutton are starting games? All summer I've been expecting awful football. I was thinking he might have been the guy to teach these idiots how to take a throw in though, or score from set pieces but then it's not like the last 5 managers have bothered either.

Not that 2 games in is a time I thought I'd lose patience either. But yesterday was appalling.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Calderwood is part of the problem too - hopefully there will be a man lined up to come in the same day - it may seem harsh but other clubs have done it .

id hope the powers that be have someone in mind and that it's not JT or moyes.

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No, it really isn't..unless you are happy watching thesame shit and throwing away more precious points.

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Calderwood needs to go at the same time.

I agree on the second point, he won't get 10+ games.

On second thoughts maybe suggesting Calderwood sticking around wasn't the greatest idea. I forgot our complete capitulation last season coincided with CC coming in. 

Whatever happens, it needs to happen soon!

• Like 1

Â